remote recording

Started by billjw, September 21, 2012, 06:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billjw

Ok, first post but it's a dumb question type :!

Does my PVR (topfield 7100) need to remain on in order to record or is stand by enough?
If I have to leave it on constantly it seems a bit weird bit of that's the answer then that s what I have to do.

Cheers

P.s. I have tried to find an answer here. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough ;)

Bill

raymondjpg

It will wake itself up from standby, and switch itself back to standby after completing a scheduled recording.

If you use any of the front panel controls or RCU while the PVR is recording, you will need to use the sleep timer to instruct the PVR to switch itself off after completion of recordings, or switch it back to standby manually.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

However, the PVR does need to be on* sometime between when you add or change a recording on the IceTV Web page and when the recording is due to start. Even if the PVR is on when the change or addition is made, it may take up to 15 minutes for the change to be copied to the PVR, so last-minute additions or changes may not make it in time.

This is the same for IceTV and all PVRs AFAIK, and is because the PVR only updates its IceTV information every 15 minutes while it is on.

* Some PVRs have a "power-saving" and "normal" standby. Their "normal" standby counts as being on. Beyonwiz's and Topfield's "standby" really means "off, but able to start to make a recording".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on September 22, 2012, 03:43:08 PM...and is because the PVR only updates its IceTV information every 15 minutes while it is on.
According to some diagnostic logs provided to me by the Ice techs the TF7100HDPVRt updates its EPG every 60 minutes or so, and schedules every 30 minutes or so, while it is on. The first schedule update after switching on from standby is about 5 minutes after the first EPG update.

The first EPG update is shortly after switching on from standby, assuming that it is more than 60 minutes since the last EPG update.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on September 22, 2012, 04:20:45 PM
Quote from: prl on September 22, 2012, 03:43:08 PM...and is because the PVR only updates its IceTV information every 15 minutes while it is on.
According to some diagnostic logs provided to me by the Ice techs the TF7100HDPVRt updates its EPG every 60 minutes or so, and schedules every 30 minutes or so, while it is on. The first schedule update after switching on from standby is about 5 minutes after the first EPG update.

The first EPG update is shortly after switching on from standby, assuming that it is more than 60 minutes since the last EPG update.
Thanks. The 15 min was from my experience with Beyonwizes. I'd assumed that Topfields had the same update regime.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing