New firmware 1.07?

Started by darrenk, August 31, 2012, 11:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toppytools

Quote from: swamprat96 on September 17, 2012, 03:36:55 PM
But apple can read samba? I've got a macbook that reads samba just fine. I'm obviously missing something?
Forgive me if you already know the following.

Samba, or SMB, is a network file sharing protocol, like NFS is. Windows network file and folder sharing uses SMB. SMB supports goes two ways, sharing and reading. Each device may only have SMB support in one direction. Computers normally can both share their folder(s) and file(s) to other devices/network-users and access shared file(s) and folder(s) on other SMB shares (devices). Mac OS supported SMB sharing up until Lion, when Apple stopped including SMB sharing. Now Mac OS only supports accessing SMB shares on other devices.

If SMB is enabled in OSX (pre Lion) or File and Folder Sharing is enabled in Windows then any network devices that can browse SMB network shares will be able to see and play whatever media files are in the shared folder(s) - assuming the security permissions on the folder(s) and file(s) allow access from the device or user trying to access them. For a device like a PVR this usually, but not always, means that the shared folder(s) and file(s) must allow 'guest' or 'anonymous' access.

Some PVRs, like the Beyonwiz PVRs, can access and play media from SMB shares but it cannot share it's own files via SMB. PVRs like the Topfields and the Humax do not support SMB at all. It seems to be DLNA or SMB but rarely both.

Being able to access SMB shares on a NAS server or a computer from the Humax would be great, especially for those devices that do not include a decent, or any, DNLA client. 

toppytools

Quote from: ActionFlash on September 20, 2012, 11:32:01 AM
My unit arrived yesterday with 1.05, so I updated to 1.07 which went well. The IceTV EPG only shows a few channels though, the rest are blank (think I need to read the various posts on this though).
Sounds like the channels or region in your account do not match the channels that the Humax picked up. For example, you may be in Wollongong and have the region set to Sydney.

Check your region and Logical Channel Numbers (LCNs) here:
https://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmembers.cgi

Also, it won't play mkv files, should it? I'm sure I read somewhere that 1.07 added support for mkv files?
swamprat made that comment, but it's not Humax's list of changes. I haven't tested it yet (I have other network media players) but it is possible that swamprat's mkv may have contained a format that the Humax does play, or his DNLA server may be transcoding the mkvs into another format.

ActionFlash

QuoteSounds like the channels or region in your account do not match the channels that the Humax picked up. For example, you may be in Wollongong and have the region set to Sydney.

Check your region and Logical Channel Numbers (LCNs) here:
https://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmembers.cgi

Good guess on the locations, I am in Wollongong and had the region set to Sydney! Anyone know if Wollongong would be classed as NSW Regional North or South?

swamprat96

Also, it won't play mkv files, should it? I'm sure I read somewhere that 1.07 added support for mkv files?
swamprat made that comment, but it's not Humax's list of changes. I haven't tested it yet (I have other network media players) but it is possible that swamprat's mkv may have contained a format that the Humax does play, or his DNLA server may be transcoding the mkvs into another format.
[/quote]

Yes they are playing now- but not on the list of changes as toppytools said. I'm using tversity as my server on windows not WMP piece of crap that it is

ActionFlash

Maybe they have added support for the mkv container but my files are encoded with an unsupported codec? I will have a further look tonight and do some comparisons.

Lincolnlad

Since updating my firmware to 1.07.00 my connection to tversity via a TP-linkTD-W8920G wifi modem drops every 15 minutes. Is this a known issue with this firwmware as all worked perfectly before update?

I am also finding the Humax box is crashing quite a few times when playing avi files via USB and has to be force restarted by switiching power off. Is this a known issue?

I purchased this item in June and was initially happy but have become unhappy with the recent issues. Any ideas what is going on?

swamprat96

have you added a new wifi device? Try setting the Humax to a static ip. Sounds like a clash

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: ActionFlash on September 20, 2012, 01:03:00 PM
Anyone know if Wollongong would be classed as NSW Regional North or South?
Wollongong is included in NSW Regional South.

Sydney is classified as the centre. So north of Sydney is NSW Regional North, and south of Sydney is NSW Regional South.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

optimistic

I updated to 1.07 a few days ago, did a system reset including a format of the HDD.

Everything ran smooth and my scheduled recordings worked fine until this morning the EPG was blank... after a power cycle it came back instantly but for how long?  >:(

swamprat96

what are your power settings- standby enabled?

Bam001

EPG still going blank.

Seems to happen when the box is recording one channel and I change to other channels.

optimistic

I've got standby OFF. When it's ON the box takes longer to boot (annoying) but it seems to refresh the EPG every time.

swamprat96

yep- thats known behaviour. If you can put up with the longer boot the problem goes away. Not saying its right but it will fix your issue for now