The Topfield/IceTV Marriage - Is it on the rocks?

Started by Paul55, August 23, 2012, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul55

Has the long partnership between IceTV and Topfield ended?
None of the latest three Topfield PVR models are IceTV capable.
The 2100 is a very basic unit with no internet capability, so completely understandable.
The 7170 looks a capable machine with ethernet. This was promoted as an improved partner to the 7160 which doesn't sport IceTV - a decision I thought odd at the time.
Now the 2470 has been released as the top of the range machine. Despite (seemingly) being based on the 2400/2460 models, It doesn't support IceTV.
Any comments?

IanL-S

Well, from time to time they have had difficulties getting on, so maye Topfield decided it was just too hard to get it working properly.

I'm not sure where Topfield are psoitioning the nw 2470. It apparently has a new main board, since it does not have AV imput but does have both eSATA and USB connectors. I suppose they may be uing a 7100+/7170 main board. I could seen iView + IceTV interactive as interesting, but IR + iView is not for me.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Paul55

Well, it's nearly a year since I started this thread and my concern seems to be have been justified. There looks to be a new Topfield model coming soon (TF6000??) and it doesn't appear to be IceTV compatible.
Furthermore, the IceTV store is no longer offering Topfield products. Sounds like the relationship is dead in the water.
This is worrying for us IceTV subscribers/fans as the relationship between Ice and PVR marketers is symbiotic. If PVRs don't support IceTV, our subscriptions will be near worthless - not to mention the unacceptable loss of functionality. I have never considered buying a non-Ice capable PVR, but these are getting thin on the ground. I'm not completely sold on the Humax, so where to from here when it's time to upgrade/replace my current units? I won't be manipulated into buying a product I don't want, so this could force me underground to Channel BT.
It would be nice to get some input from IceTV for its customers.

IanL-S

I notice that Toppro are now only selling one IceTV capable PVR; the 2460 is no longer listed as a product. So we have gone from 3 (2400, 2460 and 7100+) to one.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

csutak40

Interesting (telling?) that there is no comment from IceTV  :(
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Paul55

It's good to see that the Toppy 2400 is back in the IceTV store. Not sure what, if anything, that means regarding this discussion.

IanL-S

I had noticed IceTV were again selling the 2400.

I also notice that the Korean Topfield www site keeps on disappearing. Not sure if it mean anything.

Ian
Synology NAS