Different MAC Address since updating firmware????

Started by marky12, July 28, 2012, 12:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marky12

Hi,
This morning I did a factory reset as I forgot to do it after updating firmware to 1.06.01 when it came out.
Either I'm really missing something or the MAC address is displayed incorrectly.
Ever since buying the 7500t it's MAC address ended in 9e:e0
Now if I go into settings, system, it tells me the MAC address ends in 59:8f

Now this is really weird; my Billion Router has some fixed host dhcp addresses setup, one of which is for the Humax, using MAC address ending in 9e:e0
I go into the router settings via my PC and check for wifi candidates while only the Humax is on and 9e:e0 is available, 59:8f is not listed.
I've setup the router so it won't allow an incoming connection unless the MAC address is recorded in it's settings.
The Humax is connected to internet OK as is IceTV.

So it appears the MAC address hasn't really changed.
I could delete the original MAC address on the router and setup the 'new' one to see if it allows the Humax to connect but since it already is, I'm reluctant to mess about.

Anybody else notice similar issue or am I alone?
Cheers
Mark

swamprat96

I run a Billion 7800n but I haven't gone to this stage. Reason being that if I fix the IP on the Humax it is forever forgetting it when on wifi.

However the Billions are known for doing odd stuff like this. Good routers but the firmware does glitch. I had a problem where RDP would just not work- until I factory reset the router and reapplied the settings.

marky12

Mine is the 7404VNPX. I've never had a problem networking the Humax with the Billion. When the router detects the MAC address from the Humax it issues a preset IP address. Only reason I do this is so FTP can find the Humax quickly because it always has the same IP address. If WiFi detects a MAC address that's not prelisted in its settings, it refuses the connection. This works good too as it's not too often I need to add another device to the home network.

Only problem I have with the Humax now is occasionally I get a failed recording, usually get around 10 minutes before failure. This has never happened while I'm sitting watching stuff via the Humax and it's recording. Since the message says something like 'Recording failed due to unknown error, do you want to play this file?' I get no hint as to what the problem is.
It is a software thing because it never did this when I first purchased it from IceTV. The original software was rock solid and caused me no problems at all. Only appeared after first firmware update. Each new firmware initially has me hoping the problem will go away, but it is not to be. Last night 'Once Upon a Time' failed while I was out.

Still a better device than the crappy Topfield I had before.
Cheers

swamprat96

good to know. I might try that setup this weekend with mine. It would be nice to issue an ip based on mac. I'll let you know what I find