Humax not recording 3D

Started by dabbles, July 30, 2012, 06:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabbles

I set up the humax to record 3d highlights of the Olympic games opening ceromony as I wasn't going to be home and have a Samsung 3d tv,  reservation in the schedule list seemed to be fine and the recording icon in epg showed ok but the recording failed (nothing in recorded programs list) I then tried to do a manual recording of the 3d channel which failed as well, the unit seems to display that its recording the channel but nothing shows in the recorded list.
I then decided to do a factory reset and format the hard drive and retry the above steps again - still fails to record.
Is this unit capable of recording 3D? or could it be a glitch in firmware? If someone could shed some light on this would be most appreciated thanx..

I'm running 1.06.1 firmware and have done the steps as per Daves (icetv) topic

swamprat96

I wasn't aware the humax supported 3d

dabbles

I'm not too sure either swamprat69 - did a search and it doesn't say that it doesn't support 3D, most other brands of the same caliber like Tivo, Magic Tv do.

swamprat96

Hmm. The humax saves in the TS format. TS can apparently support 3D but looking at UK humax posts- Humax does not.
That being said I don't know enough about 3D to say thats the answer- but as none of the documentation mentions it I'd be guessing there is no support :-\

dabbles

Thanks for the reply, If the Humax doesn't Support 3D hopefully a firmware update could accomodate this at some stage..

prl

Quote from: swamprat96 on July 30, 2012, 09:58:21 AM
Hmm. The humax saves in the TS format. TS can apparently support 3D ...
Posts on the Beyonwiz forum indicate that Beyonwizes with the most recent firmware record and play back 3D (on suitable TVs). Like the Humax, it, too, records in in the broadcast format, which for normal broadcasts, is indeed MPEG2 Transport Stream. However, the trial dedicated Olympics services (both 3D on LCN 95 and 2D on LCN 96) are broadcast in MPEG 4/H.264.

Could it be the MPEG4 coding that's causing the problem on the Humax rather than the 3D? Can you view/record/play back the 2D Olympics service on LCN 96 on the Humax? I'm reasonably sure that the the dedicated Olympics services are the first Australian MPEG4 broadcasts since the release of the Humax in Australia, so even if it is supposed to handle MPEG4, this may be its first test on Australian MPEG4 broadcasts.

The picture quality on these two services is reported to be very good. Unfortunately, I can't verify that myself, since here in "regional" Canberra, we're not being favoured with these broadcasts.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

dabbles

Has anyone else tried to record 3d on the Humax?

prl

Possibly more tellingly, has anyone tried to record the 2D dedicated Olympics service on LCN 96?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

dabbles

mmm.... I'll try and record the 2D Olympic channel later and see what happens  :o

dabbles

Dedicated 2D olympic channel 96 recorded fine last night  :-\

prl

So it does look like it's a 2D/3D problem, then, and not an MPEG2/MPEG4 problem.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

toppytools

The channel 96 SD Olympic test broadcast is regular SD MPEG2 (at least it is after the Humax transfers it to USB). So the issue could still be a recording MPEG4 issue.