Problems with IceTV's service for TRF-2400 owners

Started by mothy, April 18, 2012, 10:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on April 20, 2012, 11:29:23 AMI use iiNet as my ISP, and I've never has this kind of problem with IceTV on my Beyonwizes. You'd think that any HTTP caching problems that the ISP has would mess up IceTV no matter what PVR was at the other end, unless the Topfield IceTV server is sending out different (and inappropriate) caching control headers from the Beyonwiz IceTV server.
I have had an issue on and off over the past month with reservations passing successfully to a Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, but not updating with full red circles on the Ice My Week page. On raising a support ticket I was advised that it might be a caching problem with my ISP, but I was having no such problems with updating to full red circles with my Beyonwiz DP-P2.

Watching from the sidelines the seemingly endless problems that Topfield 24 series owners appear to be experiencing with IceTV, I wonder if in trying to fix their problems the IceTV capability of my usually reliable TF7100HDPVRt is somehow being compromised.

If that is the case, I would certainly prefer that it weren't so!

I sympathise with Topfield 24 owners. It took some eight months for Topfield to come up with a firmware version for the TF7100HDPVRt that worked with Ice, and did not run the risk of bricking the PVR. It looks to me as if Topfield 24 owners have been labouring with inadequate IceTV functionality for longer than that. I may have bought one if IceTV functionality was proven to be reliable, and given the rather erratic IceTV performance lately with the TF7100HDPVRt, even considered a second Beyonwiz DP-P2 to replace it. I have stuck with the TF7100HDPVRt mainly because file transfer to a Windows 7 pc is both faster and more reliable than from a DP-P2. I can live with red circles not updating on the Ice My Week page because I manually apply pre-padding to all PVR reservations, so check anyway that they have passed successfully to the PVR. This would, however, not be satisfactory for anyone setting reservations remotely.

I also sympathise with IceTV having to work with anyone whose competence or commitment to making a PVR sold as "IceTV-enabled" work reliably, might be seen as less than satisfactory.

But I really would like my old steam-driven TF7100HDPVRt to be working reliably again.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Vortical

Well I've got a 2460 and 7100HDPVRt both active with IceTV and using iiNet as my ISP and both my machines have been working solidly for a few months.

In fact the 7100HDPVRt has been rock solid for years now with zero timer fails.

The 2460 had a little dummy spit that was resolved quickly with IceTV around the time the last official release occurred.

I've certainly not experienced any eratic timer or epg behaviour lately on either of my IceTV enabled PVR's

raymondjpg

Quote from: Vortical on April 25, 2012, 12:55:37 AMIn fact the 7100HDPVRt has been rock solid for years now with zero timer fails.
Mine too, and EPG and timers still pass reliably to the PVR. It is only recently that timers have not been updating as they should on the My Week page.

Quote from: Vortical on April 25, 2012, 12:55:37 AMThe 2460 had a little dummy spit that was resolved quickly with IceTV around the time the last official release occurred.
Would you say that all IceTV issues have now been resolved with the 2460, and 2400? If they have I might seriously consider getting one to replace the 7100HDPVRt.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

The current firmware for the 2400/2460/7100+ is essentially the same. That for the 7100+ has some features removed (IR rcording ... no loss to IceTV users), DLNA, Youtube and ShoutCast).

As far as I can work out, the IceTV part of the firmware is identical.

I have not been having serious issues with IceTV (2 x 2400 + 2 x 7100+). However, several times recently I have has no EPG data, or EPG data for one network completely absent. I have seen this both on the 2400 and 7100+. Strangely is does not seem to affect timer downloads which seem to be working OK.

I use BigPond cable and have never had any ISP related issues.

It is unclear if the issue is one related to the Toppy firmware or IceTV.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on April 27, 2012, 04:02:54 PM
The current firmware for the 2400/2460/7100+ is essentially the same. That for the 7100+ has some features removed (IR rcording ... no loss to IceTV users), DLNA, Youtube and ShoutCast).

As far as I can work out, the IceTV part of the firmware is identical.

I have not been having serious issues with IceTV (2 x 2400 + 2 x 7100+). However, several times recently I have has no EPG data, or EPG data for one network completely absent. I have seen this both on the 2400 and 7100+. Strangely is does not seem to affect timer downloads which seem to be working OK.

I use BigPond cable and have never had any ISP related issues.

It is unclear if the issue is one related to the Toppy firmware or IceTV.
As you pointed out to me in this thread http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=3340.0 on 14 March "IceTV have tweaked their servers in some way...." and go on to say "...and this incorrect indication of queued timers which have in fact downloaded has been remedied."

As the problem recurred recently with my TF7100HDPVRt I have come to the conclusion that some more tweaking has been going on. The problem has once again gone away, possibly temporarily, perhaps due to some tweaking back to what works for me, unless and until some more tweaking again results in what does not work for the TF7100HDPVRt. I hope not!

Your issue with EPG data for 2 x 2400 + 2 x 7100+ may, or may not, be related. You acknowledge elsewhere that you don't use your TF7100HDPVRt much, and may not have noticed the behaviour I have observed recently with this model, possibly due to hokey pokey tweaking.

There are probably not too many of us TF7100HDPVRt owners left. I've registered with the beta testing program principally so that this model is not overlooked in the quest for a better IceTV experience.

Looking at other threads for the 2400 and 2460 it appears that firmware has arrived at a point where it appears to work reasonably well with IceTV. As with the TF7100HDPVRt there may be a few more iterations before it can be set as working 100% reliably. At least there don't appear to be reports of firmware updates wrecking the PVR.

rob_fakes

Are folks out there still experiencing this issue? I've only had my 2460 for a month or 2. Set up IceTV and JustEPG (using XMLTV) and it all seemed to be working fine until a few days ago at which point my EPG loads appear to have stopped working - or if they are working I can't see the resultant data. Just tried upgrading to the latest firmware, factory reset and re-doing all the setup stuff. No joy so far. I'll try Ice support in the next couple of days but thought I'd touch base here first.