Wallander ABC Melbourne

Started by csutak40, June 17, 2012, 04:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csutak40

Is this definitely a repeat?  Not marked as such, which of course means nothing.   :-\
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

Madeleine IceGuide

This is the very first episode of the UK version of Wallander. It hasn't been on the ABC before but it has been on Ch 7, which is why we have repeat flagged it. It was originally shown at the end of 2009 in Australia.

It looks like ABC has the rights to this show now. If they keep going in order then we should be seeing new eps (Series 3) in a couple of months.

Cheers

prl

The Swedish Wallander episodes on SBS, though, are new. And Henriksson is a better Wallander than Branagh anyway ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

:-[

I got myself confused over this one. We've been watching episodes of the Swedish Wallander that were on SBS1 late last year (Nov/Dec). The one coming up on SBS1 1:05, Sat, 23 Jun (The Courier) is definitely one we've seen before, and SBS is correctly marking it as a repeat in their online guide. IceTV doesn't have it marked as a repeat.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on June 18, 2012, 05:07:17 PM

I got myself confused over this one. We've been watching episodes of the Swedish Wallander that were on SBS1 late last year (Nov/Dec). The one coming up on SBS1 1:05, Sat, 23 Jun (The Courier) is definitely one we've seen before, and SBS is correctly marking it as a repeat in their online guide. IceTV doesn't have it marked as a repeat.
"The Courier" is the third  in the second 13-episode "Yellow Bird" series of Wallander with Henriksson. Are you sure it has been broadcast in Australia before? I seem to recall that SBS has just ploughed through the first 13-episode "Yellow Bird" series again, as is their wont, before treating us to a "new" series.

I'm not sure that Henriksson is a better Wallander than Branagh. They are different for sure, and I would agree that the two Yellow Bird series were more cohesive and to my mind much more enjoyable than the "English" Wallander. Without Johanna Sallstrom I thought that the second would be less captivating than the first but ended up thinking it was every bit as good.

As a matter of interest, an early player of Wallander, Rolf Lassgård, has just popped up (if you could say that about someone who likes to dominate the set) as profiler Sebastian Bergman in a new two part drama shown recently on BBC4. Ostensibly "Strong-headed, politically incorrect, abrasive and grief-stricken, Bergman has still not come to terms with the loss of his wife and daughter in the 2004 Thailand tsunami." Curious, as it is said that being caught up in the tsunami was what caused Sallstrom to become unhinged again and eventually take her own life.

For afficionados of Scandinavian crime drama, keep an eye out for The Bridge (Bron-Broen), also shown on BBC quite recently (Joint Danish/Swedish production, ten episodes about one hour each). Pretty good, but like other recent Danish offerings perhaps a little long-winded.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on June 18, 2012, 05:55:01 PM
Quote from: prl on June 18, 2012, 05:07:17 PM

"The Courier" is the third  in the second 13-episode "Yellow Bird" series of Wallander with Henriksson. Are you sure it has been broadcast in Australia before? I seem to recall that SBS has just ploughed through the first 13-episode "Yellow Bird" series again, as is their wont, before treating us to a "new" series.
If it starts with a motorcyclist running the Swedish border checkpoint, then yes, we've definitely seen it, but I'll record it anyway to check. We've definitely seen the following from the second series: The Crossing Guard (that's what Bing Translate tanslates Hämnden to; Border Guard may be better), The Guilt (Skulden), The Thief (Tjuven), The Cellist (Cellisten), The Priest (Prästen), The Leak (Läckan), The Sniper (Skytten) and The Angel of Death (Dödsängeln). We watched the recording of the last one only a few days ago.

We have unwatched recordings of The Ghost (Vålnaden), The Heritage (Arvet), The Collector (Indrivaren) and The Witness (Vittnet), the last 4 episodes of series 2. They were broadcast on SBS2 between Nov 13 and Dec 4 2011.

Quote from: raymondjpg on June 18, 2012, 05:55:01 PM
For afficionados of Scandinavian crime drama, keep an eye out for The Bridge (Bron-Broen), also shown on BBC quite recently (Joint Danish/Swedish production, ten episodes about one hour each). Pretty good, but like other recent Danish offerings perhaps a little long-winded.
You couldn't possibly be thinking of the first series of The Killing (Forbrydelsen), could you? ;)

Anyway, I'll keep a look-out for The Bridge. We are generally fans of Scandinavian crime TV.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

The episodes that you list as shown in 2011 are definitely from the second Yellow Bird series of Wallander. The title that I have for the first episode (probably translated by the BBC) is "The Revenge".

Not only the first series of Forbrydelsen, but by the time they had learned their lesson (having missed out on awards that they probably deserved) they still pumped out a 10 episode sequel mainly memorable for Sarah Lund's sweaters.

Paradoxically the longer a series goes, the better the characterisations. It doesn't always work out so well. For example Sofia Helin who plays a Swedish detective with Asperger's in Bron Broen had some difficulty with proceeding about half way through the series because she realised that she was becoming like her character. You can almost see the transition in the way she plays the part.

The latest IceTV update on what's on this week lists Vera (from the UK) coming up on Prime this Friday. It is probably the first series, in which it is said that Brenda Blethyn (a very fine actress) had some difficulty in finding her way into the part in just four episodes. I found the first series entertaining, but the second series of four episodes where she finds her feet has passages that are simply outstanding TV. Well worth watching!
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Madeleine IceGuide

The Courier has an airdate attached from September 2011 so we will repeat flag it as well.

Thus both the UK version on ABC and the Swedish version on SBS are repeats this week.

Re. Vera. We included this in our newsletter as it looks interesting. Unfortunately due to the AFL it's only being shown in half the country on Friday night. If it's not listed in your area you can still set up a series recording now, which will catch it when it's shown in other states like Victoria.

Thanks

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on June 18, 2012, 06:36:20 PMAnyway, I'll keep a look-out for The Bridge. We are generally fans of Scandinavian crime TV.
Starts on SBS2 Wednesday 5 September.

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on August 23, 2012, 03:05:19 PM
Quote from: prl on June 18, 2012, 06:36:20 PMAnyway, I'll keep a look-out for The Bridge. We are generally fans of Scandinavian crime TV.
Starts on SBS2 Wednesday 5 September.
Thanks. Will keep an eye out for it. Taking over Spiral's timeslot, I see.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on August 23, 2012, 05:47:18 PMThanks. Will keep an eye out for it. Taking over Spiral's timeslot, I see.
It is in Ice's New Shows, but the most recent screenings of Branagh's Wallander on BBC1 (July 2012) based on Mankell's novels An Event in Autumn, The Dogs of Riga and Before the Frost don't show up yet. Probably a matter of time. Not well thought of by the critics from what I could see, but more focus on the character of Wallander, vying with Lewis for the award of most miserable detective on TV.

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on August 23, 2012, 06:08:36 PM
[The Bridge] is in Ice's New Shows, ...
Yes, I saw that just after I posted. Recording already set up :)

I'll watch out for the upcoming UK Wallander.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

A couple of links that may be of interest:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-10-08/the-killing-3-to-air-from-november-on-bbc4
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-07-13/the-best-script-since-the-killing-heading-for-bbc2
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-05-28/borgen-series-three-will-likely-be-its-last-reveals-the-shows-creator

Lilyhammer was apparently scheduled to show on SBS1 in August, but I don't recall having seen it screen yet. There are no links to it on the SBS site, and a search on Lillehammer comes up with links mainly to the world game.

prl

There are entries for Lillyhammer on IMDB and the Online TV Database. OTVDB says it first aired on Norwegian NRK1 in January this year and ran to mid-March, so it's still relatively new. IMDB says that there's a second season coming up in 2014.

OTVDB says it's in English, IMDB says English and Norwegian, which sounds more likely, since it's about a New York criminal who hides out in Norway after testifying against former colleagues.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on October 29, 2012, 04:50:06 PMOTVDB says it's in English, IMDB says English and Norwegian, which sounds more likely, since it's about a New York criminal who hides out in Norway after testifying against former colleagues.
It is in English and Norwegian, so subtitling is a must, at least for those of us whose first and second language is English. It has been shown in the UK already, not as popular as it was in Norway, but the Brits have come to expect sterner stuff for their Scandinavian crime drama fix. This one is what they are pleased to call a dramady.