Enough already with the Witty Channel 9 Content Descriptions

Started by ozbear, July 31, 2006, 09:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtb

Quote from: Jason W on July 31, 2006, 08:23:51 PM
This has however caused me to not recommend this service to 2 people now who have asked me "My Media Center doesn't have any TV guide?" after seeing my MythTV setup. I would have said, "There's a great service available now with good reliable data, descriptions and everything!" and I'm pretty sure they'd have signed up.  I do not want to tarnish my professional image by recommending this service as it stands now with the descriptions. They would notice, they would definitely care.
There is of course the 14 day trial option - simply advise them of the option and tell them about the comments, otherwise you are acting as censor for them.

I, on the other hand, have recommended the service to other I.T. professionals with whom I work.  I've shown them the trial, the free guide on-line (via PIMP) and pointed out the comments, giving them the background and reasons for both the Nein and other comments.  Frankly, they couldn't care less about the descriptions, they saw the value of the accuracy of the service with regard to times and content, the rest was generally dismissed or considered icing on the cake.

I still believe it would be a gross waste of the limited resources to develop two data streams and, had the float gone ahead and I had become a shareholder, I would have resisted any such waste of my investment.

So let Ice have their say about Nein for the short while until the court action is concluded, since it is Nein's action which is the cause of all this and, win or lose, the comments will go away once the courts decide.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

benji720

How about we just get rid of the silly comments now?

Yes, Nine is taking action against IceTV.  Yes, if IceTV loose, we all loose the TV guide for MCE and that isn't a great result.  However none of that means I want to read silly comments about it on my TV guide every night.  They don't help Ice's case.  They don't change anyone's opinion.  It isn't "sticking it to the man".  It just makes IceTV look immature and childish.

Please revert to plain vanilla descriptions that you would expect to get from a professional tv guide service.

Thanks.

BJReplay

Let's keep them running.

Honestly, how many people read the description for the news or aca every night - and if so, FFS, why?  Are you unsure of the presenters?  Perhaps you're unsure of the title?  There is nothing - nothing whatsoever - that can be provided in the description that is remotely useful to assist in your decision on whether to watch or record these programs.

It's a joke.  If you don't like the joke, ignore it  - or ask for a refund, and choose another guide provider that does provide descriptions for programs that you do like.

philzgr8

Quote from: BJReplay on August 04, 2006, 08:30:29 AM
Let's keep them running.

Honestly, how many people read the description for the news or aca every night - and if so, FFS, why?  Are you unsure of the presenters?  Perhaps you're unsure of the title?  There is nothing - nothing whatsoever - that can be provided in the description that is remotely useful to assist in your decision on whether to watch or record these programs.

It's a joke.  If you don't like the joke, ignore it  - or ask for a refund, and choose another guide provider that does provide descriptions for programs that you do like.
I can't say I totally disagree with you but the fact is that those who object have a valid point. They are not paying for political commentary just a factual TV programme guide. If they were subscribing to "A Joke A Day" then I see no problem but since that isn't the case I think they're entitled to get what they are paying for and were given to understand they would get.

benji720

Quote from: BJReplay on August 04, 2006, 08:30:29 AMIt's a joke.  If you don't like the joke, ignore it

I understand that it's a joke and when they first appeared I did smile.  However jokes wear thin.  And this one isn't even all that funny.

See if you can think of any other public listed company that puts jokes on their product specifically aimed at discrediting one of their competitors.  All I'm asking for is a professional service.  (Yes I know IceTV is not listed, but that's what they were/are aiming for)

The descriptions appear every time you select the show from "Recorded TV" or you scroll over them in the guide.  You can't avoid them. 

As I said above, the point is all the comments do is make IceTV look immature and childish.  Why is that something to be encouraged?

Jammer

Hi all.  I've only recently moved to ICE due to most epg sources using encryption.  Initially, I didn't mind the witty content descriptions but now they really annoy me.  My wife has even complained a number of times recently "We're paying for this????"  And when the wife complains, I know that I'm on dangerous ground when the time comes around for subscription renewal.

I'm kind of regretting my hasty decision to move to ICE now.  Whilst it's nice not having to worry about whether or not the epg grabber is going to fall over each day due to new source encryption, I feel that I'm now paying for an inferior product whereas I used to get a far better product for free.

Sorry ICETV.......but I'm one of those subscribers who would far prefer more professional extended info, or at least have a choice between serious data and "ICE Man" data.  How about it???

srto2

To paraphrase an old adage, if you don't respect your enemy, you are going to lose the war.

Not showing respect to Nine is puerile.  Some of the Iceman's comments are not going to look too good if or when they are read out by Nine's QC in court.

The Ice service is worthwhile but there is no excuse for ongoing snide comments about any station's program content.

Regards,
Rob Garratt

mattunderground

I agree totally - we are paying for a commercial product. I feel these childish cheap shots that we have to view every day is wearing very thin. Please act like a commercial company and not a teenage flamer.

marto_martin

Keep the laughs coming IceTV  :D

As you've said there's no important info removed so no problem at my end!

marto_martin

Love the Footy Show's info tonight  ;D

Great work "IceMan"

marto