Padding Missing?

Started by The_Hawk, March 08, 2012, 07:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamprat96

agreed- I've had no issues with padding either since changing power settings. I am now hanging on to the unit. Now I just want longer padding

hg34

Have just reset the "power" options as recommended....will monitor over the next few days to see if successful or not.

jeisner

Quote from: carlprowse on June 02, 2012, 12:46:58 PM
We have not had any padding issues in over a week since making the power saving setting changes recommended by Humax. We use the IceTV app on iPads to control the PVR (one of the use cases that need to be tested.

As stated I still had issues, maybe less often but it wasn't right still.. My other problem with that fix is the unit goes from using 1w in standby to 30+ watts in standby.. I don't need another device sucking 30 watts 24x7 because padding won't work.. YMMV of course..

BTW if you only watched the PVR on average 4 hours a day 365 days a year, changing the standby mode for the other 20 hours would cost an extra $54 a year in electricity (by my calculations).. These things add up and it is not an acceptable fix whilst telling me/us that the difference in power usage is "negligable"..

QuoteOn the broader issue of the suitability of the Humax/IceTV solution, I am quite pleased. It is a huge improvement on my old Pansonic PVR

Not to mention the Strong units ICETV sold in the past, terrible stability in my experience.. So yes it is an improvement..

What bothered me is ICETV has described the issue here and know there is an fault, they also mentioned it would be fixed in "weeks not months". So many weeks later Humax is seemingly back peddling and trying to blaim ICETV, they only agreed to refund me when I pointed out my Topfield unit doesn't have padding issues on the same shows, so it can't be ICETVs fault..

Anyway mine has been returned now, I am waiting on ICETV to contact me so I can organise the topfield replacement, I am curious to see what happens on this issue, if/when it gets fixed other than disabling the advertised 1w standby mode (which wasn't 100% anyway for me)..

QuoteI chose the Humax/IceTV combination because it appeared to be the easiest for my wife to use.

That is true it is the most friendly for non-technical minded people I think.. Apple users would love it..

QuoteBTW, the ABCs iView app is really well implemented

Agreed..

ozpowell

As I mentioned on 26/5, the power settings have no effect on this issue for me.
--
Humax HDR-7500T with IceTV

hg34

Padding workaround seems to be working ok for me.

hg34

Unit locked up early this morning.....couldn't Power Up via remote (had to turn off/on at the back).....anyone had this issue ?

(Have since found another thread that references to this problem)

jeisner

Well as I said I sent back my Humax, on friday my replacement Topfield TRF2400 arrived, low power usage standby and reliable recording (with padding)..

Thanks ICETV for sorting it out..

No more Humax for me, sticking with Topfield  ;D

ozpowell

Touch wood - I haven't seen this issue for about a week now.  Not sure if it's something that's changed with the IceTV EPG or if the power work-around has suddenly decided to fix things for me...   :o
--

swamprat96

Question-is padding supposed to work if you hit record on a current program? If so its not working- I hit record on "The Block" last night and no padding was added. My wife missed the end of the show. I'm not popular. I have power saving disabled

ozpowell

Anyone tried 1.06 with power saving enabled yet?
--

stt602

Quote from: swamprat96 on June 21, 2012, 09:57:02 AM
Question-is padding supposed to work if you hit record on a current program?
I think the answer is no. If you want start recording manually, just hit the red recording button twice and increase duration in 10 minute steps in the pop up menu.

Quote from: ozpowell on July 06, 2012, 07:30:06 PM
Anyone tried 1.06 with power saving enabled yet?
Padding worked for me in power saving, but the epg was out more than my padding time. ::)
Humax HDR-7500T 500GB

kay67kay

my padding is not working intermittently. i was reading through this thread, thinking i might find an answer, but then realised this is all really old stuff. anyway, i have series record set for judge judy. i have my padding time set for 5 at the start and 20 minutes at the end. today, it recorded with no padding. yesterday it had padding. wednesday had no padding. i have my automatic power down switched off because of earlier freezing issues. also, for next monday, when judge judy is on, the schedule on the humax says it will record from 1500 - 1530, but shows no program name. it's just blank. on tuesday it actually says judge judy.

what is going on here? i have the latest firmware and did the reset thng and everything.

Dave at IceTV

Hi Kay,

This thread may be old but the final solution is still the same. i.e. Make sure that your Humax has the latest software installed.

How to upgrade the Humax software (firmware)
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/20414081-How-do-I-upgrade-the-firmware-of-the-Humax

Many customers needed to do a factory reset after upgrading the software before the padding started working correctly. So if you continue to have missing padding after the software upgrade then please see our 'Recommended Firmware Update Steps' written specifically to solve the padding issue, here:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/21690712-Recommended-Firmware-Update-Steps

Also be aware of when the Humax (or any PVR) can and cannot add padding. Twin tuner PVRs like the Humax cannot add padding between 2 back to back shows on the same channel. They also cannot add padding at the end of a recording if 2 other recordings are starting or overlapping at the time that the first recording ends (because it cannot record 3 channels at once so the padding gets dropped in preference to the other recordings).
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

kay67kay

hi dave. thanks for the response.

i've already updated software and done the factory reset to stop other problems (disappearing guide and stuff). i have only one series programmed to record during the day. nothing before or after on any channels. i understand padding from having a tivo for the last 4 years or so. i've never had a problem with that, and thought the "intelligent" type padding on the humax would be great, cos i wouldn't have to go in and manually change the padding between 2 back to back shows. but it's not doing what it should be doing. it's just randomly deciding to add padding or not when it sees fit. should i do another factory reset? what difference would that make when i've already done one since upgrading the software?

toppytools

Hi Kay,

When 1.06 was released many people needed to do the full steps here:
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/21690712-Recommended-Firmware-Update-Steps

A couple even had to do it twice, so it certainly would not hurt to do it again.