Encrypted recording - not too bad to get around??

Started by NewAtThis, March 20, 2012, 02:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewAtThis

I have been looking around for a unit to replace my TVIX 6640N and the Humax HDR7500T seems good to me and likely to have a good WAF (she mostly only uses PVR functions.)

What put me off initially was the encrypted recordings. I occasionally record shows for my wife's parents, and then convert and burn to dvd for them, so this was an issue. But it seems that all I need to do is copy to a usb drive, then onto my pc to convert etc. Is that correct? For somthing I only do every couple of months this is no big deal.

swamprat96

Yes thats essentially it. Read Scottb's posts- and also be aware that files over 4gb will be an issue unless the drive is formatted as EXT3 (the humax can do this).

I replaced my 6640n with this unit and am pretty happy. However I do miss samba - this thing uses DLNA- and make sure you use TVersity as the server on your PC for streaming or you'll have poor results.

The menu is way nicer and easier than the Tvix- and a lot more stable. Its picture is superior to the tvix and the tuners are stronger. WiFi is very stable.But it can't play all the file types the TVIX could- nor does it handle vob files well. And forget MKV's - which in my mind is an issue as many of the blue ray rips are done in this format now

I'd rate it 7.5 out of 10. But its probably one of the best units available currently

NewAtThis

Thanks swamprat. Your reply was helpful.

Now I'm suddenly not so sure. I had issues with DLNA on the TVIX - it would show videos based on tags rather than the filename, and many of the tags in files I had were not helpful. I would rather connect directly via NFS or similar as I did with the TVIX. And I do have enough mkv files that this is a bit of an issue.

My other thought was to go for 2 separate units, a Tivo for high WAF, and a Boxee for me.

swamprat96

if you install tversity(free) it works well. I have mine set to file name only and I can see all files no prob.

But yes mkv is a problem