Beyonwiz DP-P2 "Failed to get a channel list"

Started by MagicTyger, February 04, 2012, 09:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicTyger

My old BW DP-S1 died.

So I bought a new BW DP-P2 today.

It's connected to our LAN and can browse all servers on the network.

It can get info over the internet via WizTV so I know internet connectivity is ok.

But I can't get it to fetch the EPG.

I enter my user id and password on the "Ice Guide" screen, select "Enable" and continually get the message  "Try to get a channel list / Failed to get a channel list".

When I click "Check User Info" I get the error ", there is a long delay (a couple of minutes) then a message "Network connection failed.  Check the network connection first".

I viewed the log of my firewall, and can see network activity for the BW IP address whenever I do WizTV stuff, but there is no network activity when I "Check User Info" or enable Ice Guide.

It appears to me that the BW is not doing anything when I ask it to get the IceTV EPG.

I changed my user ID and password on IceTV.  I deleted the info on the IceTV website about my old BW and added info about the new BW.

As far as I can tell I've done everything to make it work, but it doesn't.

I'd really appreciate some assistance.

prl

Quote from: MagicTyger on February 04, 2012, 09:19:12 PM
My old BW DP-S1 died.
The DP-S1 is prone to power supply failures. One of the regulars on the Beyonwiz forum, warkus, has developed a good reputation for repaiting DPS1 power supplies. You might want to try contacting him to see if that's a possibility for your old S1.

Quote from: MagicTyger on February 04, 2012, 09:19:12 PM
When I click "Check User Info" I get the error ", there is a long delay (a couple of minutes) then a message "Network connection failed.  Check the network connection first".

I viewed the log of my firewall, and can see network activity for the BW IP address whenever I do WizTV stuff, but there is no network activity when I "Check User Info" or enable Ice Guide.
How long ago? On 30 Jan, there were some problems while a new IP address for IceTV's servers was propagated through the DNS server systems. There's a chance that your problem could be related to that.

If you've seen the problem more recently than 30 Jan, perhaps the old IP address is cached somewhere. You could try restarting tour DP-P2 and/or your router.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

MagicTyger

Quote from: prl on February 04, 2012, 10:59:31 PM
The DP-S1 is prone to power supply failures. One of the regulars on the Beyonwiz forum, warkus, has developed a good reputation for repaiting DPS1 power supplies. You might want to try contacting him to see if that's a possibility for your old S1.
Thanks  :)

Quote from: prl on February 04, 2012, 10:59:31 PM
How long ago? On 30 Jan, there were some problems while a new IP address for IceTV's servers was propagated through the DNS server systems. There's a chance that your problem could be related to that.

If you've seen the problem more recently than 30 Jan, perhaps the old IP address is cached somewhere. You could try restarting tour DP-P2 and/or your router.
This problem is happening today.  My firewall is showing no activity for the BW when I click "Check User Info" or Enable IceTV and try to fetch the EPG.  It doesn't appear to be trying to access the wrong IP address - it appears to be doing nothing at all.

The BW has been power cycled numerous times, as has my router.

What domains is it trying to access?  What IP addresses should they resolve to?  I am happy to check my DNS here to make sure it's all ok.

Just to reiterate though - the BW network connection is fine.  WizTV works, the LAN in the BW has an IP address.  It just seems as though anything to do with IceTV does absolutely nothing.

Is this something I should be asking the BW people about?

(My BW firmware version is 1.07.350)

MagicTyger

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I had DHCP enabled on the BW, which was using my locally assigned DNS.

I changed it to manual, and assigned the Google Public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and now everything works fine.

One strange thing though - when I tried to check, the BW said "Please sent your device at the PIMP at www.icetv.com.au".  Not sure what that meant, so I've added the same device twice, and it now appears to work.

antshel

I am experiencing the same problem and tried the below solution, but I can not figure out how to do it properly.  The DNS is looking for a format that is 000.000.000.000 and I dont have the skills to fix.

I changed it to manual, and assigned the Google Public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and now everything works fine.

jillmess

Quote from: antshel on March 11, 2012, 10:29:27 AM
I am experiencing the same problem and tried the below solution, but I can not figure out how to do it properly.  The DNS is looking for a format that is 000.000.000.000 and I dont have the skills to fix.

Use 008.008.008.008 and 008.008.004.004 ie fill any spaces with leading zeros.

antshel

Use 008.008.008.008 and 008.008.004.004 ie fill any spaces with leading zeros.

Cheers, I tried this on the day and it kept up with the same error message (no change at all), so I am wondering if I have an broader problem :(

AC

prl

Quote from: MagicTyger on February 05, 2012, 12:42:26 PM
One strange thing though - when I tried to check, the BW said "Please sent your device at the PIMP at www.icetv.com.au".  Not sure what that meant ...
PIMP is the name of the IceTV protocol. Where it says "PIMP", read "PIMP server". The rest is down to the coders not being native English speakers, but "sent" may have been intended to be "set".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

toppytools

When the Beyonwiz says "Please sent your device at the PIMP at www.icetv.com.au" it means that you do not a 1st device in your device list. This usually happens when you have deleted a device in your account. The Beyonwiz is not smart enough to check for a 2nd, 3rd or 4th device if there is no 1st device.

To fix it you just need to add another device to your account (even an unused device) so that the 1st spot is not empty. Customers cannot see which device number each device has, but adding a new device will occupy the 1st spot if it is empty.