File type support

Started by swamprat96, January 21, 2012, 02:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamprat96

I'm tryng to work out what file types are supported
So far I've found avi,vob, divx and mp4 is OK- but mkv is not. Anyone want to add to the list?
srt subs are OK but must be ANSI format
Humax has not listed what is supported anywhere. It just says xvid.

Correction. Mp4 plays but the aspect control does not work. It squashes the picture.
EDIT - see my new post. looks like 1.05 introduced a new bug. The wide button no longer has any effect on aspect. There is a workaround

swamprat96

Lack of MKV support is proving an issue. Many HD recordings legitimately available on the web are using this format now. I did see a review by IDG that stated mkvs work- but I've had no luck.

mjryan1971

I have just purchased the Humax 7500T and have found that not all AVI files will play. I haven't looked into why yet but it has been a bit hit and miss for me so far as to which of my AVI files will play.

bennliz

I'm with you swamprat - mkv support would be nice.  I have spoken to Icetv several times about this and they have submitted a request to Humax for the next update but they won't confirm if it will be included.  My blue ray player, tv and WD tv live will all play mkv's - why can't the humax?????

mjryan - try Tversity I have not had any problems with avis playing through the tversity server.  Now if only we could resume play through the media streaming service like you can with recordings on the hard drive...

swamprat96

low quality or badly formatted avi's can be a problem. I tend to always get mine from about 6 known sources that I know work when browsing - ahh- sources...;)

Ihave had the issue with the odd bad avi- note the source and don't use them again

swamprat96

AVI support is becoming irrelevant now that HD files are becoming more the norm. Mkv is becoming the standard and humax should be able to support this. I have two friends that rejected buying this unit because of this issue. Gotta be fixed guys

lukem

We've requested that Humax implement the feature but have not ETA as yet.

Do you know what the compression format is within the particular MKVs you wish to play?

swamprat96

No I don't so I'll look into it and report

swamprat96

I'm going to be honest and say I don't know. Most of the mkv files I use are about 2gb for a 2 hour video at 720p and about 6.5gb for 1080p.
Does that give you enough info?

lukem

Perhaps you can PM me a source for the MKV file as an example - then we can determine if it's just MKV container support which is required and/or if new codec support is required.

swamprat96

Ok- will arrange it on the weekend

alby

I am not having any luck with playing my AVI files.  It says it does not support the file format but i have played the same AVI file before with no issues.  It is all through tversity.  checked all settings etc, any ideas?

cheers     

swamprat96

hmm. Tried a reboot of the humax? Are these avis on the humax hdd. If streaming reboot the PC that tversity is on- I had this happen once and this fixed it

alby

Done the reboot on the Humax (lost count as to how many times I have had to reboot this box).  I am streaming from a PC and this has been restarted.  still not working.  I have tried numerous AVI files and none of them play - filed not supported?  It is weird because they have worked before.       

swamprat96

Upload one to the humax via ftp and see if it plays. I suspect your pc has codec issues