EPG Fetch stalls on 2460 after new November 2011 firmware

Started by Fester, December 07, 2011, 03:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

Quote from: markb on December 14, 2011, 04:15:34 PM
Quote from: IanL-S on December 14, 2011, 03:59:17 PM
The really weird thing is that with the 7100+, while I occasionally get a missed download of a series timer, those timers are subsequently fetched. Both firmware are dated 23 November, ..

The latest firmware for the 7100+ from the topfield site is 06-Jan-2011. What firmware are you running?

Using 23 Nov 2011 7100+ firmware. It took a while for it to get onto the Toppro www site. I got it via network update ... relatively dangerous thing to do but I took an informed chance ... it is now on Toppro www site.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

IanL-S

If EPG fails to populate, and timers fail to download, (that is, there has never been a successful EPG fetch) it may be due to a corrupt firmware installation. So do a factory reset, reinstall the fimware, do another factory reset than customise the settings.

If the EPG stops fetches or timers stop fetching, if you go into menu, installation, reset service, and then do a service scan, then reactivate IceTV it will usually fix the problem. This is less drastic than doing a reset to system defaults but it works just as well in my experience.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

asouthan

Hi, just wanted to say I'm having the same problem with the EPG fetch with my 2460. It had not fetched for several days, turning device off and on worked straight away. Hope next firmware update will fix.

wally3218

Having the same problems too.
Plus now I find that I need to check if the series recording is a repeat or not.
I have missed shows that werent a repeat and that I had scheduled to record the series off.
SONY KLV40S200 - 40 inch S series Bravia LCD TV
SONY DVPNS78H - DVD PLAYER
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming
Billion7300GRA  Windows 7 64bit

IanL-S

wally3218,

I think your problem is different to the one discussed in this thread (it only affects 7100+/2400/2460 running Nov 2011 firmware. Your problem is more general and is due to 'inaccurate' classification by IcTV rather than the firmware problem which causes EPG and Timer fetches to stall, and in some rare cases results in timers being inexplicably deleted. That is not to say that it is not a serious problem -- just a different one.

Ian
Synology NAS

wally3218

IanL-S

Yeah it does affect me I'm using the TRF 2460 as well, sorry my profile was'nt upto date.
Thanks
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming

prl

Quote from: wally3218 on January 08, 2012, 06:27:00 PM
IanL-S

Yeah it does affect me I'm using the TRF 2460 as well, sorry my profile was'nt upto date.
Thanks
I think IanL-S was referring to the part of your post about repeat flagging not working as you expect.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

wally3218

Prl....As Ian was saying  "I think your problem is different to the one discussed in this thread (it only affects 7100+/2400/2460 running Nov 2011 firmware." and the problem is the same as I do have and am using the 2460

I know it's not IceTV fault or there problem and I also check out the iTopfield forum regularly,
With the latest firmware we waited for nearly a year for it and it is still not working properly.
I believe that if something is said to work it should work 100% of the time. The need to check EPG and timers daily is very annoying.
I found out that if I switch off all your power and lights at the main switch at the circuit breakers wait 2 hours and turn everything on again it works fine for that night.
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming

IanL-S

Definitely not working correctly ... I do not think anyone is claiming that it is acceptable that we have to use the procedures described here and on the Topfield forum in order to get it to work as it should without any workarounds.

To say that I a peeved is an understatement.

Ian
Synology NAS

wally3218

Quote from: IanL-S on January 11, 2012, 07:57:06 AM

Ian
Ian would you ever recommend another Topfield Pvr or another brand. I love the Topfield when it's working properly and most of the time it is. But when shows are missed it pisses me right off. Checking and rechecking the guide and reservations is now a daily event.
Wally
TOPFIELD TRF 2460
TOPFIELD TF7100PVRT
TOPFIELD TF5000PVRT
WDTV Live Streaming

IanL-S

Yes, a PVR is better that using a TV Tuner on a computer. And yes, I would by another Topfield. I know that they can work beautifully and without any significant issues .... but sometimes firmware is released with significant issues. Not sure why it happens. Hopefully a fix will come out of Korea soon ... but then it will reuqired beta testing and may have to go back again for tweaking ....
Synology NAS

Fester

Quote from: wally3218 on January 12, 2012, 07:36:47 PM
Quote from: IanL-S on January 11, 2012, 07:57:06 AM

Ian
But when shows are missed it pisses me right off. Checking and rechecking the guide and reservations is now a daily event.
Wally

I'm with you there! IceTV for me at the moment is almost useless. Even with a view timer set it is still missing recording at times. I'm thinking of going back to the May 2010 firmware yet again for reliability! When will Topfield ever get it completely right?

IanL-S

Being a beta tester for Toppro, I cannot comment on when Topfield engineers will get this right. I understand that the engineers in Korea are working on a solution. As usual there is no ETA for a fix becoming available (any date is liekly to be widely inaccurate ... no point in creating expectations that are unlikely to be met). I agree that daily view timers do not always over come the missed timers and stalled fetches.

Ian
Synology NAS

Fester

I have now gone to setting all timers manually, as IceTV is just so unreliable now, missed my wife's Biggest Loser last night, so she was not impressed! I know it is not IceTV's fault, but my subscription is really a waste of money!

dlucas1969

Quote from: Fester on January 24, 2012, 07:29:18 AM
I have now gone to setting all timers manually, as IceTV is just so unreliable now, missed my wife's Biggest Loser last night, so she was not impressed! I know it is not IceTV's fault, but my subscription is really a waste of money!

I am rapidly getting there myself, one of the reasons I started this little journey was to make life easier for my wife to manage her shows.  Currently I have to check daily to see what is going on with the EPG and Timers, sometimes a reset, sometimes a cache purge sometimes a factory reset, sometimes sacrificing a chicken all in all very frustrating and something that I cannot expect the wife to do.  In summary it is taking more of my time for something that was supposed to save me time.