Icebox2 Power Supply

Started by dclayw, February 15, 2012, 12:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dclayw

I have an IceBox2 (Asus WL-500g Deluxe). Has been going strong for many years, still servicing my Toppy, but now I think the power supply is gone. It's exhibiting the problem where all LEDs except power and air are on (common power supply issue).

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement power supply, or can anyone recommend one that's compatible, needs to have compatible plug connection on the 5V side to pug into the Icebox. I've heard some of the PSP power supplies might do the trick.

Perhaps someone has an old Icebox2 power supply lying around that they no longer have a use for?

Thanks

csutak40

I have an IceBox too and replaced the power supply about a year ago.  Just went to Jaycar, taking the IceBox with me and they found me one that fitted
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

dclayw

Thanks. Would you mind posting a link to the one you bought from Jaycar. If I go down that path I'm going to have to buy online.

If it is indeed a faulty power supply, apparently it is usually one of the capacitors within the actual power supply that is causing the problem. Alternative is just to replace that capacitor, cheap but fiddly. I have pulled the power supply apart and one of the caps does look like it's popped.

csutak40

Sorry I don't have the link, can't remember what brand it is.  I looked on the switch and on the back it has AC adaptor model KSAFD0500300W1AU - made in China, which is not much help.  However if  a cap looks popped, that is more likely to be the problem.   Another thing - should you find you do need a power supply, slightly OT, but I needed a power supply for my laptop and went to MSY to buy one.  They told me to brink in my laptop as some that may look as though it fits, may not, anyway.  I took it in, and (no kidding) they tried about 6 before finding one that fitted.  Besides the shock of MSY actually providing customer service   :o :P it tells me that it may be worth your while to go to a shop near where you live to make sure that it fits
Cheers,
Judy

prl

What's the Jaycar power supply's output voltage, maximum current, connector type, and which part of the connector is positive?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Input 100-240V~50/60Hz 0.4A
Output 5.0V-3.0A
The connector is the same as the Icebox and the polarity is adjustable.
Cheers,
Judy

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on February 17, 2012, 04:02:44 PM
The connector is the same as the Icebox and the polarity is adjustable.
May be useful to the OP to know which way round doesn't make smoke signals :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

dclayw

@csutak40
Would it be possible for you to go to the the jaycar web site, find the one you have (hopefully it is listed there, but I couldn't find it) and send me the link. This way I can buy online and know I'm going to get a compatible unit.

prl

Quote from: dclayw on February 17, 2012, 05:27:40 PM
@csutak40
Would it be possible for you to go to the the jaycar web site, find the one you have (hopefully it is listed there, but I couldn't find it) and send me the link. This way I can buy online and know I'm going to get a compatible unit.
It looks to me that this one should do the job. The remaining question is which way round to set the polarity of the output. $21.95 each for quantities 1-4.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

That looks like the one I used to update the power to my SLUG.    As long as you do the + to tip and - to ring (I don't have an icebox, but 99% of things use that standard..) it should be fine.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

foxidrive

This one at jaycar
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3480&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1000#12

has this selection of plugs, and you can see how the polarity is swapped. 
https://secure.vividcluster.crox.net.au/jaycar2005/products_uploaded/plugs.pdf

To the OP, use a meter to measure your current icebox PSU and you will see which polarity is right, and adjust the plug on the new Jaycar PSU to have the same polarity.

csutak40

Phew!  I'm glad the question got answered for me, because it was getting waaay above my understanding. ;D
Cheers,
Judy

dclayw

Thanks everyone. A question on the jaycar one that's being recommended. Looks like that's the one csutak40 is using on his icebox so should be OK. But it is 15W (3A), whereas the original is 10W (2A). Is that going to be an issue?

csutak40

I've been told that it's not an issue.  It will in fact run cooler and last longer, with luck.
Cheers,
Judy

dclayw

I bought the recommended power supply from jaycar. The Icebox had lost it's network and wireless settings but once I set these up away it went.

Here's hoping for a few more years out of the old Toppy.

Thanks to everyone.