Dropping frames on playback

Started by swamprat96, January 15, 2012, 02:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swamprat96

Just watched an avi on the internal drive of the humax. About 1 hour 30 in the unit started to drop frames. Stopped and restarted and it went away but returned 10 minutes later. stopped and restarted and ok. I hope the cpu on this thing is up to the job. Maybe humax need to look at what else is running in the background.

Anyone else experiencing this?

swamprat96

Anyone? I've just had it occur again. Yet another bug?

swamprat96

I've found that if the avi quality varies so too does this problem. I played a legit dvdrip (avi) of Red Dog last night without a glitch. I played a "questionably sourced" avi prior to this that kept dropping frames.

Checkout the  Gspot screen of each avi - http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii497/swamprat96/gspot1.jpg. The bad avi is on the left. Note the difference in (i think) frame rates? Any idea what this means?

toppytools

The avi on the left would most likely freeze another certain brand PVR because it has a packed bitstream and is over 1GB in size. I also note that it's audio is split across interleaves which can cause problems too. Your 'good' avi also has the audio frames split across interleaves, though it is MPEG1 and not AC3.

What you describe is all fairly standard behaviour for some files types on anything other than a PC.

swamprat96

Thanks. That's a clear explanation. I guess I was spoilt by my tvix which played anything (when it didn't turn itself off!)