External HDD

Started by chucky252, December 22, 2011, 11:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chucky252

Hi Dave,
Is there a special need to format the external HDD before using it on a Humax 7500?
I have been using a Hitachi disk which it tells me, needs formating.But i couldn'd not find anywhere to format External HDD .Or do you have to format it in FAT32 on your PC as with Toppy Hardisks but lately the Topfield accepts NTFS formatted disks.Or is it that one HDD works the other doesn't?
Hope you can shed some light on that,Dave.
Joe

chucky252

I have found on page 60 of the Humax 7500 manual how to format internal and external disks,
Thank you.
Joe

Dave at IceTV

Thanks chucky.

For anyone else reading this, just make sure that you do not accidently format the 'Internal HDD'. And be aware that anything on the drive being formatted will be gone after formatting.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

chucky252

Hi,
It is absolutely certain that only Seagate HDD work as external disks and can be written to .I have a Samsung and a Hitachi Sata drive  which will want to be formatted on the Humax ,once you format them  the Humax can't see them  anymore ( before they were formated in NTFS on the PC) and they therefore don't give you the option USB drive when pushing the blue button.

As you bring the drive back to the PC ....you can't see it there either and if you need to re-use it,you must format in windows under diskmangment.
So basically what i found is,: Buy a HDD dock where the drive is easily removable and bring the drive back to your computer where you transfer a video to it on a NTFS formated disk.then the option USB will show when pressing the blue button and you can easily play video from there.
If you want to transfer a video to your internal HDD, do it via FTP. or also transfer works from Humax to PC via FTP.

lespato

Hi chucky252

I am using a Western Digital Elements 1.5 TB on the rear USB port and it works great. I let the Humax format it and both my computer and the Humax see it ok. I am using filezilla for my FTP transfers.

Les

chucky252

Hi lespato,
The unfortunate thing is that every time the Humax formats the disks be it my Samsung 500Gb or the same size Hitachi....thats it,finito! Then i can't see the disk in the Humax nor on my computer? I am slowly assuming that i have a faulty  Humax 7500 because i see that others can format the external disk on the Humax with no problems.
As i pointed out to Dave , the Humax is nowhere as good as my Topfield 7160.
It looks i have to press for a replacement machine but then if i returned it i'd take the Toppy 2400 instead.The firmware of the Toppy is written by proffessionals,whereas this firmware( quasi O/S ) is very flaky .

lespato

Hi chucky252

Do you have your external drive connected to the front port of the Humax? I read somewhare that Hard drives have to be connected to the rear usb port on the Humax. I could be wrong but I thought I read that the front port is only for flash drives. Also does your drive have it's own power adaptor?

Les

chucky252

USB HDD connected at rear ,USB flash drive( which i don't use) i would connect at front USB.
And Yes ,selfpowered HDD dock.
When formating goes on on the Humax you can see nothing. You are flying blind. Lespato,you are talking to a STGB bloke from wayback,had my first STB in 2003 ( Toppy 5000) so i know whats good in STB's and whats not.
By the questions you ask it shows you are not very savvy with STB's i, but don't worry we all have to start somewhere.

Dave at IceTV

It sounds like your HDD dock may the causing the problem. I'd suggest formatting the HDD as FAT32 in Windows using Ridgecrop's free app. Then both Windows and the Humax will be able to use it without any further issues.

Click on the pic of the app to download (NOT the google add below it)
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
cheers

Dave
Customer Service