Any feedback on Humax

Started by lespato, September 17, 2011, 01:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispydog

Thanks Swamprat, I'l give that a go when I get home.

chrispydog

Still can't get Filezilla to read the thing even though it actually connects. Is it because the Humax O/S is Linux? And that explains the transfer via USB as readable by WMP but not directly over the network?

Another quirk, now that I've connected the Humax to the network with Wifi, it does not automatically reconnect after being in standby unless you also disable the power saving option, and then it does. OK, I can easily live with that.

I did find on a UK forum where someone had done what I'd found ie transfer the URL for the saved file from WMP and put it into VLC, so it seems there really is some system incompatibility there.

But the PS3 is the only device I have on the network which will both read and play the files on the Humax without juggling the data.

So until WMP is able to do so, I'll just use VLC and if I ever need to use an XP box, I can easily send the URL to it.

Conclusion: very good PVR, some networking issues, plenty of grunt, good interface (IceTV), and yes, goodbye Foxtel!

Mission Accomplished, (as the man once said).

swamprat96

Hmm. All three of my PC's here are win7- but I can't see why that would make a difference as we are both using filezilla. Do you see three directories? Or nothing at all. Is the fault when you click on those directories?

I wonder if a factory reset might be worth a try? Maybe those three directories have been changed

Cods

Quote from: Cods on December 14, 2011, 01:24:35 PM
I bit the bullet and ordered the 1TB Humax 7500T, which was delivered on Monday.
Unfortunately, whilst it turns on fine, I get nothing on screen on my Panasonic plasma, whether connected via HDMI or Component video.
I've spent an hour or so buggerising around with the TV settings trying to work out what the issue is, and I still can't get any picture whatsoever to display.
Any tips?

Just for anyone reading my earlier post and concerned about it, I strongly suspect it's due to my TV.
Short version is:

• It's a US Panasonic plasma from 2009 brought back to Australia.
  • The TV seems to have problems with what can only be HDCP handshake.
  • The HDCP handshake issue only occurs with HD inputs that are from hardware from Australia.
Same thing as happened with the Humax also happened with an Australian TiVo, same thing happens when trying to play BluRay discs from an Australian PS3 (although games and DVDs on the PS3 are fine).
Seems obvious now that, even though it just shouldn't be a problem, the TV firmware is not set up to do HDCP handshakes with non-North American HD inputs.
No problem with the Humax unit.
Elgato Netstream DTT (recording with MacBook Pro, streaming to iPad2).
Looking for a PVR - advice wanted!

swamprat96

as I understand it- US TV's accept only a 60Hz signal. As Australia's standard is 50 Hz they won't play here. Its done deliberately by the manufacturers to prevent cheaper US models making their way to the lucrative asian market. Panasonic, Samsung and several others are known to do this. Some US Sony models work.

But what foxes me is that you obviously are receiving FTA TV OK. You'd "think" that if free to air works- the rest would

prl

Can the Humax be set to a 60Hz ("NTSC") output mode? That might keep the TV happy, though conversion from 50Hz to 60Hz is often not done well.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing