Any feedback on Humax

Started by lespato, September 17, 2011, 01:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispydog

Re Humax FTP: after many hours, I've found the server on the Humax to be useless for me. One PC cannot see it all, my Notepad (Win7) can, but will only let Windows Media Player access the saved TV recording, which being in .ts, it will not play!

So I tried using Filezilla (thanks for the hints to earlier poster), and although I could connect, it refused to open the media directory, so snookered yet again.

I'll swallow my pride and see if IE (yuk) will download it.

chrispydog

OK, finally got the file onto a USB drive, plugged it into PC and VLC would not play the file!

Not a happy camper.

swamprat96

chrispydog

Software Version: 1.01.01
Loader Version:  a7.53

swamprat96

Ok. That firmware won't allow you to play the recorded ts files as they are encrypted. Update to  1.05.01 which allows transfer to USB or hard drive.

chrispydog

Thankyou Swamprat I'll do that tonight.

I presumed that the unit had the latest firmware, as I just purchased it, but obviously not.

I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers

chrispydog

Couldn't resist giving it a go (although really, I should be out of here!), and it works.

I can stream it over Wifi to my Notepad using VLC as long as I first get the full http address of the file from the Windows Media library (where it won't play of course). Take it off Properties and bung it in the Advanced  file selection section of VLC under Networks and BINGO!

Oddly enough, a straight search for files under Network on VLC does not see the Humax, but it does see three other network devices.

Go figure.

Anyway, it shows I can get the files to play on the network with a little messing about.

Cheers

Now, gotta get out of the house.....

chrispydog

So the files can now be transferred via USB, and oddly enough when done this way, Windows Media Player (on Win7) will play them, but says it can't if I try to get them on the network on the same device (Notepad).

Strange.

Also, Filezilla will connect, but is unable to read the files: "Failed to retrieve directory listing"

And, no WinXP device will see the Humax on the network, even though I can ping it from them!

Curious and curiouser, as they say.

Any clues?

swamprat96

you won't see it on your network because its a DLNA server and an FTP server-but not a Samba server. Windows media player is a dlna server and client- so it sees the humax

filezilla works fine here- as in I can FTP to the humax no issues

chrispydog

Yeah, I did finally figure that bit about DLNA thanks Swamprat, although that does not explain why my Notepad's (Win7) Media Player can see the file, but says it cannot play it,despite the fact that it will play the file if transferred by USB.

Nor does it explain why Filezilla connects but fails to open the directory.

I did discover that the kids' PS3 works just fine, and will stream the recorded TV over the wifi flawlessly. (Currently the devices are in separate rooms).

As I'm soon to upgrade one PC and it will have Win7 that solves my main problem, and as I said before, I can strip the URL of any recorded programme and put it into VLC to get it playing on my Notepad.

Still, it would be good to know why the above things don't work.

Cheers

swamprat96

Apparently the recordings are encrypted and are only unencrypted when copied to a hard drive or USB. I say apparently because I've never tried it. But if that's correct you say your PS3 can stream off the Humax - that's a new discovery.

Pure speculation here. Based on what you've found I suspect that the Humax is a Linux based operating system - which the Ps3 is also. So there may be no encryption as such - its just a different file format which both the ps3 and the Humax share if I'm correct. Your pc cannot read the file as it needs converting.

On to FileZilla. When I FTP to the Humax I see three folders-my pictures,my music and my videos. I can open each one. But I can not transfer entire folders over. It must be individual files.

chrispydog

Not only can the PS3 stream Humax files, but VLC can too on my Notepad, so there's no encryption problem with that. Of course I still have to get the URL for any file via Media Player first, but then it works perfectly in VLC.

There is some configuration problem that I've been unable to solve with both the FTP connection and the fact my Media Player won't play the file directly over the network.

I haven't yet tried doing the VLC thing on an XP machine yet, but since they can ping the Humax (but not see the files) I suspect that should work. Just got to send the URL over first.

chrispydog

Yep, the XP box plays the files with VLC flawlessly...just can't get Filezilla to connect.

chrispydog

For the final 'grunt' test:

Put the Humax on the Wifi connection (as I intend to put it upstairs to replace Fox IQ) so will not be ethernet connected to the router, and then:

1. Watch one recored programme through the PS3 (also on Wifi connection, by the way)
2. Watch a different recorded programme on the XP box using VLC

...and then try a third programme on this Notepad, all while the TV is also running on a fourth screen.

Result: Worked perfectly for 1 & 2, but got just a little patchy when I tried the Notepad. Still watchable, but some audio dropouts occassionally.

And all over the wifi.

This machine has grunt, and apart from some networking issues that I seem not to be able to solve, I declare the Foxtel service gone!

swamprat96

try setting the ip for the humax to fixed or static. Thats what I have here. Then try ftp to that ip address