No ABC HD guide listing

Started by Timboi, May 22, 2006, 02:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timboi

I went to add listings to my ABC HD channel last night, and there was nothing in the guide listings for ABC HD......

ummmm.... what do I do now????

I understand that there has not been much listed for the ABC HD due to lack of HD content, but I still should be able to link my ABC HD channel to the ABC HD guide listing (which is currently blank). There is no ABC HD guide listing in the list of guides tho.

cheers
Timbo

billy

Same for me in the ACT - Hey Ice People, you said you have ABC HDTV in the list of channels (guide) - where is it at?

Cheers,
Billy

pvogel

Please see this thread form more information about the HD guide.

http://www.icetv.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=93.0

Basicallly, the High Definition (HD) guides that we supply are designed to be true representations of which shows are to be shown on these channels in HD. The gaps that are shown are periods where either a demo loop will be shown or where a Standard Definition shows are being shown that have been
up-converted.

If we don't have any information about what will be HD we take the safe approach of saying "unknown" and if the whole day's guide is "unknown" we don't generate a listing for that day at all.  This is a result of previous experience where people would unexpectedly miss their recording becuase it was not broadcast in HD for one reason or another.

However the situation with HD seems to be improving so we are reviewing our protocol, so any suggestions on a foolproof strategy are welcome.

Peter

Jason W

I for one like the current setup and would prefer it at least be an option in the future. Combined with the HDTV flagging already present on the main channels should give everyone what they need I'd think.

When I wish to record a HD program I set my schedule in MythTV to record on any channel instead of just "this channel only". Since I have set my channel preferences to prefer Brisbane HD channels, then Brisbane SD, then ABC2 then Gold Coast SD, if a program is available on the HD channel, it will be recorded instead of the SD version. I really like MythTV :)

As far as listing programs for ABC HD, from what I've gathered recently, ABC is starting to roll out some 720p programming starting with Planet Earth and Bleak House airing tonight (Sunday). I have manually inserted an entry into my ABC HD guide for Planet Earth but it would be nice if IceTV could start listing these programs and whatever else has been confirmed to be available in native HD. Since the 720p service isn't official yet, I understand why they have not done so yet. (ABC probably haven't given IceTV data on programs available in HD).

In any case, I like the current setup. Accidentally recording a demo loop would suck and wasting disk space on an often poorly upscaled SD program isn't very nice either.

renbry

I second the request for ABC HD - i'm looking forward to 720p Planet Earth and i can't record it automatically yet.

Matt.