IceTV data - no need to rush Daylight Savings change?

Started by dwids, April 02, 2011, 01:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwids

Hi, more of a comment.  I have a Beyonwiz DP-P2 with IceTV.  Just noted something interesting. Daylight savings about to end here in Vic, so clocks go back 1 hour (thanks for the email too, Ice!)

Without doing anything, my Timers for tomorrow (first day after change) are still 'correct'.  As an example ABC1 has "Insiders" every Sunday at 9:00am (local clock time).  IceTV website shows it as 9:00am tomorrow.

Yet my Timer for it has set itself - via IceTV - as 10:00am start. From my maths, this would still fire correctly if I did NOT adjust the PVR's clock for the end of Daylight Savings.  9am real clock = 10am for un-adjusted PVR (?).  The other timers from then on are  also 1 hour 'out' too.

Obviously it would cause confusion if I left it this way, but I thought it was interesting. Designed that way?

tonymy01

I already worked this out last year on the forums, for someone who was going on holidays around the time of the transition.
The reason is because ice tracks everything with gmt/utc, and that is how it sends the timers to the wiz. The wiz then adds the *current* gmt offset to the timer to put into the pvr timer list. So if you don't fix your clock, the timer will be at the right time, but if you fix your clock, the timer will be for one hour later than it should.
The wiz should really be dst aware using, say the tz library and both automatically adjust the dst parameter, and add the correct offset to the timers regardless of when they were sent vs when they are due to fire.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

dwids

Ok thanks for that. A consequence seems to be that on the My Week (Interactive), the Timers for Sunday are now flagged with the ! symbol for Error. Not worried, just an anomaly I'd assume. 

I agree that the PVR should be daylight-saving aware; all my PCs have been for years. But always seemed to get mucked up on my old Topfield, no matter how careful I was.

I'll follow the steps to do it properly tomorrow morning, which includes re-sending all the Recordings (Timers)

tonymy01

Yeah,i have the exclamations also for esp tomorrow. The reason is because the pvr is reporting the wrong times for the entries back to ice of course,
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).