Alternative Daylight Savings Changeover Procedure for TMS Toppies

Started by JPP, April 01, 2011, 08:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPP

IceTV subscribers will have received an email from ICETV giving instructions on how to cope with Daylight Saving Time change this Sunday.

The procedure they have given is unnecessarily complicated for the TMS range of Toppies involving having to completely reset all your settings on your Toppy.

There is a much simpler way to do the Daylight Savings changeover. (You will NOT loose your recordings)

The 7100+, 7160 and 24x0 Toppies have a facility to Save all your settings apart from the Timers/Reservations). See the end of this post for non-ICETV users.

Perform the following Steps:

First store all your settings:
       Menu>Installation>System Recovery>Store System Data

Now do a Factory Setting - it's on the same page as above step
       Menu>Installation>System Recovery>Factory Setting  

After a Reboot go to the same Page and choose Recover System data, i.e.
      Menu>Installation>System Recovery>Recover System Data

Lastly, confirm that the correct Time is shown and adjust if necessary. If you have chosen Auto and Daylight Saving Time as ON, it should be correct. If not, adjust the Time Offset to suit.
       Menu>Settings>Time

That's it, EPG cache cleared and everything back to where it was apart from Timers.

If you are using ICETV, just go to the ICETV Website and do a Resend of all the Timers.

If you don't use ICETV, then Save your Timers with the TMSTimer TAP before doing any of the above steps.

The ICETV suggested procedure can be found here:

http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&cat_level=3&faq_id=219&faq_cat3_id=134
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

prl

Quote from: JPP on April 01, 2011, 08:09:18 PM
The procedure they have given is unnecessarily complicated for the TMS range of Toppies involving having to completely reset all your settings on your Toppy.
The same with their instructions for Beyonwiz. :(
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: prl on April 01, 2011, 10:35:39 PM

Will need to revisit the Toppy ones for next year, but for the Beyonwiz did you check out the latest email?
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

prl

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 02, 2011, 12:41:01 AM
Quote from: prl on April 01, 2011, 10:35:39 PM

Will need to revisit the Toppy ones for next year, but for the Beyonwiz did you check out the latest email?
I haven't received it yet. Getting a bit late, isn't it ;) I was just going off the latest advice I'd seen from IceTV, the instructions from the start of DST in Oct 2010, which had a Factory reset as one of the first steps.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

I haven't received an email either,i figured it was because they knew that I knew how to deal with it:) ;D.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on April 02, 2011, 07:23:35 PM
I haven't received an email either,i figured it was because they knew that I knew how to deal with it:) ;D.
:)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

Still no sign of that email from IceTV about the DST change for Beyonwiz (apologies for the thread hijack, but Daniel started it :))
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on April 03, 2011, 12:34:50 PM
Still no sign of that email from IceTV about the DST change for Beyonwiz (apologies for the thread hijack, but Daniel started it :))

Nor one for the Topfield TF7100HDPVRt, although somehow after the change to time offset the Topfield's timers were correct. My recollection is that previously I have had to delete timers and resend, although I could be wrong. If something has changed it must be at Ice's end.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: prl on April 03, 2011, 12:34:50 PM

Dang, looks like the send failed halfway through, it has been restarted from where it dropped off.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

prl

My email from IceTV about DST on Beyonwiz and Topfield arrived at 16:59 today (3 Apr), a day too late to be useful. The advice for the Beyonwiz now corresponds to what was worked out on the Beyonwiz forum when this summer's DST started in Oct 2010.

Here's the reason why:
Quote...
Received: from 127.0.0.1  (EHLO iceweb04.icetv.com.au) (203.145.48.104)
 by mta1018.mail.sk1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sun, 03 Apr 2011 00:21:08 -0700
Received: from iceweb04.icetv.com.au (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
   by iceweb04.icetv.com.au (Postfix) with SMTP id D803711004D
   for <some.body@yahoo.com.au>; Sun,  3 Apr 2011 17:20:47 +1000 (EST)

Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 16:59:30 +1000
Message-Id: <20110403072047.D803711004D@iceweb04.icetv.com.au>

I.e. the message was first handled by IceTV's email servers this afternoon. There's also something weird going on with the times, because it appears to have arrived on my mail server about 20 minutes before it was sent.

Edit: posts crossed, Daniel. That makes sense if the bulk send failed and had to be restarted.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

JPP

Things turned out even better that I had anticipated.

My Time settings are AUTO, Daylight Saving Time ON and Time Format set to 12 Hours (not that 12 vs 24 hour setting should have any bearing on the issue).

The Time Offset had automatically changed from 11 hours to 10 hours.

For me, the only mishap was that all my ICETV timers were out, one hour late for programs beyond the changeover time, i.e. for tonight.

The time was correct this morning AND all my locally set Timers were also correct.

Both my Toppies, one on ICETV EPG and the other on FAT EPG are showing the correct program times. Both were showing one hour ahead for today's programs last night before the changeover.

So, if you don't use ICETV to set timers with, you don't need to do anything to cope with DLS changeover on the TMS Toppies.

If you do use ICETV Timers, which you would if you're reading this Forum  :), all you need do is delete all your ICETV timers and just Resend them - your locally set Timers are OK and don't need adjustment.

Nothing more - no Factory Setting Reset to clear the EPG cache (and therefore no need to Save and Restore settings) and no need to manually adjust the time.

Now, wouldn't it be good if we could eliminate this last bastian of DLS changeover hassle. If you're away from home during the DLS changeover, there is currently no way for you to delete all the timers remotely apart from doing each one manually using the Web interface (and then of course setting them all up again) - and that's only possible if you are in a position to do so anyway.

From reading the DLS procedures sent out by ICETV for Strong PVRs, apparently they don't need to have the Timers resent. Perhaps Dan would like to explain and/or comment on how this is achieved on the Strongs.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor