Scroll forward/backwards next/previous day

Started by mmnpkf, February 06, 2011, 04:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmnpkf

I love the little up and down arrows either side of the day name at the bottom of the screen but would love it even more if they would allow you to scroll to the previous/next day rather than becoming inactive once you reach the beginning/end of the day displayed.  Actually same functionality with finger scrolling would be good too.

Thanks,

Patrick

Daniel Drysdale at IceTV

I debated this exact topic with our dev team recently.

The reasons I am against it are

* The post midnight hours are by far the least important to most users so moving from one day to the next via the arrow keys is inefficient compared to the current day selector

* The "day change" overhead on older phones, namely the iPhone 3G is in the range of 10-12 seconds which makes an extra arrow press that results in a day change a very frustrating experience.
Cheers,

Dan
Software Manager @ IceTV

mmnpkf

Hi Dan,

Sounds reasonable except with the phone now caching the EPG why would there be any 'overhead' in changing days?

Regards,

Patrick

Daniel Drysdale at IceTV

In order to build the EPG list for any given day we need to query the app's internal database and build the data structure required to drive the table.

For a full day you are looking at  something like 570 items, the query is very complicated as it needs to link the EPG to series/keywords/favourites etc in order to build a complete picture of the status of each program.

On the iPhone 4 this take ~ 1-1.5 seconds but on the iPhone 3G it takes 10-12 seconds. :(
Cheers,

Dan
Software Manager @ IceTV

Lisey

Simple solution would be to drop support for the Iphone 3 ;)
Geez everyones gonna hate me now