Why won't the Topfield 2460 allow FFW/RWD of edited files?

Started by boomerangirl, February 08, 2011, 08:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomerangirl

Hi All,

Another question from a newbie with a brand new PVR...

I've just tried using the 'editing' functionality to delete an ad-break from a movie I'd like to keep.  Then I tried to FFW and RWD... at which point I got a message saying something like 'edited files cannot be FFW'.  The edit controls are pretty clunky (though I think the remote itself is a thing of beauty) so I'm wondering if I've missed something...?

Has the ad break really been 'deleted' or has it simply been flagged for skipping?

I can see how deleting a chunk of data from the middle of a file would screw up the decompression, so presumably you'd end up staring at blocky images for a second or three.

Anyone out there delved into this...?

prl

Older Topfield (7000 and 7100) record to a single file and have a skip table to say what bits had been edited out. I've been told on another forum that the newer models (all the rest of them) do actually delete data from a recording when edits are made, but I don't know how that's implemented, or why FF/REW can't be used. Can skip be used?

On Beyonwizes, a recording is a bunch of 32MB data files, and an index that says which files are in the recording, and what parts of them make up the recording. When an edit is made, any file that is no longer in the recording at all is deleted. If any part of a file is in the recording, then the whole of the file is kept. This means that for each edit, there's up to 64MB of waste. Edits are always made at points selected so that decompression of the video stream can be resumed without any interruption. This also means that editing can't be made frame accurate. FF and REW work normally on edited files.

You'd probably be better off asking this question on the Topfield forum.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

vincent

You can fix this by installing a TAP which will regenerate the missing 2 files to allow FF FR.  Look in the topfield forum for more information