New iPhone app Version 2.0(9)

Started by snuke, December 17, 2010, 04:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snuke

I just tweeted this to ICE with screen shots.
2 issues I see.
"TV Guide" only shows today, can't change it. It also starts by showing yesterday.
The Up, Today and Down arrows are all greyed and non selectable.

“Store” once you enter the Store section, there is no way to click back to the home page.
There is a refresh icon (also it is an “X”) and “Open in Safari” icon
The forward and back arrows are greyed and not active.

You have to kill the app and re open it to het back to the Home sceen,

snuke

Only one issue now, after relaunching a few times (because of Store issue) TV Guide is working as it should.
Store issue is still there.

frankf

Quote from: snuke on December 17, 2010, 04:20:28 PM
Store issue is still there.

I noticed this same problem as well and apparently it's already fixed in the next version!

See this Tweet https://twitter.com/#!/icetvisgo/status/15682255095599104

Kid_A

I'd like to say thanks to IceTV for the new version.

I have a couple of queries:
1. Would it be possible to open the application at the last used page, like the previous version?
2. The TV Guide page seems to open to a band of time, beginning at either 12am, 6am, 12pm or 6pm depending on the time of day. Would it be possible to have it open at the actual time instead?
Elgato eyetv DTT deluxe
Sony PlayTV

markb

Quote from: Kid_A on December 17, 2010, 09:53:22 PM
1. Would it be possible to open the application at the last used page, like the previous version?

Yes, please fix this. The app should always reopen exactly to the position (e.g. exact time and day in the guide) where it was last open.

Particularly need this because ICE have not yet thought to add rottentomatoes and/or metacritic links on movies so we always have to run away to the browser. It is a real pain to lose our place.

achjimmy

yeah I agree with the above, but the bigest issue I am having with both the iphone and ipad last night was everytime a restarted the app it sets my account expiry date to Jan 1st 1970 !  it worked once this morning then crashed and back to "account expiry date Thu Jan 1, 1970 10:00am"

i did email support last night i am sure they will look at it, just a little concern that may take a while i think it is device specific. the iphone is sometime okay when the ipad aint!

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: achjimmy on December 18, 2010, 08:31:41 AM
it sets my account expiry date to Jan 1st 1970 !

You can check your real account expiry date on the web site under My Account. The incorrect date you're seeing in the app is just a display problem that should be fixed in the next version.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  We're working on several fixes and changes, and hope to have a new version out soon, but it takes some time for Apple to approve each version we submit to the app store.

Thanks,
Russell

Daniel Drysdale at IceTV

I have posted some information on the issues

http://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=2825.0

My apologies for any inconvenience.
Cheers,

Dan
Software Manager @ IceTV

markb

Actually, my post above was a few hours before I saw a new ICETV app get updated to my phone. In fact, the new app looks like a rewrite and now does remember the date + time position in the guide, e.g. when you run away to the browser! So thanks ICETV.

Could ICE consider adding rottentomatoes + metacritic links to the movies? (+imdb I guess although I personally don't trust the ratings there). ICE could just add a generic site search url for the movie title so that this would not impose more work on the guide compilation process. Of course the url may sometimes fail to find the program but we users would still be happy with that. So, e.g., just add a link http://www.rottentomatoes.com/search/full_search.php?search=attack%20of%20the%20killer%20tomatoes to the movie description page in the app.

Also, as an iOS4 user on an iphone4 (and wifes 3GS), I don't like apps using in-app browser frames. I prefer that the app open urls in safari because then I can surf links where I want and just use ios multi-task switch to get back easily to the ICE app. So perhaps a user option for this behaviour (in-app browser, or not) would be nice?

Of course I quickly found that shocker bug in the new version that once you select the "Store" button the new app takes you to an in-app browser window but gives you no mechanism to return! Booted up the PC to post about it here but I see Daniel Drysdale has already announced it.

bmitchell

Is anyone getting this problem?
Is it one if the known problems with the latest version?

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: bmitchell on December 20, 2010, 09:45:31 AM
Is anyone getting this problem?

Hi,

We looked into this issue and found the problem. It's a somewhat rare case because one of your recording devices was apparently deleted some time in the past, and because of a bug in the current version of the iPhone app in how it deals with the device numbering. To get around the bug, I've created a device on your account called "Placeholder", and you should be able to schedule the series recording on your Topfield ok now.  The Placeholder device just fixes the bug, you don't need to use it for any scheduling.

Unfortunately we didn't catch this bug before the next version of the iPhone app was submitted to the Apple App Store, so it won't be fixed in version 2.1(12), but it should be fixed in the next one after that, which should be 2.1(13) or later.  When you get that version, you can go to the My Account page of the web site and delete the Placeholder device if you want.

For anyone else having this problem, you can let us know and we can try to do the same, or you can just schedule your series recordings through the web site until the problem is fixed in the app.

Thanks for letting us know,
Russell

bmitchell

Thanks Russell

I appreciate the follow up and the continuing high level of support from IceTV

markb

Russell, note a warning that at least one person on the Topfield forums reported he sees "low memory" warnings when he uses the new 2.0(9) app. So I suggest you also have memory leaks/errors in this new app as well. Hopefully you have caught those in these newer versions?

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: markb on December 20, 2010, 11:37:03 PM
Russell, note a warning that at least one person on the Topfield forums reported he sees "low memory" warnings when he uses the new 2.0(9) app. So I suggest you also have memory leaks/errors in this new app as well. Hopefully you have caught those in these newer versions?

Yes, the current version in the store, 2.0(9), displays an extra alert message about low memory more often than it probably should, even without memory leaks. The next version, 2.0(12) shouldn't have that problem (and is due out within the next day or so, BTW).

Thanks,
Russell

grampus

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on December 21, 2010, 10:09:35 AM
Quote from: markb on December 20, 2010, 11:37:03 PM

Yes, the current version in the store, 2.0(9), displays an extra alert message about low memory more often than it probably should, even without memory leaks. The next version, 2.0(12) shouldn't have that problem (and is due out within the next day or so, BTW).

Thanks,
Russell
While it appears that this thread is being monitored.
Does this now support the IPAD?

I know that it wasn't some time ago, but  I downloaded this again, after I saw in the store that it did.  But everything that I see from Ice themselves has no mention of IPAD.
Obviously, I don't wish to start reporting problems from the IPAD if they are not supported.

BeyonWiz, T3