Eye TV hybrid mis-identifying USB port

Started by proftournesol, February 08, 2009, 04:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proftournesol

I have a hybrid stick running on a 24" iMac. Lately either I can't see the stick at all or I get an error message that it must be plugged into a USB 2.0 port, not 1.3 port, however it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. It also happens when I change USB ports and change computers. Is this problem fixable?
thanks
Michael

futzle

Quote from: proftournesol on February 08, 2009, 04:07:00 PM
I have a hybrid stick running on a 24" iMac. Lately either I can't see the stick at all or I get an error message that it must be plugged into a USB 2.0 port, not 1.3 port, however it is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. It also happens when I change USB ports and change computers. Is this problem fixable?
thanks
Michael

Hi Michael,

Stick it in the oven.  No, really.

http://forums.elgato.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=527

tc

icetv are obviously not responsible for the hardware - I think you'll find this is a common problem with the internal power supply in the eyetv unit - because it can't get power, it assumes you've plugged it in wrong, but it is actually a failure with in the unit itself.  EyeTV don't seem to think that this is a problem if your warranty has run out.  I would tend to agree if the problem was fixable - but it isn't.  Might well be a fit for purpose issue, but at the value we're talking about it isn't worth chasing.  you're better off just sticking it in the oven.