Using wired and wireless ports with Asus bridge

Started by NeilA, June 24, 2006, 10:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeilA

I have the Asus wireless bridge hooked up to my Toppy MP and working as expected.

But can someone tell me if (and how) I can use one of the wired ethernet ports at the same time as the wirless port?
I would like to be able to transfers some larger .rec files to my PC for processing, and the wireless works fine but is s-l-o-w...

Thanks

NeilA

peteru

You must not connect the wired LAN ports and the wireless network to the same Ethernet segment. If you do, you will create a loop and cause a network congestion that will kill the performance.

If you want to use the device in a wired configuration, disable the wireless radio in the Wireless Settings section.

If you absolutely must have wired and wireless at the same time, you should configure a separate wired network with a DHCP server and plug the IceBox2 WAN port into this new wired network. The WAN port will then acquire it's address from the DHCP server and the IceBox2 will then be visible on both networks. Please make sure that the wired and wireless networks end up being on different subnets, otherwise you have a 50% chance of having a routing problem. This is not a standard/supported configuration and requires some level of networking expertise.

NeilA

Many thanks for that Peter.
That makes sense -  I already tried to connect both wireless and wired and bought down my router!  ;-)

As it's only for occasional file transfer use, I'll work with the idea of turning off the wireless before hooking up the wired.

Cheers