system log query

Started by kongwak, July 01, 2006, 09:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kongwak

Hi,

I am using my icebox2 with a static IP address (over wireless, WPA) and when I look at the logs, I get this message every 2-4 seconds:

Jul  1 09:54:16 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:54:18 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:54:20 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:55:24 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:55:26 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:55:28 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:56:31 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:56:33 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:56:35 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:57:39 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:57:41 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...
Jul  1 09:57:43 (none) kern.debug udhcpc[832]: Sending discover...

Can someone tell me what it means.

regards
Richard

kidhazy

Richard,

I have similar entries when I use wireless on my ICEBOX2.   I asked support about them once and they replied :
"These are status messages from the WAN port and can be safely ignored."

It is a bit strange though, because we are both using static addresses, yet it looks like the DHCP service (which tries to get a dynamic address) is still running.

In the end I ended up disabling the DHCP service on the ICEBOX2 via a telnet session.
Thanks,
kidhazy.

kongwak

Thanks Kidhazy,

I didn't know you could log into the icebox2 via telnet, perhaps I will check it out.

regards
Richard

peteru

The WAN port always runs a DHCP client so that it is possible to recover a box, even if a user does something to screw up the box. This is somewhat mittigated by the fact that the reset button can be used to restore to factory defaults, however I chose to reserve the WAN port as a recovery vehicle.

If nothing else, those message are a good heartbeat indicator. You get two messages every minute or so. The fact that they keep on appearing means that everything is working normally.  :P

kongwak

Ah, the good oil from the horses mouth (to mix a metaphor).

I am comforted.

Richard

Foozle

In my case these messages flood my wireless link as they are every 2 seconds (not roughly 2 a minute) and I cannot connect to the ASUS or the Toppy. Eventually the messages cease and I have no connection at all. This is far more than a minor "heartbeat" that can be ignored.