How accurate should the Ice EPG be??

Started by cbm8880, September 20, 2010, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

Quote from: raven-au on October 17, 2010, 10:04:29 PM
Quote from: Mitch IceGuide on September 20, 2010, 12:20:59 PM
Yes that's true. We suggest perhaps expanding your padding time and write to TV Channels. Although I believe this is done intentionally.

So you claim that TV stations publish incorrect times to IceTV then update the start times over the air, sometimes days before then airing, and you have no way to cope with that?

Last time I looked closely at the FTA EPG for WIN (Canberra), the start times for shows were updated on the morning of the shows i.e. less than 24 hours before broadcasting. Not days before airing.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

markb

Quote from: prl on October 17, 2010, 10:53:53 PM
IceTV doesn't get the main part of their programming information from the TV stations.

Just a question about this. I can understand this being the case for the commercial channels but is it also true for the ABC and SBS? Surely the ABC is happy to provide their (our!) program schedules freely for ICE to re-publish?

prl

Quote from: markb on October 18, 2010, 11:40:25 PM
Quote from: prl on October 17, 2010, 10:53:53 PM
IceTV doesn't get the main part of their programming information from the TV stations.

Just a question about this. I can understand this being the case for the commercial channels but is it also true for the ABC and SBS? Surely the ABC is happy to provide their (our!) program schedules freely for ICE to re-publish?
Yes, sorry. That should have read "IceTV doesn't get the main part of their programming information for the commercial networks from the TV stations. My understanding is that the national broadcasters (ABC and SBS) and community broadcasters provide their EPG data to IceTV.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

OzRob

Quote from: raven-au on October 17, 2010, 10:04:29 PMSo you claim that TV stations publish incorrect times to IceTV then update the start times over the air, sometimes days before then airing, and you have no way to cope with that?

The TV stations don't publish anything to IceTV. IceTV uses a variety of predictive methods to infer what's on when. By law IceTV is not allowed to directly use any information that is copyrighted to the TV stations. Do a google search for "IceTV Channel Nine legal case" for the background on why.

prl

Quote from: OzRob on October 19, 2010, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: raven-au on October 17, 2010, 10:04:29 PMSo you claim that TV stations publish incorrect times to IceTV then update the start times over the air, sometimes days before then airing, and you have no way to cope with that?

The TV stations don't publish anything to IceTV. IceTV uses a variety of predictive methods to infer what's on when. By law IceTV is not allowed to directly use any information that is copyrighted to the TV stations. Do a google search for "IceTV Channel Nine legal case" for the background on why.
As noted by markb, the national broadcasters and some community broadcasters do make their guide data available to IceTV. This is largely an issue with the commercial networks.

The TV networks assert copyright over their program guides, and has been seen from the Nine action against IceTV, they are willing to defend their copyright strenuously. The Nine v IceTV case ended up in the High Court, though IIRC it was taken there on appeal by IceTV, where IceTV won. The case was over IceTV's use of published TV guide information to make minor corrections to their EPG, not about wholesale unlicenced copying of anyone's guide.

IceTV also asserts copyright over their program guide.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: prl on September 20, 2010, 03:56:53 PM

The commercial channels now typically don't have ads between shows. They go straight from the end titles of one into the start of the next. This makes swapping to a show on another channel more difficult.

These games are definitely part of strategies to retain viewers on a channel. Have a look at the Wiki entry on Broadcast programming. You'll find the two techniques I mentioned under Bridging and Hot switching. I'm sure you'll recognise other programming techniques in the Wiki entry, too.

Now I noticed something new (to me) and irritating on Neine.  I was watching Sherlock, live to air, and sometime towards the end, they started to advertise the next episode.  The first time it happened, I presumed it was the end of the program and the ad was inviting us to watch the rest tomorrow.  I was about to turn the TV off, but, luckily, I got a phone call and left it on long enough to realise that the show hadn't ended yet.  As that was the first ep of the show, I had no way of knowing that they conclude the story line in each ep.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,