Feature request: email for recording issues

Started by parki, August 16, 2010, 01:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parki

Hi,

I'd like to see the IceTv send me an email when a recording issue is detected (say when there's a recording conflict). That way, I can fix up the issues beforehand.

Actually, I'd like to see IceTV notify me about any issues that might effect my recordings. For instance, my Interactive client went into some kind of infinite loop a while ago and didn't do anything for days (until I noticed that one core of the CPU was maxed out). If IceTV had told me that there'd been no EPG updates or recording downloads for days I would have know there was a problem.

I know I can check on the website to see the last time the EPG was downloaded, but I'd rather the computers did that kind of thing for me  :) Hey, so I'm lazy  :D

Steve.

tonymy01

They do have an RSS feed that shows [rec] in front of your recordings, and nothing but the title for your faves, so this is what I use to track my recordings from time to time.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

grahford

Good luck with that.  A few times my settop box stopped downloading the schedules.  Once I didn't notice for a week due to a backlog of recorded programs.

When I did notice shows had stopped recording, I went to my account page where it clearly stated that the last EPG fetch occurred over a week in the past.  I thought that seeing that icetv knows when the settop box last updated, and my email is part of my account, why not drop me an automated alert if it doesn't update for a certain period.

I sent it off as a feature request and was told that too many people would find the emails annoying.

I've always found icetv support to be a little odd.  Most of the time they are fantastic.  Other times its almost like they want to argue with you :)

/edit. Should also mention that I also asked about emai alerts for clashing programs and was told that it wasn't feasible at that time.  This was about a year ago. Clashing programs are awful because my set top box just drops them or interrupts them half way through the program.  Either way I get no error or warning.  The rss feed doesn't seem to help. The only solution for me is to manually check every few days. Which is annoying for a paid service which is supposed to automate everything. :(

parki

Quote from: grahford on August 18, 2010, 01:11:36 PM

I've always found icetv support to be a little odd. 

I reckon... let me decide what's more annoying, a few emails or missing recordings!

Colin