webget failing ???

Started by Shane, February 22, 2005, 12:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Just tried to pull data using my quickguide batch file, and webget is failing to pull the XML file down. Website is working fine using links from http://server.icetv.info/support/xmlguide_help2_t.html

Anyone else?

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

Russell at IceTV

Hi Shane, thanks for reporting the problem.  It looks like in the process of improving something else, I forgot that the way webget was being used needs to be changed as well.  But it's a simple change...

The problem is that since webget is a command-line program, the ampersands (&) have to be escaped to avoid confusing the command window.  The batch files for getting XML data for MCE used the following command, which used the encoded value "%%26" in place of the ampersand:

webget.exe http://server.icetv.info/cgi-bin2/xmlguide2.cgi?op=xmlguide%%26channels=1,2,3,4,5 -u <username> -p <password> -o icetv.xml

It turns out this isn't really the proper way to do this, so I've updated the batch files to use a normal ampersand, and escape it by enclosing the URL argument in double-quotes:

webget.exe "http://server.icetv.info/cgi-bin2/xmlguide2.cgi?op=xmlguide&channels=1,2,3,4,5" -u <username> -p <password> -o icetv.xml

Note that only the URL argument is enclosed in quotes -- not the entire command.

So you can either modify your QuickGuideMelbourne.bat and QuickGuideSydney.bat files as above, or download the updated MCE zip file from the support page again.

Sorry for the confusion.  Let us know if you have any problems with it...

Russell

Shane

Thanks Russell, your changes have resolved the issue and all is working well.

Regards,
Shane.
Shuttle SB83G5M (P4 630 nVidia 6600) running Vista Premium with:
Hauppauge Nova-T 500 MCE Tuner|Ice TV Guide|PIMP|Buffalo LinkStation HD-H160LAN & HD-HG300LAN|Xbox 360 MCE

harbinger

i was having this problem too but russels post has fixed one of the issues i am experiencing.

The problem i am having is the resulting xml file that webget outputs doesnt seem to have translated the linebreak code so the file is one long single line. It has printed the linbreak characters where the line breaks should be.

Hence when i import the xml into MCE it doesnt show up.

Have i missed a step that corrects this? (I would like to post and example but when i do, this text box translates the line breaks so it looks like the way its meant to! so i have attatched a sample. the original is rather large to post.)

Here is the command i use to grab the xml
webget "http://iceguide.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/epg/iceguide.cgi?op=xmlguide&channels=9,10,6,7,8" -u ******** -p *******  -o xmltv.xml

Cheers

Russell at IceTV

Hi harbinger,

I think the file format is ok actually...  What you're seeing is Unix format instead of Windows format, so each line ends with just a line-feed instead of a carriage-return-line-feed like Windows uses.  If you open it in Wordpad instead of Notepad, you'll see it displayed correctly.  I haven't heard of any problems loading it into MCE, so I'm wondering if there's some other problem somewhere.  Let us know a little more about what you've tried and what you're seeing, and I'm sure we can figure it out.

Thanks,
Russell

harbinger

i opened the xml file in wordpad and it displayed as you said, so i saved it in wordpad and it then displayed in notepad correctly.

However i still couldnt display any data in MCE.
It appears to import correctly but no listings are mapped to any channels automatically, so i tried to add them manually but there was no channel data to map.

Any ideas?

When i use dumper.exe to dump the channel data from MCE i am getting duplicates of channel numbers across different TV stations for some reason. eg
<channel>
   <name>SBS News</name>
   <channelID>SBS News</channelID>
   <virtualchannel>7</virtualchannel>
 </channel>

and
<channel>
   <name>7 Digital</name>
   <channelID>7 Digital</channelID>
   <virtualchannel>7</virtualchannel>
 </channel>

I dont know if this has anything to do with it. I had a scan through the registry to see if i could find the channel data to remove the duplicates but i couldnt remember where they were kept and using search didnt help. But im not sure i was looking for the right thing anyway.

Im a bit lost as what to do now. Tips?
Cheers

BJReplay

You need to update ChannelInfo to use the channel ids specified in the xmltv file - e.g. Channel 2 (ABC) Melbourne is Channel ID 9 in the iceguide.

Therefore you would have

<channel>
   <name>ABCNews</name>
   <channelID>9</channelID>
   <virtualchannel>2</virtualchannel>
</channel>

for example.

HTH

BJ