ABC 24 not being received and ICE EPG is gone ?

Started by jzr, July 19, 2010, 10:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jzr

A few days ago I did a channel re-scan on my Topfield as another TV in the house seemed to have rescanned and correctly tuned ABC 24 on channel 24 rather than channel 20. So I decided to bring everything into line and do the same on the Topfield.

I am using a wired connection with a static IP and everything is working fine BUT for some reason, the Topfield will not pick up channel 24 and instead is still showing ABC HD channel 20 with all the promos they are still running on that channel in preparation for 24. Further to this, my ICE guide will now not display ??? All channel mappings are fine as recordings I am scheduling online are still being sent to the device and recording correctly but the guide will not show?

ICE TV can be pinged successfully and even tells me that the EPG information has been retrieved but it is not there. Has been two days now. Have tried another re-scan, switching from FTA to ICE EPGs and back again and still nothing. PVR has been powered down overnight and still nothing.

Has anybody else had this problem? Really frustrating. Plenty of HDD space to store EPG data as well (once I got down really low and it wouldn't display EPG anymore but it is fine right now).

Help, anyone ?

tonymy01

The topfields often need to have the offending channel removed manually (list/ok in live channel view, follow the help prompts) and then rescan the abc frequency (vhf12 in many areas as an example).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

raymondjpg

Quote from: jzr on July 19, 2010, 10:42:34 PM
A few days ago I did a channel re-scan on my Topfield as another TV in the house seemed to have rescanned and correctly tuned ABC 24 on channel 24 rather than channel 20. So I decided to bring everything into line and do the same on the Topfield.

I am using a wired connection with a static IP and everything is working fine BUT for some reason, the Topfield will not pick up channel 24 and instead is still showing ABC HD channel 20 with all the promos they are still running on that channel in preparation for 24. Further to this, my ICE guide will now not display ??? All channel mappings are fine as recordings I am scheduling online are still being sent to the device and recording correctly but the guide will not show?

ICE TV can be pinged successfully and even tells me that the EPG information has been retrieved but it is not there. Has been two days now. Have tried another re-scan, switching from FTA to ICE EPGs and back again and still nothing. PVR has been powered down overnight and still nothing.

Has anybody else had this problem? Really frustrating. Plenty of HDD space to store EPG data as well (once I got down really low and it wouldn't display EPG anymore but it is fine right now).

Help, anyone ?

Similar problem here, but nothing to do with a rescan.

Yesterday, for some reason, the Topfield went haywire. No Ice EPG data, so I did a factory reset and rescan.

Rescan went OK, and I have channel 24 OK, and ABC HD has gone. So far, so good.

But still no EPG data. At first, no channel mapping data (LCN mappings) but that has resolved itself this morning.

But still no EPG data. Yesterday Topfield was protesting that "ICETV server is busy, wait 2 minutes". Standard fix is turn Topfield off, wait a while and turn back on again. But still no EPG data.

Switching to FTA EPG and back again to Ice, still no joy.

Today, Topfield is no longer protesting "ICETV server is busy...", but Ice EPG still blank.

Topfield is fetching as it should (showing in My Account on web page), but not showing any data in EPG.

Scheduled recordings all showing doughnuts, no full circles in My Upcoming Shows.

Tried resending all scheduled recordings, didn't work, and some say that doing this more than once (I did it twice) can confuse the Topfield, but still no scheduled recordings transferred to the Topfield.

Currently waiting to see if next fetch or two will resolve anything.

In the meantime, Topfield has become further confused, dropping a scheduled recording (set manually yesterday) which no longer shows in the recorded shows lineup. Also, takes quite a bit of time checking the hard disk on bootup.

I have come to the conclusion that the problems are at my end. The firmware and setup has worked more or less flawlessly for about 18 months since installation of the Software Update Official 20090317 March 2009. I think it may be time for a re-installation, as this version seems to do a fair job of flushing out rubbish with a hard disk re-format.

There is another firmware update, 1.00.51 Dec 2009, which may resolve issues if re-installing Update 20090317 does not do the job. I'll report back on progress if the next couple of fetches don't work.

Wired connection with a static IP BTW, the most reliable configuration.

(Also, if you are anywhere where a 3D demo channel is broadcasting on channel 40, that is reported to give problems with auto-scan. Check the Topfield forums.)

Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

mooseau

i have the same problem
last friday deleted abchd(20) then rescanned channels found abc news 24.
now have no EPG or Timer updates since.

Moose
TF5000PVRtMP Dec 07 pached Firmware tf 7100hdpvrt march 09 firmware
PC; windows 7 64bit core 2 Quad (q8200)4g memory

raymondjpg

I figured that as the Topfield was no longer protesting "ICETV server is busy..." that EPG data had been transferred OK, but somehow the EPG cache had become corrupt and data wasn't showing up as it should. In fact, just completely blank.

As far as I can establish the EPG cache is located on the hard disk somewhere, unreachable through FTP but accessible via telnet if you can be bothered with that. So I did a hard disk reformat (after dragging off recorded programs that I wanted to the PC).

Turned the Topfield off, waited about 40 minutes after the next scheduled fetch from Ice and switched on again. Ethernet light at the back of the machine flickered encouragingly.

This time, on switching to the Program Guide, Topfield reported a new message "Processing EPG data wait for a minute".

Made a cup of tea, tried the Ice EPG again and it is now working. Also, all scheduled recordings have transferred successfully from the Ice server. Doughnuts now filled up until Saturday.

Channel 24 still OK in the program setup, channel 20 still gone. LCN mappings still there OK.

My conclusion to the fix is:

1.  Do a factory reset. This may not have been strictly necessary, but cleaned out the scheduled recordings, and may have resulted in a more successful channel scan (24 OK, 20 gone) than if the reset had not been performed.

2.  Do a hard disk reformat. Theoretically to delete the EPG cache if it had become corrupted.

Don't know if it will last, I still have some data corruption on the hard disk with the dropped recording set manually. Also, HDMI connection didn't always seem to work if TV monitor was switched to Topfield source after the Topfield had been switched on, but this may have resolved itself now that the Ice EPG and scheduled recordings problems have been fixed. If not, I may try a reinstallation of Software Update Official 20090317 March 2009, but only as a last resort!

Edit: Data corruption on hard disk should have been resolved with the hard disk reformat. Fingers crossed that all is now well.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD