New shows

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, June 22, 2010, 03:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: Tezza007 on January 02, 2017, 10:33:05 AM
Vikings returns on SBS HD on Saturday night
First 10 episodes of Season 4
Strange programming
What's so strange about it? They're doing an all-night binge of repeats of the first half of Season 4 as a prelude to running new episodes of the second part of Season 4, starting on Wed 7 Jan with a double episode: "The Outsider" (S4E11) and "The Vision" (S4E12).

A chance to find out, if you don't know already, why Ragnar is so cranky with the folk of Kattegat in the promo for the new episodes ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Tezza007

Except IceTV is showing them as new episodes, not repeats

Tezza007

I just rechecked. It's set to all episodes [insert embarrassed emoji here, MS Edge won't]

MD

Thanks for wasting a few minutes of my time tezza:(

Tezza007

prl

SBS has started advertising The Night Manager as starting on Wed Mar 22. It's a series based on John Le Carre's novel of the same name.

Starts SBS ONE & SBS HD 20:30 Wed Mar 22.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

simoncasey

Quote from: prl on March 01, 2017, 05:18:38 PM
SBS has started advertising The Night Manager as starting on Wed Mar 22. It's a series based on John Le Carre's novel of the same name.

Starts SBS ONE & SBS HD 20:30 Wed Mar 22.
Awesome. Supposedly one of the best shows in recent years.

raymondjpg

Maybe somewhat OT for IceTV but a third series of Dicte is now available on SBS On Demand. I haven't spotted it having been broadcast yet, or foreshadowed to broadcast.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 22, 2017, 09:56:50 AM
Maybe somewhat OT for IceTV but a third series of Dicte is now available on SBS On Demand. I haven't spotted it having been broadcast yet, or foreshadowed to broadcast.

Dicte, or "Dicte - Crime Reporter" or even just "Crime Reporter" was not found in our database. Interesting that Dicte is now available on SBS On Demand but it appears to have never been on TV in Australia, yet. Maybe SBS want to see how popular it is on SBS On Demand before considering whether to air it on TV.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

raymondjpg

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on March 22, 2017, 12:18:20 PMDicte, or "Dicte - Crime Reporter" or even just "Crime Reporter" was not found in our database. Interesting that Dicte is now available on SBS On Demand but it appears to have never been on TV in Australia, yet. Maybe SBS want to see how popular it is on SBS On Demand before considering whether to air it on TV.

On checking my archives I see that the first two series of Dicte that I watched were not from Australian TV. So it appears, as you say, to have never been seen on TV in Australia.

On the plus side SBS On Demand is currently offering all three series, not just the most recent. I found them very enjoyable and would recommend them to anyone with a penchant for Scandinavian drama. They are not really Noir though! More along the lines of the Anna Pihl series.

I don't know why SBS is offering them On Demand prior to screening, if indeed they have plans to do that. IIRC Midnight Sun was pre-released on the internet with a foreshadowing of broadcast viewing. The practice seemed to originate with the pre-release of New Blood by the BBC on iPlayer, ostensibly because that was the way the younger folk were supposed to prefer to find their TV. I don't see why that should predicate pre-release in that way, and as far as I know the BBC is not making a practice of it, thank goodness.

Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

vader1111

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 22, 2017, 01:32:27 PM
Quote from: Dave at IceTV on March 22, 2017, 12:18:20 PMDicte, or "Dicte - Crime Reporter" or even just "Crime Reporter" was not found in our database. Interesting that Dicte is now available on SBS On Demand but it appears to have never been on TV in Australia, yet. Maybe SBS want to see how popular it is on SBS On Demand before considering whether to air it on TV.

On checking my archives I see that the first two series of Dicte that I watched were not from Australian TV. So it appears, as you say, to have never been seen on TV in Australia.

On the plus side SBS On Demand is currently offering all three series, not just the most recent. I found them very enjoyable and would recommend them to anyone with a penchant for Scandinavian drama. They are not really Noir though! More along the lines of the Anna Pihl series.

I don't know why SBS is offering them On Demand prior to screening, if indeed they have plans to do that. IIRC Midnight Sun was pre-released on the internet with a foreshadowing of broadcast viewing. The practice seemed to originate with the pre-release of New Blood by the BBC on iPlayer, ostensibly because that was the way the younger folk were supposed to prefer to find their TV. I don't see why that should predicate pre-release in that way, and as far as I know the BBC is not making a practice of it, thank goodness.
SBS have quite a few things on their SBS on Demand site, which they have no intention of ever airing on FTA TV.  Dicte may well be one of these shows.

The ABC openly says that they don't care how you're watching their shows - live, recorded and watched later, or on iView.  Just as long as you're watching them.  I suspect SBS have a similar attitude.

raymondjpg

Quote from: vader1111 on March 22, 2017, 01:48:34 PMThe ABC openly says that they don't care how you're watching their shows - live, recorded and watched later, or on iView.  Just as long as you're watching them.  I suspect SBS have a similar attitude.

That may be what they are saying publicly, but privately I suspect they would prefer for us to be watching live with attendant relentless self-promotion (in the case of the ABC) and advertisements (in the case of SBS). My point was more why release first on the net, then, if they intend to broadcast, do that later. I'm sure net denizens have plenty of phone-fiddling alternatives to entertain themselves with while waiting until after a broadcast event to watch it on line.

vader1111

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 22, 2017, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: vader1111 on March 22, 2017, 01:48:34 PMThe ABC openly says that they don't care how you're watching their shows - live, recorded and watched later, or on iView.  Just as long as you're watching them.  I suspect SBS have a similar attitude.

That may be what they are saying publicly, but privately I suspect they would prefer for us to be watching live with attendant relentless self-promotion (in the case of the ABC) and advertisements (in the case of SBS). My point was more why release first on the net, then, if they intend to broadcast, do that later. I'm sure net denizens have plenty of phone-fiddling alternatives to entertain themselves with while waiting until after a broadcast event to watch it on line.
I really don't think the ABC cares at all.  SBS have ads in their SBS on Demand shows anyway, so they get the revenue they need whether you're watching on TV or streaming.

MD

There may also be a labyrinth of different contractual obligations attached to different shows, some allowing FTA broadcast, some just IP streaming.

raymondjpg

A couple of sources have a third series of Janet King starting Thursday May 25 on ABC. One of these is here.