Main Menu

New shows

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, June 22, 2010, 03:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

The Last Panthers starting Thursday 31 March - being advertised on SBS HD but no clear indication if it will be broadcast on SBS1, SBS2 and/or SBS HD.

Mixed reviews, but probably worth a look pending a new series of Engrenages. With John Hurt, and theme song written and recorded by the late David Bowie.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Tezza007

6.9 on IMDB so worth recording for me, but complaints about too many subtitles may put me off watching

raymondjpg

Quote from: Tezza007 on March 23, 2016, 10:25:01 AM
6.9 on IMDB so worth recording for me, but complaints about too many subtitles may put me off watching

From what I have seen the series is mostly spoken French with some Serbian and a fair amount of English. So not as many subtitles needed as for other French offerings.

These sort of hybrids seem to be quite common at the moment. The 100 Code is mostly in Swedish with a fair amount of English because of the involvement of a US detective. The "continentals" are a lot more tolerant of English than the English are of continental languages. The US is even worse, and they prefer to make their own US versions of TV series rather than try and understand even the UK idiom.

I'm probably in a minority but I have now taken to showing subtitles on most of what I watch, even in English, because I quite often have difficulty understanding what is being said. Not all actors can be Ralph Richardsons. So I hope that SBS will provide teletext for the English spoken parts of The Last Panthers as well as hard coded subtitles for the French and Serbian.

Regardless of what you may think of the worthiness of the IMDB rating for The Last Panthers, you could probably add another 0.5 to whole point for the amount that it has been downgraded because of subtitling.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 23, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
Quote from: Tezza007 on March 23, 2016, 10:25:01 AM

From what I have seen the series is mostly spoken French with some Serbian and a fair amount of English. So not as many subtitles needed as for other French offerings.

I think what tezza007 means by "too many subtitles" is "pretty much any at all". ;)

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 23, 2016, 10:36:09 PM... The "continentals" are a lot more tolerant of English than the English are of continental languages.

When I lived in Switzerland in the 80s, English language movies shown in the cinema were generally shown in their original audio track and double-subtitled in both French and German. I understand that at least for mass-release movies, the practice in Germany was generally to dub foreign-language movies. I'm not sure what the practice was in Ticino, the Swiss canton where Italian is spoken. Because it's a small market, they may have just used whatever form it was distributed in in Italy.

But then the Swiss are pretty used to dealing with multiple languages. Their federal Parliament is conducted in all three official languages (so not also in Raeto-Romansch), and there's no simultaneous translation. Parliamentarians speak in their own language and others are supposed to understand. The only concession is that German speakers use standard German, not their dialect.

There's a lot more other language flexibility, too: for example, in The Bridge (original version), where Swedish characters speak Swedish and Danish characters speak Danish, and everyone, both characters and audience, understands.

I've seen Casablanca dubbed in German: "Spiel' es, Sam! Spiel' »As Time Goes By«!". :D

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 23, 2016, 10:36:09 PMSo I hope that SBS will provide teletext for the English spoken parts of The Last Panthers as well as hard coded subtitles for the French and Serbian.

Good luck with that. I only recall SBS having both teletext and hard subtitles on English-language programs, where the hard subtitles were provided for speech that was indistinct.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Tezza007

Quote from: prl on March 24, 2016, 11:58:27 AM
I think what tezza007 means by "too many subtitles" is "pretty much any at all". ;)
No, but if there's too many, I find myself missing too much of the show from reading the subtitles.
I also hate when there are no subtitles as so many movies do today in English language movies when someone speaks another language
Also watching the F1 qualifying, too busy looking at the lap times to see the action

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on March 24, 2016, 11:58:27 AMGood luck with that. I only recall SBS having both teletext and hard subtitles on English-language programs, where the hard subtitles were provided for speech that was indistinct.

I fear that you are probably right, but hope that you are wrong. One of the main reasons that I have not watched this series so far has been the quality of the subtitles, particularly for the English spoken parts.

prl

Quote from: Tezza007 on March 24, 2016, 01:19:52 PM
I also hate when there are no subtitles as so many movies do today in English language movies when someone speaks another language
That's often done for dramatic effect where it's being indicated that the English-speaking characters don't understand what's being said, or where language is important to the context.

IIRC it was done like that in The Great Escape, and important in at least one scene where some of the escapees are caught out by one of the German-speakers suddenly calling out to them in English as the walked way (thinking they were OK). It'd be difficult to convey that if the German-speakers spoke in the (often awful) German-accented English that was often used in movies like that. So it's actually not something particularly new (TGE was made in 1963).
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Having grown up in Hungary, I am quite used to subtitles, they don't bother me.  Although, movies in Hungary are also often dubbed and it is done very well, it is considered an artform.  Sometimes, you can hardly tell it is dubbed.
I also noticed with modern Hungarian movies (now that Russian is not the only acceptable language any longer) that they don't have subtitles for any conversations taking place in English, German or Russian.  Obviously they are expected to understand. That annoys me, because I don't understand any that is not English.   ;D
SBS subtitles leave a lot to be desired for several reasons.
A friend is always cracking jokes about Hungarian movies having white subtitles written on snow.  ::) I haven't noticed until she pointed it out, as I rarely read the subtitles for Hungarian movies.  Now, I see that all the time  :P
When I do look, it brings me to complaint number 2.  Sometimes the translation is shocking, not even resembling what's being said.  I can only presume that it is as bad for other languages.
Reminds me of having gone to see an Italian movie with an Italian friend.  Everyone was rolling with laughter, the actors on screen spoke for a good minute, and the subtitle said "yes"
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

raymondjpg

Quote from: csutak40 on March 24, 2016, 08:48:04 PMA friend is always cracking jokes about Hungarian movies having white subtitles written on snow.  ::) I haven't noticed until she pointed it out, as I rarely read the subtitles for Hungarian movies.  Now, I see that all the time  :P

I hadn't noticed any white subtitles on SBS Perhaps because I haven't watched any Hungarian movies? I must say that I prefer the SBS yellow subtitles and use yellow for all my custom subtitling. BBC uses white more often than not which I do not like, probably for the same reason that it does not show up so well on some backgrounds.

Quote from: csutak40 on March 24, 2016, 08:48:04 PMWhen I do look, it brings me to complaint number 2.  Sometimes the translation is shocking, not even resembling what's being said.  I can only presume that it is as bad for other languages.

One of my pet hates too, as a connoisseur now of English subtitles for spoken English!

raymondjpg

Now we can see that The Last Panthers will be simulcaast on SBS1 and SBS HD. However my IceTV entry for My Week has the SBS HD screening as "France, English, French Subtitles". Quel Dommage!!

csutak40

On the weekly email, there is:
   The Eichmann Show    Sunday    

So, I set a timer for it.  Had no trouble setting the timer, but it doesn't appear anywhere and when I search for it by name, it isn't there
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

raymondjpg

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 24, 2016, 04:13:41 PM
Quote from: prl on March 24, 2016, 11:58:27 AMGood luck with that. I only recall SBS having both teletext and hard subtitles on English-language programs, where the hard subtitles were provided for speech that was indistinct.

I fear that you are probably right, but hope that you are wrong. One of the main reasons that I have not watched this series so far has been the quality of the subtitles, particularly for the English spoken parts.

SBS has provided teletext subtitles for the English spoken parts of the first episode, I guess maybe because there is a significant proportion of spoken English in the episode. I think it is likely they will continue with this practice for the rest of the series, for the same reason.

Unfortunately SBS is broadcasting a version with skinny white subtitles for the French spoken parts, courtesy of a.s.i.f. - Anglo Subtitlers in France. It's not anyone's fault, but I prefer SBS own yellow ones. Luckily the series is not in snow-bound country!

raymondjpg

Orphan Black Series 4 starting 14 April BBC America. TV Tonight reported in February "No date confirmed for Australia as yet". I have no idea how it will be syndicated, but SBS has been showing a string of repeats lately. Join the dots if you dare.

Alison

Yes, I can confirm we will be getting the next season of Orphan Black on Tuesday the 19th April at 9.35pm on SBS 2! ;D
IceTV Guide Team

raymondjpg

Quote from: Alison on April 03, 2016, 06:19:59 PM
Yes, I can confirm we will be getting the next season of Orphan Black on Tuesday the 19th April at 9.35pm on SBS 2! ;D

Tremendous! Thanks Alison.