Dates Wrong

Started by Glyde62, April 21, 2010, 07:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyde62

Lately when i check the TV Guide on my 7100 it is often 2 or 3 days behind,I have it connected via cable and it seems to be showing on the network
Anyone have any ideas?

tonymy01

Is your Topfield clock out by 2-3 days, or your local broadcaster?   Depending on what mode you run (manual time, auto time) depends on what happens to ICE data.
Topfield stupidly still use the broadcaster clock even when you choose "manual time" mode (which is meant to protect you from bad/dodgy broadcaster clocks!).  This is because you can't setup a GMT offset in manual time mode, so the Toppy doesn't know what GMT time is without having a look at the broadcaster clock.  It then subtracts your PVR local date/time (that you see on the front panel in standby or in the relevant PVR clock menu for example) from the broadcaster UTC/GMT sent date/time and that number it obtains becomes the GMT offset (and the Toppy doesn't even round this out by 15/30mins!!).    ICE data is UTC based (EIT also is for that matter).   The PVR adds its 'dodgily calculated' GMT offset to the ICE EPG UTC time to get you the local date/time of the EPG event that you see in the Toppy EPG guide view.   So if the broadcaster clock is out by 3 days, or your main system clock is out by 3 days, and you run manual time, your EPG will be out by 3 days also.

Now, proof of this rounding thing... notice how sometimes the EPG is on strange boundaries, like 12.29 to 12.59, when in ICE interactive here it shows 12.30 to 13.00?  Or another example is times like 12.31 to 13.01.   This is due to your PVR manual clock being about 1minute out compared to the broadcaster clock (+your local area GMT offset, 10hours for Eastern states now).    

If you run "AUTO" time, then the PVR *will* use the GMT offset setup in the PVR clock setup menu (so no dodgy PVR calcs), and so the EPG times will always be correct (well, will be correct as per the ICE interactive pages).

Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Glyde62

Ok wil check what setting the clock is on..