Interactive DST/resend "quirk" on the Beyonwiz

Started by tonymy01, April 04, 2010, 02:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonymy01

Others have mentioned this message in the past, and it appears I am getting it every time now:
Wait 25minutes to get scheduler tasks"... drats, wait, watch as ICE tells it every 5mins how long to wait and/or the Wiz is indicating how long to go, and then, at the end of all the waiting-
Try to get scheduler tasks.
Wait 30minutes to get scheduler tasks.
MSG "Invalid task action" (the message in question).

This has only started since I tried the "resend all" from the account settings the other day, to tidy up the mess I believe ICE has made of Sunday's shows (had the wrong timeslot for a number of shows, that must have been corrected during the week but of course the damage was done for any timers that had been sent in the beginning).
And I am not talking about the quirk (major annoyance!) of the Wiz adding the *current* GMT offset at the time of receiving the timer to add it to the Wiz timer tables, this of course means every timer is out by an hour.    So every show I wanted to be recorded for Sunday, if it hadn't clashed due to too many shows overlapping, had 2 timers for it in adjacent (well if it was a 1hour show it was adjacent) timeslot.

Does ICE send deletes for mistakes or timeslot shifts?   Does the resend all do any kind of mess clean up?   Why does the resend all cause the Beyonwiz issues and indicate MSG "Invalid task action" in the Beyonwiz GUI ICE setup screen (where it shows the running log of getting ICE schedule/guide data)?

It appears I will need to purge the rest of the timers for this week and give "resend all" another shot, but I am not holding my breath, in the past when I did this it basically told the ICE interactive engine "hey, he deleted this timer from the GUI for this week, he obviously doesn't want to record this show for this week so we won't record it for him, even if the resend all is used" and then I have to manually go through every show I wanted to record and choose the "record" option from the ICE web gui.

Oh, one more thing, since doing the resend all (and trying again tonight), all shows have been showing up as doughnuts in the ICE GUI, I guess because the Wiz is not accepting the resent data and reporting the "Invalid task action" error.

And... finally, ICE is showing shows queued to record that I clearly don't want to record, and not showing red dots/doughnuts on shows that I do (but only for Tuesday?), e.g. it is showing Ugly Betty is scheduled but 24 is not, same with Young Ones AND Colby Report vs Durham county, these are on adjacent timeslots (1hour apart) and I expect if ICE simply looks at the show date/time it sees in the Wiz vs the ICE schedule, it would think this same thing for many more shows during the week (as all the Wiz timers are currently an hour out until either the resend-all tidies it all up or I manually do it Sunday morning before I go out so it will catch the F1 etc that is on Sunday evening).

Another edit:
The last timer the Wiz has is Tuesday evening.   For some reason, even the Wiz thinks it is recording Ugly Betty and The Colbert Report, which is strange, as I thought the Wiz used the EPG it knew about at timer creation to label these timers (as evidenced by when the LAN connection dies/is removed for over 5 days, and you plug it in and it first contacts ICE and gets the scheduled events first before it gets the EPG, and so the timers it creates have effectively no name... well *channelName).   Or is this a case of "whoops" for ICE not adjusting the guide correctly at the beginning of the DST change transition, and then later fixing it?  Others have mentioned 7/7HD being out of synch, and others have also noticed ABC similarly impacted.

Anyway, an utter disaster of a transition this time around ICE,  I was expecting the Wiz to set timers for 1hour out, but not for it to get incorrect EPG also at the beginning and set it for 2 hours out effectively.   Please ensure in future you get the transition sorted out well in advance of the event, and have your data auto-adjust on DST transition before it gets sent to our units.   So right now every timer on the Wiz is a mess, and I can't resend all as something is clearly getting confused between Wiz and ICE right now, even with the correct GMT offset setup in the Wiz.  

Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

I'm having problems, too (Beyonwiz DP-S1, firmware 01.05.325 beta, ACT IceTV). Initially I tried just changing the time zone and doing an IceTV "resend all" as suggested in All of my timers are incorrect now that daylight savings is in effect. (Updated). This had no useful effect . After the Beyonwiz resynched, all the original timers remained, but now for the wrong times, all the IceTV recordings changed over to red doughnuts, and the one recording timer that I had manually set on the Beyonwiz was deleted.

I deleted all the old timers on the S1, and did another "resend all". After the Beyonwiz re-synched, it had transferred one timer (for Ancient Megastructures, ABC1 18:06 Tue  Apr 6). All the IceTV web page recordings remained as doughnuts, including the one for Ancient Megastructures.

I then deleted the IceTV cache on the Beyonwiz, and did another "resend all" on IceTV. After the Beyonwiz re-synched, it had transferred a second timer (The Wire, ABC2 21:30 Tue Apr 6), but all the IceTV web page recordings remained as doughnuts, including the ones for both of the timers that have been sent.

What a mess. I think I'll next try deleting and re-creating all the recordings on IceTV. What a mess.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

tonymy01

This morning, take 2, I found the Wiz didn't do the MSG "Invalid Task" which was nice.   I don't know how the 4am wakeup timer went, but the first thing I did when I powered up now is go straight to the ICE status screen, and was suprised to see it finally do the

Try to get scheduler state
Get scheduler state: OK
Try to send scheduler state
Send scheduler state: OK

wow!   So then checking my timer list... oh dear, 2 timers for every show where creating the correct time for the timer didn't cause a clash.   But still ICE insisted I wanted ugly betty & colbert report & young ones recorded, and not the original shows for those timeslots.
Thankfully due to this error I was getting the past few days (Invalid task), I didn't have any timers past Tuesday, so there is no mess past Tuesday and all is back to normal for then.

I have deleted the shows that I don't want recorded and/or at the wrong timeslot, and won't tempt fate with the resend all recordings, clearly that is now broken to the Wiz.    I have actually never believed that would solve the issue of every timer out by an hour, despite others indicating in the Beyonwiz forums that this was all they did.    As from what I can see, ICE doesn't really delete much from the PVR, only add stuff.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

I went back to Beyonwiz firmware version 01.05.320 (last public release) instead of the latest beta, did an IceTV "resend all" and waited for a synch with ICETV, but there was no change. Still just the two timers on the Beyonwiz, and all dougndnuts on IceTV web.

So I deleted all the current IceTV recordings, waited for a synch. The two timers on the Beyonwiz (the ones thet IceTV said it hadn't sent) were deleted.

I then redid all my recordings, and waited for the synch. At last, all the week's timers were sent, apparently all correctly.

"IceTV makes recording and managing your TV shows simpler and smarterâ€"you’ll never miss a show again."  ::)

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

Hehe

I thought now everything is in the right timeslot and just a few gaps (thanks to me manually purging the erroneous ones from the GUI), I would try a resend all one more time to fill the missing gaps, and resend all *still* gives the same MSG "Invalid Task Action" message on the Wiz status bar next time it updates after choosing that option.   Argh.  
Time to purge all and start again.
Regards
Tony

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on April 04, 2010, 11:17:08 AM
Hehe

I thought I would try a resend all one more time, now everything is in the right timeslot and just a few gaps, resend all gives the same MSG Invalid Task Action message.   Argh.  
Time to purge all and start again.
That's strange. I've never seen the Invalid Task Action message. But I've quite often had the timer updating hang just after it prints the first "fetching scheduled tasks" (or similar) message of the exchange.

I think that you're right that there's something badly wrong with "resend all" between the Beyonwiz and IceTV. It's just wierd that I'm seeing such different misbehaviour from what you're seeing. I think that this time is the messiest DST transition I've ever had with Interactive.

Now it's time to go back to 1.05.325 bata and see what breaks. ???

All we need now if for some broadcaster to start spraying round dodgy TDT time values for confusion to be complete.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

I wonder whether this not understanding the resend-all message has been around the past public f/w release and perhaps earlier.  The last time I used this was last DST transition which was September last year of course, which proceeded the last public release by a bit.

Wow, just looked in interactive (my upcoming timers) and the only non-doughnuts I have now are the timers I manually set from the Wiz GUI about 45mins ago for the known shows missing (e.g. tonight's F1 gaps, e.g. Durham County on Tuesday).   So some communications are happening from Wiz to ICE...   Also Bones is there, but I realised Bones was a repeat so removed it from the Wiz, dunno what is going on there.
Regards
Tony

JPP

Hmmm..This whole DSL timer issue must be device specfic.

This is the wrong thread to be posting in, but as there isn't a Toppy thread for this issue, I'll post about it here.

To my surprise and delight, my 2400 Toppy came up with the correct time this morning - I hadn't done a thing about it last night.

Additionally, a timer I had set from the EPG last Friday, an everyday 7pm ABC news timer, was correct too, even though it had been showing as one hour late on the EPG for the next 5 days up until today.

But, as I reported on the Wiz Forum, all my ICETV timers last week showed up as one hour late after this Sunday.

Now, because the timer I had created myself from the ICE EPG last Friday had also been showing one hour late, but was now showing up in the correct time slot, I thought that all the ICETV created timers would have too.

But no, these all remained one hour late.

So, as all of us did, I deleted all the ICETV created timers and did a resend. This was around 10am this morning. I got them all again 5 min later, and they are all correct too what's more, much to my surprise I might add. The short wait came about because it had been about 25 min after I had turned on the Toppy, so there was just 5 min to wait before the half hour was up.

So there you have it. I haven't fully analysed all of this, but I am pleased that at least this operation seemed to have gone well. Just how ICETV appears to have been so much less reliable on the Wiz is something Im puzzled about. From what I can gather from the responses so far to a thread I started about this topic on the Toppy Forum, all timers set from the FTA EPG seem to have come across DLS without any need for adjustment. Not that timers are performing flawlessly in every other department just yet  :).

Finally, not really related to this topic, is the fcat that I am seeing many duplicate entries in the ICETV EPG of late. These are showing up even in the 5K Toppy ICETV EPG - seems to point to sloppy EPG updates  - Daniel please chirp in here if you have an explanation for this recent phenomina.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

JPP

Interestingly, although all my resent timers came through yesterday within the 1/2 hours maximum time limit, all the timers on the ICETV website are still shown as doughnuts. ICETV web server overloaded with resend updates?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Trial_Master

Tony

I did a Factory Reset on my P2 last night and activated my ICE account last. I then went to ICE website and Resent all Timers and now I'm getting the same error message you mentioned above. I recall this happening last time I had to Factory the box even lodged a support ticket but I think the solution ended up being delete all ICE recordings and start again. Not ideal!!!

Did you happen to find any further information from ICE or further fiddling before I take the painful step of re-entering everything?

Trial_Master

I've opened a new support ticket (Case 41958) on the Resend All Recordings issue. I'd love to get this resolved, it impacts me every time I've used it over the last couple of years. I've included the link to this thread in the Case Ticket so please contribute to this thread if you have been impacted.

Trial_Master

I have no idea if ICE have even looked at my support ticket. But the timers have now downloaded to the BW and the recordings are showing as scheduled in Interactive?

I have Resent all Recordings a few times today and also Saved Changes on each individual of My Recordings so I have no idea what fixed it. The Resend all Recordings should just work and I believe ICE should be looking into this. My last support ticket with this exact issue was back in March 2010 (Case 35771).

grampus

Quote from: Trial_Master on September 24, 2010, 04:17:46 PM
I have no idea if ICE have even looked at my support ticket. But the timers have now downloaded to the BW and the recordings are showing as scheduled in Interactive?

I have Resent all Recordings a few times today and also Saved Changes on each individual of My Recordings so I have no idea what fixed it. The Resend all Recordings should just work and I believe ICE should be looking into this. My last support ticket with this exact issue was back in March 2010 (Case 35771).
Thought I would share my experience this morning.
I wanted to rescan all my services on my S1.
So I thought a good chance to test out the basic resend all from scratch.
Into initialize, Cleared all services, cleared all timers, cleared EPG Cache.
Then rescan all.
Back to Ice on the web, and resend all for the box.
Half an hour later all the timers were present, the EPG was loaded.
Ice TV Web site showed solid red circles. for all timers that were loaded.
Nothing missing on the box.

My f/w  is .342.

I have 2 devices, and still have the occasional glitch where a timer appears on the wrong box.
Most of these are timers that have been present as series timers for some time, and have presented themselves on the correct BW in previously weeks.
This can happen out of the blue with no manual resends occurring.

BeyonWiz, T3

Daniel Hall at IceTV

I have an inkling as to what causes this, if this is still occuring for anyone please let me know so I can check out your account.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Trial_Master

Thanks Daniel

I only seem to get this issue when I need to use the Resend all Recordings feature. I'd offer to break my service for you to test but it takes days to get everything running smoothly again. If it does occur again though I will certainly let you know.