Main Menu

"V" reruns

Started by tonymy01, March 09, 2010, 07:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonymy01

According to TV Tonight, V is going to have a few encore/re-runs this week, but I can't find them in the guide.   Hope Nein advertises this fact soon!  I missed the last 10mins or so, wouldn't mind recording one of these re-runs to catch up in a less clashy timeslot now.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

raymondjpg

I guess you have found them by now?

GO! 10.30 pm tonight and 2.00 pm tomorrow (according to Ice Guide).
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

tonymy01

Argh, I have done it again.  That search in ICE guide is *useless*  in the "my upcoming shows" section.   Natural instinct is to type the show name in there, and of course it just searches your upcoming shows, not the full guide.... I wonder if the re-runs were there all along and that is what I did the other day also??

I don't quite know why the search option is even in the upcoming shows section, when it only searches your upcoming shows.   All of your upcoming shows are on the one page, so it makes no sense to have a funky search engine when you can literally search for text on that page with the web browser.   It gets me time and time again when I go to search for new shows, as of course 99% of the time I have my browser sitting at the "My Upcoming Shows" page as I am always on the lookout for clashing shows that haven't transferred and the like.

That is it, there is only one option here, and that is to ensure I have faves set for every show I want to record.  Then I can see if it is on the my upcoming shows page and see re-runs of it on that same page if I need to select a rerun to record to resolve a clash.   I think it is the quickest and easiest way.   But the search option there still gets me every single time ;-).

Of course if the Widget wasn't so useless compared to the web page, I would use that a lot more, but all I really do is use the Widget to see the "Today Now" timeslots cruising on thru and non-donuts (shame it isn't up to par of the Web interface).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Daniel Drysdale at IceTV

Tony, your idea of setting favourites on all your shows is what we do ourselves and is certainly the way to go.

With regards to the upcoming search, you seem to think it should search the guide not the upcoming shows, how would you like it to work? and if it did do what you want do you think it would make sense to the average user?

You often complain about the widget, could I ask you to give me your widget wish/gripe list so I can keep it in mind for future updates?
Cheers,

Dan
Software Manager @ IceTV

tonymy01

The widget doesn't have any advanced searches (e.g. try searching for "V" hehe), doesn't show queued vs transferred shows and a few other niggling things I have with it, but it does the job of letting me find a show on occasion and generally datafills itself ok (sometimes it gets to a point of no data in it, dunno why that happens, it isn't often).
Regards
Tony

prl

I'm not Tony, but how about having the Widget display "queued" icons like the Web page does, instead of showing the "scheduled" icon for everything, whether the timer has been sent or not?

Also, I just had the Yahoo 2.11(22) widget on Windows XP tell me that the upgrade to 2.12(23) was available. When I clicked on the Download Now button, the button greyed out and the widget froze. Other widgets in the engine continued running. I closed and restarted the widget, and the same thing happened. When I went to the Widget download page, the download link told me that I would be downloading version 2.7 of the Yahoo Widget. No indication on the ZIP file what the version actually was. The Widget installation process also didn't reveal what version I was installing. The (i) button on the widget revealed that I had in fact downloaded the new version of the widget, 2.12(23).

The new version still shows the "scheduled" icon for all recordings, even if they are only queued.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

raymondjpg

Quote from: Daniel Drysdale at IceTV on March 11, 2010, 08:52:07 AM
Tony........With regards to the upcoming search, you seem to think it should search the guide not the upcoming shows, how would you like it to work?

Not just Tony, I think.

I was not aware that the search function just applied to My Upcoming Shows. Perhaps it is because I find it pretty limited. For example, a search on "V" (even an advanced search) has thrown up a large number of false positives.

My ideal search function would look across the whole Ice Guide (I can't see how that would be confusing to anybody), and would have an *exact phrase* option, not just "all keywords". If I'm using it wrong I'd like to know how.

I use the web interface exclusively, I guess because I have the luxury of time and a PC with a large monitor. I imagine that the widgets (that I have tried) might be more useful for people on the run with handheld devices. They can speak for themselves.

And yes, since subscribing to Ice about a year ago I found that setting favourites (and keyword favourites for upcoming shows) for all shows I was interested in was the best way to track what I wanted to watch. IIRC this is what Ice advises in How To guides. But that is not to say that it can or should be a substitute for a more accurate search function.

Regards
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Daniel Drysdale at IceTV

Thanks for the input.

With regards to the widget I'm working on an update to the web service that the widget uses which will add the information necessary to distinguish between queued and acknowledged timers, this is for an upcoming update to the iPhone App but we will be able to add it to the widget in a future update.

The search function in the widget provides most of the same functionality of the advanced search on the website, ie title:simpsons etc it looks like there is a bug in there somewhere as title:v seems to produce shows without a V in the title, we will address this in a future update.

With regards to the search on "My Upcoming" it sounds like you want it to just be the same as the search on the "TV Guide", I've discussed this with the dev team and the consensus was that a user seeing a search field above a table of data would expect the search to filter the table not perform a similar but unrelated search. Please feel free to convince me that this is not the case.

With the website search we recently added a new feature that may be helpful for finding shows like V

http://www.icetv.com.au/interactive/about_advanced_search

from that doc

Find the show "V": (note the use of the plus sign (+) to specify an exact match, in this case on the series name)
+series:v

this feature is not in the widget but will be in a future update.
Cheers,

Dan
Software Manager @ IceTV

vader1111

The 10:30 re-run next week (Wed 17th March) isn't marked as a repeat.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Daniel Drysdale at IceTV on March 11, 2010, 12:46:41 PM
With regards to the search on "My Upcoming" it sounds like you want it to just be the same as the search on the "TV Guide", I've discussed this with the dev team and the consensus was that a user seeing a search field above a table of data would expect the search to filter the table not perform a similar but unrelated search. Please feel free to convince me that this is not the case.

Agreed. Now that I understand that the search has to be performed on the TV Guide, not My Upcoming Shows. However, I also agree with Tony that the search function on My Upcoming Shows is not particularly useful - at least on the web interface. Maybe for a widget on a handheld device, but I am not a user so cannot tell.

Find the show "V": (note the use of the plus sign (+) to specify an exact match, in this case on the series name)
+series:v

Now that is handy to know, thanks Daniel. I tried it with +title and it worked fine for V. However, unless I am doing it wrong, it relied on me manually adding the + sign. My suggestion would be to automate this with an option in advanced search for "exact phrase".

Regards

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 11, 2010, 08:15:47 PM

Now that is handy to know, thanks Daniel. I tried it with +title and it worked fine for V. However, unless I am doing it wrong, it relied on me manually adding the + sign. My suggestion would be to automate this with an option in advanced search for "exact phrase".

Regards

There is an option on the advanced search page for "Exact" that does just that.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on March 11, 2010, 08:17:55 PM
There is an option on the advanced search page for "Exact" that does just that.

Doh. Please understand that users like me have to be held by the hand.

Regards

tonymy01

Exactly, this was added a little while ago (I brought this up in another topic about searching for V and it was resolved and added only hours later!!!)
Regards
Tony

JPP

...................With regards to the search on "My Upcoming" it sounds like you want it to just be the same as the search on the "TV Guide", I've discussed this with the dev team and the consensus was that a user seeing a search field above a table of data would expect the search to filter the table not perform a similar but unrelated search. Please feel free to convince me that this is not the case.

Hi Daniel,

If I may chirp in here..I don't do that very often here wrt search function topics as I don't use them much...just looking at what Tony has brought up, I would agree with him that there's really little use for searching just shows that are in your Upcoming Shows list. But, we could keep things as they are and just add an extra choice at the top of the Search and Advanced Search lists to specify searching either the Upcoming Shows list or the TV Guide. Maybe make that a once off select option that remains in force until you change your preferred source.

Alternatively, I'd go for the simple way out and drop the Search function altogether from the My Upcoming Shows page. By this stage, you've already made your choices so there's no real need to search for anything. The My Shows page clearly lists all the shows that you are watching/recording so the need for a search seems superfluous to me. My 2 cents for today  :).
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

prl

I'd like the search box to remain in My Upcoming Shows but for it to search the Guide.

When I want to add a recording, I often do it by searching the guide, because I remember what the show is, but not when it's showing. About the only time I use the search box on My Upcoming is when I want to find a show to add, and I forget to go to the Guide first. When I want to actually search My Upcoming, I use the browser search. It's much faster.

To clarify the search scope for this, the search box title could be changed from "Search" to "Search Guide".
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing