Padding, clashes and multiple devices - how it could be!

Started by mtb, February 08, 2010, 12:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: JPP on February 14, 2010, 04:43:04 PM
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth of musings here. Just to clarify before I go any further, am I right in understandingt that ICETV does NOT send out time slots, but rather a program ID? ...
Timer entries on the Beyonwiz contain an IceTV 64-bit program id if IceTV is enabled, even on shows that were programmed on the Beyonwiz. For more details about what gets sent, we'd probably have to ask peteru, who designed the PIMP protocol that underlies IceTV. I don't think they contain the program id information from the FTA EPG, but I'm not sure.

PS: It's modus operandi, not modis.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

JPP

Quote from: prl on February 14, 2010, 07:11:30 PM
Cheez...too slow again. Time to put in the Peter spelling checker... :). Fixed it up your honour.

I think Peter is under an NDA. We've hinted, asked and even begged him outright, to tell us at least something about the protocol, but a stony silence from him and ICETV is what we've so far always been met with  :'(.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

prl

Quote from: JPP on February 14, 2010, 07:52:32 PM
Quote from: prl on February 14, 2010, 07:11:30 PM
Cheez...too slow again. Time to put in the Peter spelling checker... :). Fixed it up your honour.

I think Peter is under an NDA. We've hinted, asked and even begged him outright, to tell us at least something about the protocol, but a stony silence from him and ICETV is what we've so far always been met with  :'(.
:)

I think you're right about Peter being under an NDA, but he does sometimes give some hints about capability of the protocol.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

csutak40

Quote from: tonymy01 on February 14, 2010, 12:17:45 PM
It would be good to be able to set some preliminary preferences like "I have 2 devices, 2 tuners each, allow clash overflow of device 1 to get recorded on device2, allow clash overflow on device 2 to get recorded on device 1"... and then also allow manual settings like now so you can distribute as you see fit amongst the two PVRs (but use colours to distinguish the multiple devices ICE!! Not silly pulldown menus, how can I tell a show is clashing or not at first glance if I only get to see half the picture at any one time!).

My ranting over ;-)

Well, at least we're dreaming of the same thing!   ;D  Except you have more of a chance of your dream coming true than I do, - you know code!  :( ::)  :P
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

grahford

As I've whined and complained about in other threads I would love it to be like this.

* IceTV knows how many tuners I have.  Either because it knows from what device I've selected in setup or I've told it.
* If it detects a possible clash (either through programming or from a show returning or moving) it sends an alert letting me know the details.  Either the next time I log onto the site or an email alert.

That's it.

I've never really had a problem with clashing shows as I've kept an eye on it.  But these new digital channels with their blocks of repeating shows have started to make it harder.  

Plus given I've always got a backlog of taped shows I rarely watch live TV.  So I'm starting to lose track of what shows are on what nights without looking it up.  So I no longer have a feel for where clashes might occur.

tonymy01

Quote from: grahford on February 16, 2010, 01:38:27 PM
Plus given I've always got a backlog of taped shows I rarely watch live TV.  So I'm starting to lose track of what shows are on what nights without looking it up.  So I no longer have a feel for where clashes might occur.
Yep, same here.  I have a pretty serious backlog at the moment, 620G arghhhh (420G Wiz, 200G 5K, mind you, some of this is movies I might watch one day).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

csutak40

Quote from: tonymy01 on February 16, 2010, 02:59:48 PM
Quote from: grahford on February 16, 2010, 01:38:27 PM
Plus given I've always got a backlog of taped shows I rarely watch live TV.  So I'm starting to lose track of what shows are on what nights without looking it up.  So I no longer have a feel for where clashes might occur.
Yep, same here.  I have a pretty serious backlog at the moment, 620G arghhhh (420G Wiz, 200G 5K, mind you, some of this is movies I might watch one day).

Yeah, I think we all need treatment, go to one of those American rehab centers for addiction.  ;D I keep recording shows, when the hard drives are full I burn them, yet still no one has invented more hours in the day, which would be the only way for me to ever catch up.  I suppose, when I move into the nursing home, with no Toppy, etc, I may have time to catch up   :-\  ;D  Maybe I shouldn't even admit this, but I religiously tape the Bold & the Beautiful every day  :-[ (my excuse is that I was laid out with glandular fever when it first came on and had nothing else to do, by the time I went back to work, I was addicted) then burn them, although I haven't actually watched an episode for years (except for the bits I see while burning it - which is probably enough to keep in touch with what's going on ::))
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,