IceBox2 Alternatives or Replacements

Started by AndrewLindsay, January 19, 2010, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewLindsay

My Icebox2 has died  :'(

Is there an alternative to not require PC and USB connections?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

wazh

Andrew,

Mine died last year as well and I replaced it with something similar. Are you still interested if so I can send you the info.

Warren

csutak40

I am not the OP, but am curious what you replaced it with.  I think mine is on its last legs.  I use TEDS and I often get a "fatal error, no connection to the Toppy"  Resetting the IceBox usually fixes the problem, so I presume it is sickly  :(

Also, regards to your other post, how did the Toppy die in the move?  I will be moving soon, so curious as to what went wrong.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

tonymy01

5Ks with dodgy PSUs only need to get a slight inrush current at the new location, or even the mains voltage being a bit different at the new place to see symptoms that weren't seen at the old place.  $4 worth of components (capacitors) and all is good again, there are a few Toppy hobby repairers that can fix these for you for a beer or two.

As to the ICEBOX, those of you with ICEBOX issues, have you tried putting a newer plug-pack supply on?  I have heard the DC supply starts dying (same issue as the Toppy, dying capacitors), and putting a new regulated plug-pack in will fix them most times.

Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

csutak40

Quote from: tonymy01 on April 16, 2010, 09:09:58 PM
5Ks with dodgy PSUs only need to get a slight inrush current at the new location, or even the mains voltage being a bit different at the new place to see symptoms that weren't seen at the old place.  $4 worth of components (capacitors) and all is good again, there are a few Toppy hobby repairers that can fix these for you for a beer or two.

Thanks for that, will keep it in mind.  Already have new/ish capacitors, but the person that installed them for me is no longer around.  Shame I'm in Melbourne.  Oh well, worry about it if/when the need arises. 

Quote from: tonymy01 on April 16, 2010, 09:09:58 PMAs to the ICEBOX, those of you with ICEBOX issues, have you tried putting a newer plug-pack supply on?  I have heard the DC supply starts dying (same issue as the Toppy, dying capacitors), and putting a new regulated plug-pack in will fix them most times.

OK, being a mere female this is probably a very silly question, but what is a plug-pack supply?  :-[ I presume it is another expression for power supply, but just to be sure  ;D 
Cheers,
Judy

tonymy01

One of those "cube" things that deliver a DC supply, rather than directly plugging mains into the body of the device.   So yes, a power supply, power cube, plug pack, all the same thing.   Just ensure you get a good regulated one with the right kind of connector (or adapter) and provides both the same voltage (important!) and equal to or more current (amps).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

csutak40

Quote from: tonymy01 on April 18, 2010, 09:57:29 PM
One of those "cube" things that deliver a DC supply, rather than directly plugging mains into the body of the device.   So yes, a power supply, power cube, plug pack, all the same thing.   Just ensure you get a good regulated one with the right kind of connector (or adapter) and provides both the same voltage (important!) and equal to or more current (amps).

So, if I take it into Jaycar, (hopefully, you have Jaycar in Sydney, so know what I'm talking about ;D) would they be able to give me the correct one by looking at it?
Cheers,
Judy

brianh

Also, as to a replacement - the WL-500GP V2 can be used - not as an Icebox - but it will run Oleg's FW and connect via ftp.  I have compiled a walk-through that details all the steps if you need it, just email me if you want it.

Garry572

Same problem here my old faithful Icebox2 has died. Does anyone have a suggestion ? I will try another plug pack today :'(

csutak40

Quote from: Garry572 on May 11, 2010, 07:45:55 AM
Same problem here my old faithful Icebox2 has died. Does anyone have a suggestion ? I will try another plug pack today :'(

Well, bought a new plug pack, was starting to hope that the problem was fixed, but that only lasted three days, then got the same "fatal error, no connection to the Toppy" error again.  So far, unplugging the IceBox seems to fix it -fingers and toes crossed that it will continue to do so
Cheers,
Judy

Garry572

I found another 5V plug pack with a greater rating that the original IceBox 2.5A instead of 2A @ 5V
Must be my lucky day, so far it been working well, as per the last 3 years, fingers crossed

dclayw

Quote from: brianh on April 27, 2010, 06:19:57 PM
Also, as to a replacement - the WL-500GP V2 can be used - not as an Icebox - but it will run Oleg's FW and connect via ftp.  I have compiled a walk-through that details all the steps if you need it, just email me if you want it.

I've recently replaced the caps on my 5000PVRt and it's running like a dream again. I'm so impressed with this machine, something like 6 years old now. I'm thinking about picking up another one second hand to use in another room. Is the icebox the only alternative for getting the ice guide to the 5000. Does it have to be the Asus WL-500GP, or is there another wireless router that can be used. I need to do this on the cheap otherwise it's just not worthwhile, better off to get a beyonwiz or something. My original icebox2 is still going strong.

Edit: Another alternative for me might be to pick up a second hand Topfield 7100 instead of a 5000. Don't want to get too far off topic but can the 7100 receive the ice guide via any vanilla flavoured wireless bridge plugged into it's LAN port. (I have a Netgear bridge sitting idle atm)

JPP

Quote from: dclayw on June 07, 2010, 04:28:59 PM
Edit: Another alternative for me might be to pick up a second hand Topfield 7100 instead of a 5000. Don't want to get too far off topic but can the 7100 receive the ice guide via any vanilla flavoured wireless bridge plugged into it's LAN port. (I have a Netgear bridge sitting idle atm)
Yes  :)
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Sturg

Must be about the time for IceBox 2s to turn up their toes. Mine has gone off line in the last week, and annoyingly IceTV can't recommend a replacement and didn't even touch on the issue of repair.

Mine lights up, but the 4 WAN ports and the LAN ports are now all that light up.

I have checked the power supply and it reads 5.2 volts on a meter, so is it OK, or can it show Ok on volts but have lost the capacity to deliver current?

Sorry, I am no sparky.

Mine has needed a reboot between updates for probably about a year prior to going off air.

I have been trying to manually upload (which is a real PITA), but the only laptop in the house runs Windows 7 Pro, and I have not yet located Win 7 EPG upload programs, but have yet to have a good look around the forum.

Daryl

PS: I'm in Brisbane, if anyone can recommend anyone competent as doctor for these things.

JPP

Did you measure that under load? Even if it does measure the correct voltage under load, there is no guarantee that the ripple voltage is within specification, which was the issue with one of my failed power supply units. Before giving up altogether,I would give a new Power Supply a go - I've gone through 2 in the space of 3 years. It's a lot simpler and cheaper than anything else you can do. Get one with a higher current rating - it will generally last longer than one with the original specs.

If that fails, you could laso replace the electrolytic capacitors - I forget how many there are in the unit, but it's not many. This brought my IceBox2 back to life on a third occassion.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor