Interactive not sending recording schedules

Started by gerke, April 25, 2009, 12:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinarello65

In trying to resolve my other problem where it was recording the wrong ONE-HD channel (CH12 one digital rather than CH1 One-HD) I now seem to have this problem. Did a complete factory reset.  Set up the network, rescanned channels - noticed a fresh rescan of channels gave me duplicated CH1, CH10, Ch11, Ch12 (all the 'One' channels) so deleted the 2nd instance of each of those,  left the EPG to AIR and powered off.  Restarted. Set the EPG to ICE-TV, enter the username/password, ping test = OK,  get tokens succeeded.  Thought I was finally in business.  Looked at the LCN Settings which was entirely blank whereas previously it listed a number of channels.  Looked at the GUIDE, it gave me an error about not being able to do something (I forget..LCN?) and try again in 2 minutes.  Had this same error every time I tried for the next hour. Turned it off.  Tried it the next day, the GUIDE was working, but no timers are set.

After a couple more days, still no timers being set.  EPG ping test now says FAILED most of the time, get tokens lost my 'Toppy' token and it now says NONE.  Double checked username/password, network settings, everything seems fine. 

I have another token in my setup, 'iMac' which is for the Elgato EyeTV on my iMac and that is working perfectly using the same username/password as I have set on the Toppy. 

pinarello65

Mine has started working again AND recording the right ONE-HD channel which was the other problem I had.   Hopefully fewer troubles for me now.  And basically I've done nothing, it just started to work.

pinarello65

And it stops working again, with me changing nothing.  It seems like there's nothing you can do about it.
All the while my iMac & Elgato EyeTV work perfectly with ICE-TV, regardless of whether the Toppy is working or not.

senator02

I live in Perth, I have had my 7100 for 5 months. I got around to connecting to ICETV about 4 weeks ago. I can see the EPG, but it will not download the scheduled programs. I running of my wireless network of a Belkin router conected to a Belkin ADSL modem runing at speads of 108mb, all connections are good. Still no luck. Any surgestions would be helpful

JPP

Quote from: senator02 on October 29, 2009, 06:48:01 PM
I live in Perth, I have had my 7100 for 5 months. I got around to connecting to ICETV about 4 weeks ago. I can see the EPG, but it will not download the scheduled programs. I running of my wireless network of a Belkin router conected to a Belkin ADSL modem runing at speads of 108mb, all connections are good. Still no luck. Any surgestions would be helpful
I think you may have read my posts regarding this intermittant behaviour with my TRF-2400 PVRs as well. Like the posters above, the EPG always or at least most times seems to get through - the line below the My Account Line at the top of the My Account page shows when your last EPG fetch was done.

I'm still trying to ascertain if it's a Toppy thing or somehow connected to ICETV's interaction with the Toppy's request for a Timers update. Like others, ICETV is working normally on my other ICETV device. Is it somehow dependant on the Router Modem? Not everyone is expericing the problem, so there's something at play that is equipment specific. I have a Dynalink ADSL 2 Router Modem and am using the IceBox2 as my hub at the PVR end of my network to connect the PVRs to the network (two 2400 Toppies and one SD MP via the IceBox2 USB interface).

What is so odd about this behaviour though, is that in my case at least, it all worked with the same equipment with my Beyonwiz for a couple of years and still does with my IceBox2. So, that suggest that something has changed at the ICETV end. But what? Most people aren't having any problems, so whatever has changed, it is pretty subtle.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

pinarello65

Mine worked perfectly with ICE-TV since I bought it over a year ago. It's just started playing up recently in the last couple of weeks when I tried to resolve a problem where it was recording ONE-HD on the wrong channel.  At the moment, my guide data is populated from 25/10 to 31/10 (As I type is 29/10).  If I hit the red button from the EPG settings page, at the moment it says SUCCESS, but nothing changes in the GUIDE or timer settings.  I'll have to wait & see what happens when the date moves past the last day of EPG data I've got. Maybe I need to format the hard disk (which would wipe the EPG data sitting there?), then presumably that would make it do a fresh fetch of 7 days EPG?

My set up is a little complicated, I have a gigabit network switch that everything plugs into via CAT6 network cable, PC, iMac, Toppy, Playstation3 and then a connection from the switch goes to a Draytek Vigor 2700VG modem/router.  A laptop & iPhone connect to the router wirelessly.  ICE-TV is set up with 3 tokens, for Toppy, PC (Win7 media centre with single tuner HD TV tuner card) and iMac (Elgato EyeTV, dual HD tuner).  So I have 3 devices collecting EPG data via my ICE-TV account.

Win7 & iMac both currently have the next 7 days EPG data & correctly set timers. The Toppy is the only one not doing it right. Ordinarily the iMac & Win7 dont get called upon to record very much because its only going to be when there's 3 or more things on at once & that doesnt happen very often. What I've had to do now is move all my regular shows to record on the iMac which does a pretty good job of turning itself on, recording the show & making it available to watch on the big TV via the playstation3, because what I can do is stream the recording from the iMac to the PS3 via a media server running on the iMac.

So it's a bit rubbish really...

Kaff

If your Topfield - IceTV link has been setup and working correctly for some time, then just stops working, I suspect this could be due to the IceTv server being busy.

Last Friday night I could not get the guide, or any timers to download from IceTV.  On the Topfield I went into System Setting >> EPG Setting >> and pressed the red button on the remote to do a connection test, I got messages stating the test was successful.  But still no guide download.

When you do a successful connection test there is a dialogbox that pops up for a split second at the end.  Normally this states:
EPG: 60 minutes
Scheduler: 30 minutes.

I'm guessing this tells the Topfield how often to download the guide/times.

On Friday it stated:
EPG: 0 minutes
Scheduler: 0 minutes.

I suspect this is IceTV telling the Topfield its busy, and won't do a dowload?  I say I believe it is IceTv, not the Topfield, becuase it is IceTV that tells the Topfield how often to do a download.  Below text copied from IceTv webite "Most devices that support IceTV Interactive get their update timing from the IceTV server, which is about 30 minutes unless the IceTV server is under heavy load"

After a while the problem resolved itself, my guide and timers were downloaded to the Topfield, and the dialogbox went back to stating
EPG: 60 minutes
Scheduler: 30 minutes.

dalboz

I've just set up IceTV on my 7100. Not exactly filled with confidence after reading a few threads :-) But will see how it goes. As for the IceTV server issues, it makes me wonder about how the updates are scheduled.

IceTV *should* program each device to update at a random interval. If every toppy updates exactly on the hour or half-hour then the IceTV server will experience the equivalent of a DDoS attack when all toppies in the country try to update at once. The randomizing technique is used by Symantec Antivirus for similar reasons.

prl

It's the device startup time that does the randomisation.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

dalboz

Quote from: prl on November 20, 2009, 10:35:50 PM
It's the device startup time that does the randomisation.

You're assuming that this is in fact random. What about when people set the device to wake up at a preset time every day, as mentioned in the FAQ (I know mine is set at 10am). Or if the wake up happens due to a timer it's most likely to be on the hour/half hour or a couple of mins before.

Would be interesting to see some stats from their query logs ;-) Given the reputation for unreliability, I have half a mind to set up a script to request the guide every X mins and graph the results to see if there are any patterns. Also there is no chance of a DDoS-style issue unless we have a critical mass of devices out in the marketplace. Is that info available anywhere?

tonymy01

What about other times in the day when the PVR fires up for a timer?   Mine is set to wake at 4am (least chance of disturbing a real timer at that time) and then whenever it has to wakeup for a timer.   So unless ICE pushes something *very* last minute thru, what you miss in the morning daily timer (10am for you) you will get later anyway, and will only be of consequence for timers the new timers for shows >5days out (ICE sets timers for up to 5days ahead).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).