Discussion of Beta IceTV Interactive for Windows 7 being available

Started by jaswah, October 23, 2009, 02:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sortez

nice one lads. coming along nicely.

been using ice tv for quite some time, selling it also many a time in my store. just reformatted new pc using windows 7 and installed beta.

was all good with one tuner card, "22 channels loaded succesfully" or something like that, however when i installed second tuner card, i rescanned channels then reloaded ice tv, same as first time. this time "2 devices loaded" comes up in the status however nothing in the guide... Any ideas? Running to Leadtek DTV1000S cards...

Cheers for the good work!

dgaust

Quote from: impact on October 29, 2009, 09:27:38 PM
W7 has improved its soft and hard padding functionality over Vista - both in scope of things like whenever possible and always, and the time increments have increased dramatically.

I tend to agree with Impact on this point - leave the padding to Windows7. It's significantly improved over Vista, both with the type of padding and the length of time you can specify.

Of course, options are good, so if you do include padding later on can you also leave the option to use 7MC's default padding.

dJOS

Quote from: dgaust on October 30, 2009, 11:15:27 AM
Quote from: impact on October 29, 2009, 09:27:38 PM
W7 has improved its soft and hard padding functionality over Vista - both in scope of things like whenever possible and always, and the time increments have increased dramatically.

I tend to agree with Impact on this point - leave the padding to Windows7. It's significantly improved over Vista, both with the type of padding and the length of time you can specify.

Of course, options are good, so if you do include padding later on can you also leave the option to use 7MC's default padding.

I too agree, also leave the series creation to 7MC also, just create the series and maintain it in 7MC - most of the problems I had with IceInt-Vista (and why I ditched it) centered around Ice creating once off shows every single time - IceInt should be using 7MC's options only, no silly jiggery pokery!!!

That includes per channel padding settings, 7MC doesn't support it natively so dont try to be too clever - allow for padding to be set per series with a global default as these are supported by 7MC.
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

yourown

Ive been a user of IceTV with Vista MCE. Its a great product and while it can be a bit tedious sometimes to setup, once its up and running it works a treat!

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 to try out the media center functionality, amazingly all the guide listings worked automatically before installing IceTV.

I'd like to know what advantages IceTV now gives me over vanilla Windows 7. I know there is the interactive portal etc, but is it different data and what are the main benefits?

dJOS

Aside from all the extra features ice bring to the party, the data quality is far superiour to the eit data - if you want to use series records then eit data is far poorer quality and less reliable as a result.
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

bodogbodog

Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Phattchoo

Hi Guys,
Any news on the Beta 2 without the Padding?

I'm really digging the Beta so far, but with only 2 minutes padding, I'm constantly missing the end of *shudder* Home and Away, and my better half is extremely stroppy.

Help me out!

so_bored8008

Same here, it's all working perfectly. Only thing is the padding issue. Apart from that and a couple of tiny little things that don't really effect anything, the beta is working perfectly.

mr_gimlet

Quote from: Phattchoo on November 02, 2009, 10:48:03 PM
I'm really digging the Beta so far, but with only 2 minutes padding, I'm constantly missing the end of *shudder* Home and Away, and my better half is extremely stroppy.

As a workaround for a few days, I'm just recording the next programme that's on after whatever I'm recording. Doing it on a day by day basis through interactive.

Svantegorm

On 2 min padding issue....

I've noticed that there's a registry key which contains the padding details (e.g. value = 2 for 2 minute padding).

What would happen if one set this key manually to say 10?? (or may delete the keys altogether...)

I will give this a go myself later today and report back.

Could this be a workaround until this issue is fixed or just cause havoc?

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: Svantegorm on November 04, 2009, 11:36:02 AM
On 2 min padding issue....

I've noticed that there's a registry key which contains the padding details (e.g. value = 2 for 2 minute padding).

What would happen if one set this key manually to say 10?? (or may delete the keys altogether...)

I will give this a go myself later today and report back.

Could this be a workaround until this issue is fixed or just cause havoc?

This wont work, as I said earlier the interface we are using only supports a maximum of 2 minutes of padding (even though windows 7 supports more internally) and if you enter anything higher than this the adding of the recording to Media Center fails.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Svantegorm

Thanks Daniel.

Any updates on the next release? The padding issue warrants an interim release in itself since the rest of the beta is performing so well.

Keep up the good work.

Slammer6751

Quote from: Svantegorm on November 04, 2009, 11:53:43 AM
Any updates on the next release? The padding issue warrants an interim release in itself since the rest of the beta is performing so well.

Totally agree. If the padding issue was fixed it'd be totally usable as even though my Interactive is showing a failed recording it's still being recorded however it's of no use as the ends missed.

I understand this is beta and I can fall back on my Mythbox for now.

It seems to be coming along nicely.

Cheers

Craig

Svantegorm

very silly to upset/lose customers over such a trivial issue...

either release a new version which disables padding or update us on when the new beta is coming.

---

Question: On the IceTV website, under My Account - latest EPG fetch does not update. Does anyone else have this issue as well? I'm definitely getting new data every day....

rmn

Just auto updated to the new version it works great now that you can opt to use the W7 padding.