Strong SRT-5492

Started by j1c, October 23, 2009, 08:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Sorry, I can't help with specifics. I don't own a Strong.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Scaryscooby

Quote from: Sue on February 07, 2010, 03:03:33 PM
Thanks Peter.

Is the strong meant to be used as a set top box and therefore on all the time or should i be able to watch my TV in TV mode? 

And yes with my strong in standby mode...blue light showing...I can not watch the TV in TV mode. 

Are there any other settings that I may have missed or that I set incorrectly?

Sue

I think its a firmware problem as the time will come up for some time 5 secs? after hitting standby and the signal is still there then it shuts off and all is gone. if you want analogue tv as well split the tv antenna at the wall 1 to the dvr 1 to the tv.

prl

Quote from: Scaryscooby on February 08, 2010, 03:46:07 AM
if you want analogue tv as well split the tv antenna at the wall 1 to the dvr 1 to the tv.
That's a reasonable workaround, and it applies whether the OP's TV is analog or digital.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

sharksaus

Sue
I use my 5492 as my dedicated set top box and dont even bother with the tuner in the tv.
As another person quoted here you could also put a splitter in your coax  before your tv and 5492 and then use the tv's tuner if you wish.

Sue

I have had an e mail from Strong.

My connections were correct but ......due to new government power regulations for energy the receiver must use less than 1 watt when in standby mode.  Due to this it is unable to pass a signal to the TV.

Either have two products on....Strong box and the TV or use a splitter on the antenna.

Sue 

J.D.

Does anyone know if the Strong firmware update is out yet? I have not been able to find it though I did find a reference to it saying it was due out on Thursday 18-2-10.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: J.D. on February 20, 2010, 08:57:28 PM
Does anyone know if the Strong firmware update is out yet? I have not been able to find it though I did find a reference to it saying it was due out on Thursday 18-2-10.

Yep, its out, there are links in our setup documents (under the Help section of the IceTV website) and also from the main page of the Strong website.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

msimpkins

Hi All,
I have recently upgraded the firmware in my 5492 to version 1.04, and can access ICETV schedules without any drama.  However, I am now getting a problem where the picture blanks for a couple of seconds every few minutes.  I note that this was commented on earlier in this post, but there didn't seem to be anyone offering advice so I thought I would try again.

I have been in contact with Strong, who suggested a replacement box - which I did this weekend.  The problem hasn't gone away though, so I'm starting to get a bit frustrated.  The problem only happens when using the ICETV guide, the standard EPG is fine.

I have suggested to Strong that I will hold out until the next firmware release (which will include padding FYI) and see if that fixes the issue, but if nobody else is suffering from this, surely there must be something wrong with my box or set up.  I am connected to the TV (Panasonic Vierra) using HDMI and to the internet via a CAT5 cable to my router - the ICETV authorisation works okay via the net, and I can see my laptop over the LAN, so I figure that part is ok.

Grateful for any thoughts...

Cheers,
Mark.

Paul0809

G'day,

I posted the question below on another thread but it's probably valid here also.  Please help if you can.

Hi all,

I've just joined the forum and I'm hoping for some help.

I've connected my 5492 via ethernet, and it appears on my network.  It can communicate with my PC transferring photos etc, but the 5492 cannot seem to connect to the internet.  I have tried to check my ice TV status 100 times which always comes up as 'unauthorised'.  I've also tried the firmware update feature which also fails.  If I disconnect the ethernet cable from the back of the 5492 and plug it into my laptop I can access the internet, so the cabling is fine. 

Yes I have checked my username and password, and re-entered them many times.  I know they are right as they work on the iceTV website.  I have tried the IceTV support section, and the Strong support line and while they are friendly and helpful, they cannot solve this.

Is there some setting in the 5492 preventing internet access?  Or is my 5492 faulty?  I have installed the latest firmware (1.10) via USB.

Please help,

Paul

Hi ya

Hi,

To fix the unauthorized issue with the strong 5492

Download the latest firmware off the strong website which is at

http://www.strong.com.au/Software.html

Then do a factory set which is under database reset in the system settings.

Bingo Authorised!

cblatti

Doesn't work like "bingo". I found out that you may have to wait for an hour or so until it works... also I usually set the IP address manually. :-\

mmnpkf

I recently bought as Strong 5492 and am pretty happy with it except for the way the unit behaves when turning off with timers. I emailed Strong about it and Gavin from Strong replied that in over a year of the product being on the market, I'm the first person to complain about it. Can I therefore urge everyone who agrees with me to email Strong and ask them to fix their software. I have summaried below what I see as the problem and the fix that I want:

At the moment when a timer is set to turn off when finished it will do so even if there is another recording happening at the same time. I want the unit to stay on if there is another recording happening and only turn off if a recording is set to do so when there is no other recording going on - it doesn't need to display warnings or anything, just stay on. Given that the unit will warn me if I try to turn it off manually when there is a recording going on, I think that its curent behaviour is a design flaw but Gavin from Strong insists what I'm asking for is a feature request.

The other thing that I'd like - but it could be argued that it is a feature request - is if a timer is set to turn off when finished and there isn't another recording going on then display a warning message sayng that the unit is about to shut down and allow the user to abort the shut down (in case they happen to be watching something at the time). If the user doesn't respond within a given time frame then shut down.

And lastly, if the above were fixed (particularly the first one), have IceTV sheduled timers default to turning the machine off when finished (currently they are set to leave the machine on).

Again, can I urge people to email Strong so that they will understand that this is a real problem that they should fix. If you could then post to this forum that you have emailed Strong it would let others know how many of us support this change enough to hassle Strong about it.

Thanks,

Patrick 

mmnpkf

I decided to return the Strong since Strong have no interest in fixing their product and the feedback from others on other forums simply confirms what I had suspected. I bought the unit from The Good Guys and thankfully, I had no problem exchanging it for a different brand. Got a Topfield 2400, cost me $141 more than the Strong but at least it works!

All I can say is that if you are considering a Strong, don't â€" you will regret it.

Regards,

Patrick

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use