Strong SRT-5492

Started by j1c, October 23, 2009, 08:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j1c

Hi,

I purchased the newly released Strong SRT-5492 twin HD DVR today since it has so many brilliant features, and one of the selling points was a subscription to IceTV.  It was advertised on the packaging and by the sales staff at Betta Electrical, but when I got home and opened the box there was nothing inside about how to claim the subscription for IceTV.

The staff at Betta are chasing this up with Strong about how to do it, but surprisingly an email to the IceTV sales team revealed that the sales staff at Betta were being misleading and the box is not supported (but will be eventually).

Since this is actually advertised on the packaging, I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat and if I'm just unlucky for something to claim the subscription to be missing from the contents of the box.

Photos of the packaging containing IceTV are here:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5443/iphone006b.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3130/iphone007b.jpg

Hoping that this has a positive resolution, as the IceTV features look impressive.

tonymy01

Looks like you will have to chase it up with Strong directly also, as it is them that produced the packaging, is it documented in the manual at all?
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

GibboTV

Hi j1c,

How have you got on with sorting this out? I also have been looking at the Strong PVR that you purchased (but luckily for me, not purchased as yet), so I am interested in how you get on with this.

cheers!

Fester

Just sounds like misleading representation to me! How can they claim the unit to be ICETV/ epg + interactive when it is not?
Even the pdf brochure on their Australian website mentions ICETV.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Just a heads up on this one, Strong's engineers are currently working on the integration of IceTV's EPG and Interactive service for the Strong SRT-5495, we are getting confirmation now for the SRT-5492.

We do recommend keeping in touch with Strong to find out when the new firmware would be released with IceTV support. Once released people will then need to contact us with your serial number and we can provide you with activation details for your pre-paid membership.

UPDATE: This has been confirmed that the IceTV EPG and Interactive functionality will be on both the SRT-5492 and SRT-5495.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

j1c

Just a quick update.. I contacted Strong just before the end of the year and they said that this is still coming, and should be here in January.. They said keep checking the site, download the file to USB and update the firmware that way.. Nothing really new, but I was hoping this would be available before i went to the US next week :(

Is there any way to search the tv guide for shows > 7 days?

Also, and this is a little off-topic, but when recording from IceTV is it possible to set overrun buffers in case the show runs over?  I use it to record NBA, and I usually record 5 minutes early and 30+ minutes after the scheduled end when doing it manually, just in case the game goes to overtime/double overtime, etc.

prl

Quote from: j1c on January 04, 2010, 03:37:56 PM
Is there any way to search the tv guide for shows > 7 days?

Not if you mean "details like scheduled time, episode name or synopsis for shows scheduled more that 7 days away".

Quote from: j1c on January 04, 2010, 03:37:56 PM
Also, and this is a little off-topic, but when recording from IceTV is it possible to set overrun buffers in case the show runs over?  I use it to record NBA, and I usually record 5 minutes early and 30+ minutes after the scheduled end when doing it manually, just in case the game goes to overtime/double overtime, etc.

I think the Microsoft devices are the only ones where padding is controlled from IceTV. On other PVRs (and certainly on Beyonwiz & Topfield), it's done by using the PVRs' built-in padding capability, and limited to the facilities provided by the PVR (so pre-padding on Beyonwiz, but not AFAIK on Topfield)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

sharksaus

Hi All
The strong srt 5492 now has icetv capability
I am using it now and all seems good so far.
One thing I am not sure of is if it will adjust if a program runs over time.
it will be interesting to hear from anyone who could answer this.

dgaust

sharksaus

Quote from: sharksaus on January 25, 2010, 08:00:23 PM
Hi All
The strong srt 5492 now has icetv capability
I am using it now and all seems good so far.
One thing I am not sure of is if it will adjust if a program runs over time.
it will be interesting to hear from anyone who could answer this.

I have been using icetv for a little while now and am having some sound issues with playback of recorded shows.
The problem is intermitent with sound in the first few minutes of the recording comming and going
Im not sure if this is an icetv issue or with the strong srt5492.
has anyone else had the same sort of problem

prl

Quote from: sharksaus on February 01, 2010, 11:27:07 AM
I have been using icetv for a little while now and am having some sound issues with playback of recorded shows.
The problem is intermitent with sound in the first few minutes of the recording comming and going
Im not sure if this is an icetv issue or with the strong srt5492.
has anyone else had the same sort of problem
I don't recall anyone posting anything like this for Beyonwiz. I've been using IceTV on Beyonwiz DP-S1 and DP-H1 for 2+ years, and wheile it hasn't always been plain sailing, I've never had problems with sound due to IceTV. I think the answer is likely to be an "IceTV on the SRT-5492" problem.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

cblatti

I haven't had this issue yet with mine (I just checked some recordings), the only issue I'm having is when IceTV is activated I have every 60 seconds sound drop outs for about 1/2 a second or less. If I disable IceTV these drop outs disappear. No idea what that is...

Sue

I have just purchased a strong 5492 HDD "box" but I am not sure if I have connected it correctly as when i turn the box off or to standby I loose the signal on the TV.  The retailer assures me that I should be able to do this.

I have connected the Ariel to the input no. 13 and connected the  TV (HD with own tuner) via out no. 16.  I have then connected the other two with the loop cable.(14 & 15)  service manual page  7.

I can copy etc but if I turn off the strong box, my TV looses the signal. 

Can I connect 13 to Ariel, 14 to TV and loop 14 + 16  and still record 2 or 3 programs ?

As you can tell I am a novice and lost in a world of modern technology.

Sue

prl

Quote from: Sue on February 06, 2010, 06:16:52 PM
I can copy etc but if I turn off the strong box, my TV looses the signal. 
Turned completely off at the mains? Many PVRs and STBs must be at least in standby, not switched off at the mains for the antenna feedthrough to other devices to work.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Sue

Thanks Peter.

Is the strong meant to be used as a set top box and therefore on all the time or should i be able to watch my TV in TV mode? 

And yes with my strong in standby mode...blue light showing...I can not watch the TV in TV mode. 

Are there any other settings that I may have missed or that I set incorrectly?

Sue