So quiet in here

Started by IceFragmatic, October 22, 2009, 03:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IceFragmatic

LOL, it is so quiet in here. Can even hear the crickets chirping. Now if only I can find the IceTV interactive software so I can get back to a full IceTV service.

so_bored8008

DAMN IT! I was gonna make a post like that....but i thought....noooooooooooo..... the moderators wouldn't like someone talking crap in their shiny new forum....

So anyways..... When's the beta for Interactive on Windows7 being released? MAYBE TODAY?!?!?!? Possible tomorrow? I don't mind when it is as long as i get access to it right now. You can all suffer as I use my shiny new interactive and tall everyone how cool it is on the forums....

Speaking of Windows7.......there's something about the desktop that just doesn't seem right to me.....I think it's the items on the task bar when you have stuff open.....i dunno....just seems like it isn't very intuitive.

Oh and isn't it weird that ICE has opened this forum without posting anything in it? It's almost like their asking us to come in here and spam it up with our uninformed nonsense. But I suppose it's better to have all the useless crap in here rather than having it spread around all the other forums....

I keep coming back every 15mins to check if ICE have posted anything but they still haven't >.<

RufusBoy

It's October 23. The full version of Windows 7 (RTM) has been available since the last week of July. That 3 months - 13 Weeks. Now the RTM is on the shelves and on shipping PC's. When are we likely to see the FULL Windows 7 compatibility with IceTV? Yes, I know you want to get the bugs out, but everyone else out there have been working hard since July when they gained access to the full retail version of windows 7. The Media Centre plugin "My Movies" is now ready to go, today! They have been working hard the last three months testing it on the RTM, making sure it all worked well. What has IceTV been doing these last three months? There is no excuse, whatsoever, for any software maker of hardware manufacture to not have their programs upgrades and drives complete, ready, and fully compatible as of the 22nd.

Then I get this:

Quote from: dgaust on October 23, 2009, 10:12:28 AM
Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AM
It's October 23. The full version of Windows 7 (RTM) has been available since the last week of July.

To a limited subset of subscribers/technical people for evaluation and testing purposed. Not the general public, nor for production usage. It was released to the public today.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMThat 3 months - 13 Weeks.

And IceTV have been working towards the final version since that time.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMNow the RTM is on the shelves and on shipping PC's. When are we likely to see the FULL Windows 7 compatibility with IceTV? Yes, I know you want to get the bugs out, but everyone else out there have been working hard since July when they gained access to the full retail version of windows 7.

Are you intimating that IceTV haven't? They have a workable solution at the moment, and a full interactive client soon to be released.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMThe Media Centre plugin "My Movies" is now ready to go, today! They have been working hard the last three months testing it on the RTM, making sure it all worked well.

One of the worst examples you could have used... ever. MyMovies 3.0 has been in development since 2007 with a MCML version promised since early 2008. It has taken until the release of Windows 7 (one complete iteration of the current development environment was skipped) for them to release it.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMWhat has IceTV been doing these last three months? There is no excuse, whatsoever, for any software maker of hardware manufacture to not have their programs upgrades and drives complete, ready, and fully compatible as of the 22nd.

See all the posts in this forum for evidence of what they've been doing. They support a lot more devices that Windows7.

You'll also find that there are many hardware manufacturers who won't release windows7 drivers for a while yet, despite Windows 7 being available for testing.

People need to relax and stop being so 'excitable'

All very good and well spun explanations, except that it ignores the reality of the situation:

Any developer who wanted a time limited copy, could get one from Microsoft since July. I think IceTV falls into this category, do you?

Despite the poor development cycle, My Movies HAS been updated and I've already installed it onto Windows 7, with it operating perfectly.

Yes, there are plenty of devices that won't have their driver updates for a while, but the important ones, like nVidia and ATI, have updated.

The REALITY of the situation, is that EVERYTHING it running great on my Windows 7 Media Centre, with full, and updated versions.... except for IceTV.

So keep on spinning away with your wonderfull excuses, and who knows maybe some people might actually fall for it, but for those living in reality, and looking at out running systems seeing IceTV as the only piece of software not working fully, will see what you say for the rubbish that it is.

Oh, and one more subtle difference while I remember it:

My Movies is a free application, so if it doesn't work quite right, I'd forgive them. Thing is, it does work right, right now, and is fully compatible with Windows 7. Damm good job for something they aren't charging me for.

IceTV I pay a rather hefty amount of money for. It's a paid application, and yet despite this they still couldn't get a 100% feature complete version out by the 22nd of October.

My Epson printer drivers: Windows 7 support. Total Media Theater: Windows 7 Compatible fully certified.

This is what happened waaaay back with Windows Vista. Vista was a dog of an O/S, but what made it worse was that NOTHING was ready when it shipped. There were PC's being sold with Beta versions of the display drivers. This time round, Microsoft went WWAAYYYYYY out of their way to ensure that everything anyone needed to be ready by the 22nd, they got it, and NO COST. You need software, here you go. You need to query a Microsoft developer about a piece of integration, you got it. Microsoft wasn't going to stuff this up a second time round, and as a result the great deal and majority of software and hardware is certified and ready to go. So much so that of all the software I use, I am YET to encounter something that isn't ready...well....1 thing that is!! There is no excuse for this, not with all the help Microsoft was providing to developers. We are talking 3 months, with heaps of users only too happy to assist in beta testing, and yet they still can't pull it together. This is symptomatic of ICETV however. How often do we need to clear the recording cache because interactive won't work? One way of looking at it is that the reason why interactive isn't working for 7, is that it hasn't ever really worked at all!!

Daniel Drysdale at IceTV

The reason we are so quiet on the status of Interactive for Win7 is that we are working literally around the clock to get it ready for use.

We were really hoping to have it done for the launch yesterday but unfortunately we ran into some issues that are taking time to resolve.

The reality of the situation for us is that the Interactive Client needs access to areas of Win7 that no other app requires, the APIs are poorly documented and buggy and the "support" from Microsoft on these APIs is totally non-existent, even contacts we have within the division that develops the Media Centre software have been unwilling or unable to provide any information.

We appreciate the patience and support of our subscribers and we want to assure you all that Win7 is our Top priority and is very close to a Beta release.
Cheers,

Dan
Software Manager @ IceTV

Justin123

Thankyou for you explanation, and update. Please keep us informed how this progresses - I suspect a lot of people on here are thinking of installing Windows 7 this weekend, and would like IcetV to be up and running.

On another note, would it be possible to get IceTV to run as a service? I find that from time to time, IceTV crashes out when I resume from standby, and can get very annoying.

OzRob

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 11:30:31 AM
It's October 23. The full version of Windows 7 (RTM) has been available since...

There's no need to spam the same message across multiple threads. Take a chill pill and calm down. Your grievance may be legitimate, but there's no need to go off like a junkyard dog at anyone who challenges it.

OzRob

@RufusBoy, check out the sticky at the top of this forum.

Poida

Oh RufusBoy, you are really such an important person. The vigour of your attack is soooooooo impressive.

Yep, that's sarcasm.

I would rather have a provider admit that there is still work to be done, and that errors have been found that caused them to NOT launch, than one that puts out clearly buggy software and then jambs their head in the sand and pretends nothing is wrong. Think M$ and Vista......

Well done IceTV for holding back until a fully functional product is deliverable. Thank you for having the corporate sense to actually give a toss about the frustration that you COULD have caused.

I'll be keeping my subscription. Less than $10 a month is not excessive in my book. If you don't like the service, cancel it.
Too much technology! My head hurts.