Curious as to when the retail version of IceTV will be available.

Started by Khtulu, October 18, 2009, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khtulu

Hey guys,

Just wondering when windows 7 friendly non beta version of IceTv will be available.  I'm not one for reading instructions clearly on how to get it to work and really want to change to windows 7 but not till I can install IceTv much the same as I do now for vista.

Thanks in advance

Khtulu

Really?  24 views and no one wants to give this one a crack?

tonymy01

ICETV is already "retailed".   I think your thread topic is not really worded correctly (although I guess being buried deep in the Windows 7 sub forum kind of explains what the topic might be about).   Isn't there an identical topic on this already?   You know normal readers view these, so all these views are from forum regulars that like to view every new post (I simply click on the "show unread posts since last visit" link, there aren't many posts a day to catch up on.   The only people who can possibly answer this are ICE I would expect, so the number of views bears little relevance to your question getting answered.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

so_bored8008

should be around the 22nd......when windows7 as released to the public properly. As far as i can tell ICE are using every last second to make the win7 EPG and interactive as bug free as possible. Sounds like a good idea to me.

OzRob

Quote from: Khtulu on October 19, 2009, 07:55:56 PM
Really?  24 views and no one wants to give this one a crack?

If you're referring to an 'official' installer/interactive application for Windows 7 (your title didn't make this clear) then IceTV has announced in another thread that it will release a beta version of this around when Windows 7 officially ships - which is tomorrow.

RufusBoy

It's October 23. The full version of Windows 7 (RTM) has been available since the last week of July. That 3 months - 13 Weeks. Now the RTM is on the shelves and on shipping PC's. When are we likely to see the FULL Windows 7 compatibility with IceTV? Yes, I know you want to get the bugs out, but everyone else out there have been working hard since July when they gained access to the full retail version of windows 7. The Media Centre plugin "My Movies" is now ready to go, today! They have been working hard the last three months testing it on the RTM, making sure it all worked well. What has IceTV been doing these last three months? There is no excuse, whatsoever, for any software maker of hardware manufacture to not have their programs upgrades and drives complete, ready, and fully compatible as of the 22nd.

dgaust

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AM
It's October 23. The full version of Windows 7 (RTM) has been available since the last week of July.

To a limited subset of subscribers/technical people for evaluation and testing purposed. Not the general public, nor for production usage. It was released to the public today.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMThat 3 months - 13 Weeks.

And IceTV have been working towards the final version since that time.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMNow the RTM is on the shelves and on shipping PC's. When are we likely to see the FULL Windows 7 compatibility with IceTV? Yes, I know you want to get the bugs out, but everyone else out there have been working hard since July when they gained access to the full retail version of windows 7.

Are you intimating that IceTV haven't? They have a workable solution at the moment, and a full interactive client soon to be released.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMThe Media Centre plugin "My Movies" is now ready to go, today! They have been working hard the last three months testing it on the RTM, making sure it all worked well.

One of the worst examples you could have used... ever. MyMovies 3.0 has been in development since 2007 with a MCML version promised since early 2008. It has taken until the release of Windows 7 (one complete iteration of the current development environment was skipped) for them to release it.

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 10:00:01 AMWhat has IceTV been doing these last three months? There is no excuse, whatsoever, for any software maker of hardware manufacture to not have their programs upgrades and drives complete, ready, and fully compatible as of the 22nd.

See all the posts in this forum for evidence of what they've been doing. They support a lot more devices that Windows7.

You'll also find that there are many hardware manufacturers who won't release windows7 drivers for a while yet, despite Windows 7 being available for testing.

People need to relax and stop being so 'excitable'

RufusBoy

All very good and well spun explanations, except that it ignores the reality of the situation:

Any developer who wanted a time limited copy, could get one from Microsoft since July. To make sure this is understood, this is the FULL version, Release To Manufacturing version, not a beta, not a release candidate, the SHIPPING version. I think IceTV falls into this category, do you? Microsoft has been bending over backwards to ensure any developer who needed help got it, so as to not have a repeat of the Vista disaster when nothing was ready the day it hit the shelves.

Despite the poor development cycle, My Movies HAS been updated and I've already installed it onto Windows 7, with it operating perfectly.

Yes, there are plenty of devices that won't have their driver updates for a while, but the important ones, like nVidia and ATI, have updated.

The REALITY of the situation, is that EVERYTHING it running great on my Windows 7 Media Centre, with full, and updated versions.... except for IceTV.

So keep on spinning away with your wonderfull excuses, and who knows maybe some people might actually fall for it, but for those living in reality, and looking at out running systems seeing IceTV as the only piece of software not working fully, will see what you say for the rubbish that it is.

RufusBoy

Oh, and one more subtle difference while I remember it:

My Movies is a free application, so if it doesn't work quite right, I'd forgive them. Thing is, it does work right, right now, and is fully compatible with Windows 7. Damm good job for something they aren't charging me for.

IceTV I pay a rather hefty amount of money for. It's a paid application, and yet despite this they still couldn't get a 100% feature complete version out by the 22nd of October.

I don't care that I can get a TV guide up on the screen. It's VERY easy to do this with free alternatives. (Green Button has HEAPS of info to do this). The reason I PAY MONEY for this IS the interactive feature - the very feature that all I can hope for maybe over the next few days is a BETA VERSION!! Oh, I hear what you are saying, that support soooooo many other devices, so basically I should just take it and like it? If I can't get interactive, there's no point paying anymore, and I won't bother paying anymore. I cancel, and check back in a year or two when they actually get their act together and bring out something that works. No wonder they have been trying so hard to get people to pay for a full year upfront, knowing so many are going to be rather annoyed when IceTV Interactive doesn't work on their shiny new Windows 7 PC.

dgaust

1. I don't work for IceTV, or have any relationship with IceTV other than as a user - let's just clarify that.

As for your specious arguments.

1. MyMovies works on Windows 7 because Windows 7 supports the same SDK as with Vista. MyMovies was in development for Vista, and once Windows 7 was available the UI was changed to suit. However, the main point is that what works on Vista will work on Windows 7.

2. The driver framework for Windows 7 is the same as Vistas. There have been very minor changes, but in the main what works in Vista works in Windows 7. In fact despite no windows 7 drivers for many peripherals being available, these peripherals still work in Windows 7 because you can use the Vista drivers. People I know still use the Vista Nvidia drivers because they work better in Windows 7 than the official Windows 7 ones.

3. The guide format changed significantly between Vista and Windows 7. The way the guide is loaded, the way you add remote recordings, even the very guide structure is significantly different between Windows 7 and Vista. These changes will have meant that a near complete rewrite of the way IceTV interactive works on Windows 7 will have almost certainly need to have been undertaken. Given the resources IceTV has at it's disposal, this would not be a 5 minute job.

The fact is IceTV have indicated that a version will be available very soon for testing is good news.

The good thing about me not working for IceTV, is that I can say how unreasonable you're being.

As for my movies being free. Yes it is, unless you want to use the advanced features which requires points (gained via donation or updating ridiculous amounts of data in the webservice).

RufusBoy

Very nice, and rather obvious points indeed. Except that plenty of software and drivers didn't fully support Windows 7, including Virus Protection, Email Spam filters, CD/DVD writers/creators, Video Card drivers and TV Tuner Decoders, to name but a few. Due to underlying Kernel changes, all there products required changes to work correctly on Windows 7. Guess what, the leading brands of virus makers have updated, Spam filters are updated, disk writers, video and tuner decoders, etc, etc, you get the point.

Yes, there are plenty of things that didn't require much or any changes, but far more did, because this ISN'T Windows Vista!! If nothing needed updating, then the Kernel would be exactly the same and this would be Vista SP3. The point is they DID make changes, big changes, and these big changes have required MOST driver and software makers to make changes. You know what the difference is? Most of these companies made the changes MONTHS ago, so support has already been there for months. So of course most aren't putting up new drivers today - the driver from August was already updated with full support!!

Now, let me make something very clear indeed. I actually wasn't annoyed to know IceTV wouldn't be ready. What pissed me off enough was people like yourself making excuses. I'm so sick of people like you making excuses. You'd do yourself well to get a job as a politician, maybe Health Minister? Then you could try you hand of explaining away why people are still waiting to get into a hospital.

Oh, and next time you try to use a BIG persons words, look them up first. Specious = "plausible but false". For My Movies to fit into this category, it would need to comply with the "false" part of specious reasoning. Point in fact, Specious, would be a very good description of your point that Vista drivers work on Windows 7, because the driver framework is the same. Plausible, but false!! nVidia and ATI have already stated as such.

Quote: "However, the main point is that what works on Vista will work on Windows 7". Plausible, but false! Virus protection worked on Vista, needed to be updated to Windows 7. This was also done months ago, updates already intergrated.

teon

Nevermind - I just had a big rant, but then found that they have posted an update on the staus... silly me :)

Justin123

I too would hope that we are kept better informed. I'm not to sure about the suggestion that Microsoft are being helpfull, but despiter this I would still hope that ICeTV not forget that it is here as a business taking peoples money, and as such has a duty to keep it's ongoing paying customers informed. Just a basic timeframe would be good, rather than the current open ended "it's coming soon". What worries me most is that what we are all waiting for is just a beta release - not the working version, so even once it turn up we may still be waiting months for a working version. This makes me feal very uneasy, as it feels like we are being used as the beta testers, and guess what, we pay ICEtv for the privaledge of beta testing their software.

dgaust

Quote from: RufusBoy on October 23, 2009, 11:54:06 AM
Very nice, and rather obvious points indeed. Except that plenty of software and drivers didn't fully support Windows 7, including Virus Protection, Email Spam filters, CD/DVD writers/creators, Video Card drivers and TV Tuner Decoders, to name but a few. Due to underlying Kernel changes, all there products required changes to work correctly on Windows 7. Guess what, the leading brands of virus makers have updated, Spam filters are updated, disk writers, video and tuner decoders, etc, etc, you get the point.

Yes, there are plenty of things that didn't require much or any changes, but far more did, because this ISN'T Windows Vista!! If nothing needed updating, then the Kernel would be exactly the same and this would be Vista SP3. The point is they DID make changes, big changes, and these big changes have required MOST driver and software makers to make changes. You know what the difference is? Most of these companies made the changes MONTHS ago, so support has already been there for months. So of course most aren't putting up new drivers today - the driver from August was already updated with full support!!

Now, let me make something very clear indeed. I actually wasn't annoyed to know IceTV wouldn't be ready. What pissed me off enough was people like yourself making excuses. I'm so sick of people like you making excuses. You'd do yourself well to get a job as a politician, maybe Health Minister? Then you could try you hand of explaining away why people are still waiting to get into a hospital.

Oh, and next time you try to use a BIG persons words, look them up first. Specious = "plausible but false". For My Movies to fit into this category, it would need to comply with the "false" part of specious reasoning. Point in fact, Specious, would be a very good description of your point that Vista drivers work on Windows 7, because the driver framework is the same. Plausible, but false!! nVidia and ATI have already stated as such.

Quote: "However, the main point is that what works on Vista will work on Windows 7". Plausible, but false! Virus protection worked on Vista, needed to be updated to Windows 7. This was also done months ago, updates already intergrated.

Given your 6 posts to date have all been about the same issue, and incredibly misinformed, I bet you feel like a right dill now that the IceTV Interactive has been released.

It's alright, once you get your knickers out of that knot you might be able to test it.