Legal challenge from Nine Network

Started by tick007, May 31, 2006, 05:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tick007

Just regarding the following announcement: http://www.icetv.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=209.0

I'm sure all your subscribers wish you the best with this court case (I do!  :)).  I'm assuming it's just PBL strategy to either get rid of you or soften you up for a buyout since they now see their future in online services (and gambling) and not broadcasting.  They're probably looking at launching/running their own Internet driven EPG service in the not too distant future.

In any case, just a question on behalf of those pondering whether to participate in the float: if in the October hearing the case gets thrown out as essentially frivolous from Nine, do you have recourse to claim legal costs from them?  It would be a shame (and a little concerning) that a significant portion of your capital raising could be eroded over the next year/s defending this case, even if you are ultimately successful.  I look forward to any thoughts on this...

Anyway, best of luck again!

pvogel

The answer is "yes" we expect costs to be awarded against Nine. We may also seek further damages, for example if their action has damaged the float. This will be dependent on legal advice in coming weeks.

Peter

BJReplay

Good luck with this.  You'd think they'd chase the nineMSN screen scrapers instead.  Oh, that's right, no assets worth chasing.

At least you can sue your legal advisers if you don't triumph.

pvogel

Note also that even if we lose (which would be astonishing) it would not be catastrophic.  The business does not stand or fall on this at all.

Peter

Tax_Invoice

Best of luck with this guys!

Hopefully it's all a load of hot air.

Don't know what we'd do without you.

kav1050

Any news on what happend or is happening with the challange :question

pvogel

No news - we don't expect anything to happen before October at the earliest.

Peter

dJOS

Nein dont deserve to win, it's closed minded stupidity on their (and the other comercial stations) part (like this lawsuit) that is to blame for the total mess that is Australian TV!

eg:

• Now & Next only EPG that isn't even accurate! (thank you ICE for your "real" EPG although it wont help folk with non-pvr digital stb's/tv's)
  • 576p = HD - what a joke!!!
  • TV programs always finish 3-7mins late and more
  • they edit (and badly) TV shows to cram in more adds!
  • VPG's waste scarce bandwidth that could be used to provide DD5.1 or better PQ
  • no DD5.1 on SDTV (and stuff all on HDTV)

I could go on but I suspect im preaching to the choir.  :P

ICE, I hope you win a huge damage payout from Nein!  ;D
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

aswigon

Nice picture.

Nothing like a bit of bullying to try and take out the little guy.

machunter46

When in October does this case get heard??

Mantorok

mtb

Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

impact

So after a week of opening statements, arguments, fingers pointing, yelling, and other verbal abuse.... (Well I guess no one shook hands and thanked each other in any of the days...)

Any comments from Icetv about the proceedings - and I realise of course no comments on details etc... But it might be nice for all the users here to have a little update like;

Arguments completed / closing statements made / now await the judge to make a decision and comments which may take 30 or 60 or 90 days....

philzgr8

Here is a testament to the hypocrisy of Nine in this link to a post at Aust Media Centre Community which in turn highlights an article on MSN espousing the wonders of MCE... including its EPG!

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/australian-tv-guide/14552-nine-msn-icetv.html