Wrong channel being recorded

Started by grahford, September 18, 2009, 09:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grahford

What should I be checking when all of a sudden the wrong channel is being recorded?

I'm trying to record Big Bang Theory on Go!, but it's recording 7HD instead.  It was working fine till the last week.

When I look in the timer schedule on my topfield 7100 it is very clearly setting itself up to record the wrong channel.

I've looked at the LCN settings on the account page and both 7 and Go! are set to 'all' in the lcn column.  I tried setting Go! it to 88, which is what the channel is here, deleting the timers and resending but it still went to 7.

When I look at the lcn mapping on the device, Go! is set to QLD regional Go!, (something like that).

To the best of my knowledge I have not changed anything on the device or in my account for the last few weeks.

The problem is I don't really understand LCN's so I'm not sure what else I should be doing.

prl

Quote from: grahford on September 18, 2009, 09:42:55 AM
The problem is I don't really understand LCN's so I'm not sure what else I should be doing.

In analog TV, only one program is transmitted in a broadcast channel. The channel numbering in analog refers directly to a range of frequencies that is allocated to a single broadcaster in a reception region. For TV, a channel occupies a 7MHz range. For example, channel 9 occupies the frequency range 195-202 MHz. By "channel 9", I mean the broadcast channel, not the broadcaster Nine. In the capitals, Nine's main transmitter is in fact on channel 9, but Nine doesn't transmit on channel 9 from all its transmitters. For example, in Sydney, Nine transmits on channel 9 from the TCN9 tower in Artarmon, but also on channel 52 from King's Cross and channel 63 from Manly.

In digital TV, life gets more complicated. Digital TV packs information into the signal more efficiently, so each broadcast channel can carry several programs at once. The same broadcast channel numbering scheme is used for both analog and digital TV. The Logical Channel Numbers (LCNs) are the numbering scheme for the digital "channels", and there are several LCNs tied to each broadcast channel. At the moment, all the programs for a single broadcaster, like the ABC's ABC1, ABC2, ABC HD, ABC DiG Radio and ABC DiG Jazz are all carried in a single broadcast channel, but each has its own LCN.

They can be thought of as being in some ways like the old analog TV channel numbers, even though the full story is a bit more complicated.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

grahford

My problem is I don't know what I should be doing with them on the box and with icetv?

The account page has the options of disabled-all-and then some numbers for each.  What am I supposed to do with them?  I know Go! is on 88.  Do I set 88 on the account page for Go!?  If I do that, is the LCN mapping for Go! on my device redundant and should be deleted?  Do I set on both?

I don't even know if my problem is even related to LCN mappings.  Should I reset my device, rescan and then resend all the timers?  Or is that just a waste of time?

prl

Quote from: grahford on September 18, 2009, 11:23:31 AM
My problem is I don't know what I should be doing with them on the box and with icetv?

The account page has the options of disabled-all-and then some numbers for each.  What am I supposed to do with them?  I know Go! is on 88.  Do I set 88 on the account page for Go!?  If I do that, is the LCN mapping for Go! on my device redundant and should be deleted?  Do I set on both?

I don't even know if my problem is even related to LCN mappings.  Should I reset my device, rescan and then resend all the timers?  Or is that just a waste of time?
Have you done reset and rescan since GO! started broadcasting? If not, it may be worth a try. In some areas the way Nine handled the introduction of GO! appears to have caused problems on a number of PVRs, not just Topfields. I can't help much on the 7100, I don't own one.

If you're receiving WIN rather than Nine, then the mapping of Go! to Queensland regional Go! should be correct, and the LCN for GO! should be 88. What is the Topfield mapping for 7 HD on your 7100? Perhaps the problem is with 7 HD, not GO!.

I just run with "All" on all my LCN options in my IceTV account page, but that's for a Beyonwiz, not a Topfield.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grahford

Quote from: prl on September 18, 2009, 11:56:07 AM
Have you done reset and rescan since GO! started broadcasting? If not, it may be worth a try. In some areas the way Nine handled the introduction of GO! appears to have caused problems on a number of PVRs, not just Topfields. I can't help much on the 7100, I don't own one.

If you're receiving WIN rather than Nine, then the mapping of Go! to Queensland regional Go! should be correct, and the LCN for GO! should be 88. What is the Topfield mapping for 7 HD on your 7100? Perhaps the problem is with 7 HD, not GO!.

I just run with "All" on all my LCN options in my IceTV account page, but that's for a Beyonwiz, not a Topfield.

Yes to the rescan.  Until last week it was all working fine.

I'm at work at the moment so I can't check the exact wording, but when I looked at the lcn mapping last night nothing jumped out as being incorrect.  From memory the lcn mapping screen wasn't displaying a number on the map side, just the channel name, eg Queensland Regional Go!.  So when I went into the screen it looked something like this
88 Go!.....QLD Reg Go!

I'll double check tonight.

grahford

I think I've found it.  There was another LCN setup page under the EPG setup page (that's 3 places to set something to do with lcns).  This one had the wrong LCN number in it.  Just waiting for everything to resync again.

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

grahford

Nah.  It's all mucked up and not recording anything now  :)

The extra setup screen had 2 entries for One HD and two entries for GO!.  Each had a choice of two numbers.  For go I set both to 88, which is what the channel is here.

edit* Working now after a full nuke and re-setup.  The extra LCN screen wasn't accessible this time round.