Topfield TRF-2400 Set Up

Started by keichan56, August 29, 2009, 11:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keichan56

Just got a 2400....looks great so far, but having a few issues with the EPG (and the Topfield manual).

Setup:

1. In the setup, there is a setting for Active/Passive standby...I had hoped this would mean my PVR could receive recording requests while turned off, but according to Topfield support, this is to supply (Active) or not (Passive) power for the Antenna pass through. Apparently sometimes in passive mode the system (can) weaken the signal pass through. Not yet tested...

2. In IceLink, I now have two devices, Toppy (my original setup through the IceTV web site) and iPhone (seems to have got automatically set up somehow. So far I don't seem to be able to send a reservation from my iPhone to the PVR...and now in setup I have two devices/profiles to choose from. Anyone out there figured all this out yet (I am still trying combinations).

I'd like to start a 2400 discussion branch...are there many others out there with 2400's that could contribute?

Keith

timotsc

I too have just purchased today a TRF2400 and am wondering if I can add to my existing ICE account the 3 months ICE subscription 'free gift' that came in the box.
Anyone know how?

tonymy01

Yep, I haven't bought a HD Toppy but do know those ICE vouchers can be used to top up your existing account, because I did it with my 3month voucher that came with the Beyonwiz.
I think you two are the first to post on the ICE forums with these Toppies, so you won't be able to find a whole lot of info yet, they have only just started appearing on shelves!
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

timotsc

I just tried Ice interactive after setting up the Toppy to work with Ice (EPG downloads to the Toppy properly now, It took me by surprise actually as I have the Topfield 5000PVRT and was expecting to have to connect the PC to it and send the EPG) but it didn't set the recordings I trialed just now.
Not sure if this has issues ATM or if I failed to do something.

tonymy01

how long did you wait? The beyonwiz shows a status window that shows time to next poll, as ice restricts polling to something like once every 30mins.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

timotsc

Well I've spoken too soon as I now don't have a functional EPG and Interactive still doesn't work.
Thinking through the history of events I'm wondering if the action of setting timers from ICE Interactive was what ‘killed’ the EPG.

I just had a look at the web interface on the 2400 as well as trying some FTP transfers. It was a surprise to me the web interface doesn’t have an EPG section, not that they say it does but I was fully expecting to be able to set recordings that way for some reason. It also really doesn’t contain much of interest to me (that can’t be done more reliably using FTP) but maybe it can be built on with future firmware upgrades.

I tried  transferring some DIVX files through the web interface but it stopped part way through. After several attempts I gave up and tried FTP using WSFTP. WSFTP reported files sent through at just over 8 Mbps from a Dlink NAS on my LAN.

Also tried connecting an unpowered external laptop H/D (has a dual USB cable) but it didn’t pick it up. Haven’t got a plug pack to power it with to see if lack of power is the issue.

timotsc

Looking at the Topfield Web site (http://www.itopfield.com.au/aus/product/detail.asp?idx=242) I can see a firmware revision to be downloaded there http://www.topfield.co.kr/include/download.asp?dn_dir=1&fname=TRF-2400-32020-2009Aug19.tfd but it looks pretty well like the version number that came with mine.

EG I have Application version - TEST-BCPF 1.04.00 and this Topfield web site one is listed as Application Version: TF-BCPF 1.04.00.

Still trying to get the EPG working with ICE but no luck so far. Am I the only one with no ICE EPG on A TRF2400?

timotsc

Looks like I am the only one with a TRF2400 here. ;)

I have the ICE EPG working now after installing the new firmware as mentioned in the last post. ICE Interactive still won't set timers though.

For the record, following is information I haven't seen documented about this Topfield/ICE interaction but I believe to be true after talking with ICE staff:

• It should be updating the guide once per hour and also re-downloading the entire guide once per day.

• Put the Topfield into standby and then back on as this forces the PVR to try and re-download the guide again.

I believe they need to add more info so the user can see what’s going on in its interaction with ICE, be able to force a guide download without turning off/on the PVR  and also be able to diagnose issues EG ping ICE from the PVR. (however I do get the message ‘Success to get Device type’ after setting ICE account data on the PVR)
    I'd also like to be able to add proxy info on the PVR as I figure (but could be wrong) ICE services wouldn't work in a network that requires a proxy.

sladey

I have a trf-2400 which originally came with the 1.03.00 firmware version.  The epg worked with this version but downloading recordings scheduled via interactive was not reliable.  For example it downloaded an initial set of "reservations" (as the toppy calls them) and then didn't download any more.  Once I upgraded to the 1.04.00 f/w thing started behaving more reliably.  I got epg and reservations for the next 5 days (the advertised time into the future that reservations are sent).

12 hours later after having the toppy in standby overnight epg is not being fetched.  And now a couple of hours later after going to standy and back on again I have epg.   So upshot is all seems well at the moment but I will need to see it work relaibly for a week before I am fully convinced.  ice tv support and topfield suppor have been great.

I love the trf-2400 btw.  I had a 5000 masterpiece for 5 years and the upgrade has been worth it so far. 

vincent

Okay like a few I have been running a Toppy 5000 and have just got the TRF2400.  I have now got timers and EPG to the unit and have it working.
Show padding - without this it is worthless.  Can someone please explain how I pad automatically.  Otherwise I will continue to have to use the 5000 - TV stations do not stick to a schedule.
After using TEDS+ for years I am not finding the interative ice not that great.  I like all the feature of TEDS, so much more flexible to ensure you only record the right shows and understand what shows are being missed due to clashes.
Will keep playing and hopefully record some shows.

timotsc

So I read from what you are saying that you were possibly expecting the guide and timers to download with the PVR in standby. Interesting!
I wish there was more documentation on this stuff.

I too have the TF5000PVRT still in use and find it's useful having both PVR's working side by side. (remotes don't clash which is good)
My dream, would be a 3 or even 4 tuner Toppy PVR, be able to see the full guide from the PVR Web interface and set timers that way. And also be able to watch either live shows or recording from the web interface.

Quote from: sladey on September 05, 2009, 05:01:02 PM
Snip
12 hours later after having the toppy in standby overnight epg is not being fetched. 

Snip

I love the trf-2400 btw.  I had a 5000 masterpiece for 5 years and the upgrade has been worth it so far. 

vincent

Has information on how offen we can expect the 2400 to poll the ice site for timers and updated EPG been released.  Again would be nice if we had some information from itopfield or a menu feature.
As I am running both units I have been turning off the 2400 (put in standby) to see if it will turn on/off as it should for timers.

sladey

An update on my situation...

I am on the latest firmware - 1.04.00

I am having two issues.  Firstly epg data is only being fetched when I turn the toppy off then on.  This is no too much of a drama since it fetches 5-7 days.  According to icetv support the toppy should be fetching epg data hourly (actually I have heard every 30mins from the icetv support guys too).  I am no longer leaving the toppy in standby.

The second (more important) issue is that reservations are not being fetched from icetv and loaded into the toppy.  This is the issue I am pursuing more vigorously with icetv support.

keichan56

Some notes about EPG's missing, and recordings not getting to the 2400.

I have had issues with the guide not updating, and recordings (from the IceTV web site and iPhone app) not arriving in my Toppy...the only way I've been able to get it going again was to do a restore to factory settings, then set up LAN, IceLink etc all over again (last time I did a save settings just after this). Prior to this, scheduling was hit and miss (after a power cut of 2 hours)...but this is the second time I've had to restore and re setup...but for now it's working again (at least for the last two days).

My setup uses static IP to my router, uses the adsl modem/router as the Toppy's gateway and first DNS, with the router's first DNS entry set up as the Toppy's second DNS entry.

So far so good...but it seems recording from the iPhone (IceTV) app is not all that reliable. Will update this in about a week.

Keith

antc

Hey all.  I too have just upgraded from a 5000 to the 2400 and am impressed so far.  Just a question though, how do you all have it connected to your icebox?  At the moment Ive got it connected by ethernet cable, and not usb, but was on the icetv website and it cant fetch.  Does it have to be connected by usb as well?