Windows 7 Indexing

Started by asummerf, August 20, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asummerf

Is anyone else having problems with the index and not being able to find entries by search.

I had this after the initial setup and performed a rebuild through the control panel.  This fixed things for a while but I noticed that the search was failing again the other day.

I have edited the ice tv batch file and added "net stop wsearch" before and a "net start wsearch" after the loadmxf program to see if this helps in any way.

Any other suggestions?

Adam

Russell at IceTV

This tip from the first Readme file in this board might help:

Tip: Searching in Media Center
After loading new guide data, it may take some time before Windows indexes everything. Until that happens, searching in Media Center by Title or Keyword may not find what you want. You can either wait for Windows to re-index everything on its own schedule, or you can force it to re-index everything immediately:

• In Windows 7, go to Start / Control Panel / All Control Panel Items / Indexing Options.
  • You should see "Windows Media Center" in the list of "Included Locations".
  • Click Advanced, then click Rebuild, then click OK.  This will rebuild the index and include all the latest guide data.
  • When it says "Indexing complete" at the top, click Close, and then searching in Media Center should include all the latest data.

Russell

CainDavidson

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on August 21, 2009, 01:50:52 AM
This tip from the first Readme file in this board might help:

Tip: Searching in Media Center
After loading new guide data, it may take some time before Windows indexes everything. Until that happens, searching in Media Center by Title or Keyword may not find what you want. You can either wait for Windows to re-index everything on its own schedule, or you can force it to re-index everything immediately:

• In Windows 7, go to Start / Control Panel / All Control Panel Items / Indexing Options.
  • You should see "Windows Media Center" in the list of "Included Locations".
  • Click Advanced, then click Rebuild, then click OK.  This will rebuild the index and include all the latest guide data.
  • When it says "Indexing complete" at the top, click Close, and then searching in Media Center should include all the latest data.

Russell

I am having this problem also. A manual index rebuild fixes it for a while but as new guide data is added it doesn't seem to be indexed automatically. Are you suggesting running a manual rebuild after every guide fetch??

Russell at IceTV

I would have thought that it would rebuild the index automatically every once in a while, since I think that's generally how the search indexing works.  I wonder if maybe your indexing service isn't running?

You can check by going to Start / Control Panel / System and Security / Administrative Tools / Services.  Then check the entry for "Windows Search".  It should be set to a Startup Type of "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and the Status should be "Started".

You can also check the Event Viewer to see if that service is running occasionally.  Go to Start / Control Panel / System and Security / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer.  Then open "Windows Logs" and click on "Application".  Look for entries where the Source is "Search".  You should see quite a few entries where the indexing service starts and stops.

We'll try a test here also and see if our test machine is rebuilding the index automatically.

Russell

asummerf

Russell,

I can report that stopping and restarting the indexing service had no impact.

For a couple of days I could not search for "Junkyard Wars" and then it fixed itself.

It would be so much easier if you could force a rebuild after loading the new guide, but i have been unable to locate a way to do this.

Adam

CainDavidson

I have confirmed the indexing service is running and searching does eventually work, like 2-3 days after the data has been added. It's not really a big deal as I mostly use search to initially set up my series recordings and then rarely use it. I don't remember having any trouble with vista but mayby 7 is a lot more responsive becouse background services have very low priority. 

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: asummerf on September 03, 2009, 10:52:54 AM
It would be so much easier if you could force a rebuild after loading the new guide, but i have been unable to locate a way to do this.

Yeah, I think there should be a way to do that.  I found one reference to some kind of notification system in Windows, where a program could send a message somehow that the data had changed, and that the index for it should be rebuilt.  But I haven't yet found exactly how to do that.  We'll keep looking for something...

Russell

dgaust

You could run the ReindexSearchRoot task which will force a reindex of the guide database. It does say the mediacentre needs to be closed in order to run it, I'm not sure of the consequences if it's run while 7MC is open.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd776338.aspx#reindexing_guide_data_after_load_new_guide_data__ykic

You could add a line to the end of the batch file that read something like

C:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /run /tn ReindexSearchRoot

It should then run the reindex task at the end of every guide upload.

note: I haven't tried to see if the above command would work, but in theory it should.

asummerf

The scheduled task runs the following command...

C:\Windows\ehome\ehPrivJob.exe /DoReindexSearchRoot

I have added this to the batch file and will see how it goes...

Adam

dgaust

Don't run the command line, run the task. I believe the task runs with different privileges to the local user (uses the System Account) which is required for it to work.

gleggate

You aren't alone with this problem. For some reason the index doesn't rebuild automatically and appears to need to be updated manually. Very strange and a bit frustrating. Hoping this is fixed in RTM version of Windows7. I have had this problem in bother the RC 7100 and RC7127 build's.

asummerf

Quote from: gleggate on September 15, 2009, 11:49:10 AM
Hoping this is fixed in RTM version of Windows7. I have had this problem in bother the RC 7100 and RC7127 build's.

I hate to tell you but I am running the RTM version and the problem is there.  I am testing the fix detailed a few posts earlier in this thread - so far so good.

Adam

dgaust

Russell,

You might be interested in this post from MikeHayton in regards to the indexing of new guide data.

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: dgaust on October 20, 2009, 08:34:56 AM
Russell,

You might be interested in this post from MikeHayton in regards to the indexing of new guide data.

Thanks for that.  When our Win7 client loads new guide data, it triggers a re-indexing of the data in Media Center, and the new information appears in searches a few seconds later.  Seems to work pretty well.

We're in the final alpha testing phases now -- a public beta release will be Real Soon Now.

Russell

amandaandjustin

Russell,

Just curious, how are you dealing with the initial burst of inband data when initially setting up in Windows 7? I've never been able to avoid it all together (i.e. can't choose to disable inband fast enough) & end up having 7-10 days of it on some channels before the IceTV data picks up after it. It's particularly noticeable on channel 9 where they put a copyright message in their descriptions.

It's a problem because series recordings set up based on the inband data are likely to fail after the IceTV data kicks in during the second week (because the inband data naming has no convention & may vary from the IceTV logical naming).

Thanks,

Justin