Series now recording both SD and HD

Started by dion, July 27, 2009, 06:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dion

Hi guys,

I have been using IceTV with media center for ages (since 2006), but recently the way my media center handles shows that are on an SD and HD channel has changed.

I should start by saying that I set my recording defaults to "any channel", (I do this to pick up shows that are sometimes shown in HD and other times not)

An example of how this has changed is Double Take on 7 and 7HD.

Previously, once I set this as a series to record it would record either the showing on 7 or the showing on 7HD, and I could go into the guide and change it between SD and HD as I wanted. Now that same series will record both showings. It does not seem to realise that they are exactly the same show.

Off the top of my head this happening to Double Take, TV Burp, Iron Chef America & Food Investigators. But other shows like Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters still behave the old way (the way I like it!).

Any help would be great.

Regards, Dion.

tonymy01

You chose "For All Channels" rather than "For this channel only" when you setup the series record probably.   The only way from ICE to achieve a series record on one rather than the other without knowing the channel for sure it may end up on is to use keyword recordings rather than series and choose the "HD/SD" preference.   I think this all goes soon as ICE introduces the new interactive they have been promising for ages, and we finally get what we have all been begging for: better handling of SD vs HD for series recordings.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

dion

you're right, I do set my recordings for all channels, but I have always done this. It is only recently that it has started to record both SD and HD versions.

I have done a little more reading around here and I am starting to think that it may have to do with the changes mentioned here -

http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=1376.0

would anyone from iceTV be able to confirm this?

dion

An update -

I can confirm that this is happening for all series recordings for shows that do not have episode titles eg TV Burp, Double Take.

This is now causing me to miss recordings because if I set a series to record it will now use 2 tuners (one for the SD version and one for the HD version). This results in a conflict for anything else set to record at the same time.

I don’t understand why the guide data from IceTV has changed so that "episodic" shows on SD and HD at the same time are not identified as the same episode.

Some info from the IceTV guys would be great.

Russell at IceTV

Hi, sorry for the problem you're having with this.

Yes, you're right, it's happening because of the way we recently changed the guide data for MCE, to fix a problem with repeat showings.

For shows like Double Take that don't have episodes, we used to use the same ID number for all showings in the guide.  This caused lots of problems and MCE had trouble knowing if it was a repeat or not, and whether or not it should record it.  We changed our guide to work like MCE wants things to work, which is to use different ID numbers for each showing, and that fixed the problems a lot of people were having.  One side effect of this however, is the problem you're seeing, where it'll record the same show on two different channels, because it sees them as different shows.  Although it's probably not what you want, I believe this is actually how it's supposed to work.  For example, even an MCE machine in the USA, using official Microsoft guide data, will record every showing of a news program if the series recording is setup to record on every channel.  Even though it's the same news program on two channels, it'll record them both.

So I'm afraid this might be a situation where the "bug" we had before was actually a "feature" for you.  My only suggestion is to change the series recording to be on a specific channel.  It's probably not what you want to do, but I think it's the way MCE wants things done.  Sorry about that...

Russell

dion

Hi Russell,

thanks for the response. That it explains what I am seeing on my media center. The only reason I set my recordings for all channels is because I like to record the HD version of a show. Unfortunately I cannot always rely on the show being broadcast on the HD channel.

That said, the prefer HD stuff you have recently added to interactive should solve these issues for me. I'll give it a try over the next few days.

Regards,
Dion