New Interactive

Started by Trial_Master, July 29, 2009, 08:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: pvogel on July 30, 2009, 09:05:37 AM
What doe sit mean when I get the yellow triangle icon which says "series recording failure" when I hover over it? i.e. what causes a series recording to fail?

Unfortunately this is a bit of a problem, because a failure means it failed on the device, not in the scheduling engine on our server.  The client program on the recorder doesn't send us a reason for the failure, so we're not able to display a good reason why it failed (but it's something we're working on for the future).  Your best bet is to look on the recorder itself and see if you can find a reason why it wasn't recorded.  For example, Vista's Media Center has a History page if you go to Recorded TV / View Scheduled / History.

Russell

Trial_Master

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 30, 2009, 09:38:50 AM
Quote from: Trial_Master on July 29, 2009, 11:14:24 AM
Cleared the browser cache and cookies no difference. Everything is displaying correctly but I don't see the repeat or SD entries which would have the gray Icon. The iPod Touch shows the repeat and SD entries but only because they're favourites, no Gray Icon either?

Ok, just to be sure I understand what you're seeing...  Are you looking for grey icons next to shows on the My Upcoming Shows page, or on the TV Guide page?  The My Upcoming Shows page still works as before, and only displays red series recording icons and favourites.  If the show is a favourite and also has a grey icon, then you'll see it there as well -- but if it's not a favourite, you won't see the one with the grey icon unless you switch to the TV Guide page.

It's something we're thinking about adding though, the ability to see the grey icon shows on the upcoming page -- could be quite useful.

Thanks,
Russell

Okay so everything is working as you have rolled out then. I was looking for Gray icons in My Upcoming Shows expecting the icon behaviour be the same as web based Interactive page.

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: Trial_Master on July 30, 2009, 10:09:37 AM
Okay so everything is working as you have rolled out then. I was looking for Gray icons in My Upcoming Shows expecting the icon behaviour be the same as web based Interactive page.

I think it is the same as the Interactive web site actually, it doesn't show the grey icons unless they're on shows that are favourites there either.  But it's still something we're thinking about adding.

Russell

Trial_Master

Okay I'm confused. All my Series recording are Favourites. I see the Gray icons in My Upcoming Shows on Web Interactive page, on Mobile Page I don't see the non scheculed recording entries at all! Nothing! No Favourite or Gray icon, only the scheduled recording entry shows with red icon and favourite icon.

iPod Touch shows the Favourite icon but does not show the Gray icon for the non scheculed recording entries

prl

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 30, 2009, 09:50:31 AM
Quote from: prl on July 29, 2009, 03:14:36 PM
Can anyone think of a use case for the "Limit" setting? The only thing that I record that it could apply to is the pair of Scrapheap Challenge episodes on ABC2 on Sunday mornings. But all I can say is that I only want one recorded, not which one, and the documentation doesn't tell me which one will actually get recorded.

It will record the first 'N' shows, as I believe you mentioned in a later post.  So if you set it for one per day, it'll record the first one of the day.  The showings after that would have to be scheduled manually if you had the series recording set that way.

The feature is probably more useful with keyword recordings, where it could match several different shows, to make sure you didn't accidentally record 30 matching shows in one day.  But it's available on series recordings also, in case someone needs it.

Russell
Thanks for getting back on this, Russell. I hadn't thought about it simply being a brake on out-of-control keyword recordings. I still think it could be more useful if there was a way to specify which n, but I appreciate that that would complicate the user interface.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Russell at IceTV

Quote from: Trial_Master on July 30, 2009, 10:17:46 AM
Okay I'm confused. All my Series recording are Favourites. I see the Gray icons in My Upcoming Shows on Web Interactive page, on Mobile Page I don't see the non scheculed recording entries at all! Nothing! No Favourite or Gray icon, only the scheduled recording entry shows with red icon and favourite icon.

iPod Touch shows the Favourite icon but does not show the Gray icon for the non scheculed recording entries

Looks like you have indeed found a bug.  ;D

The mobile Upcoming page should be showing the same thing as the main web site, including favourites that aren't also series recordings.  We'll look into it and get it fixed soon.

Thanks for reporting it.

Russell

prl

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 30, 2009, 09:54:51 AM
Quote from: prl on July 29, 2009, 07:35:34 PM
Suggestion:

A "Show Series Options" (or perhaps "Change Series Options") button when you open an existing recording in the My Upcoming Shows or in the TV Guide views. In these views, even if you click on the Series Details & Upcoming Episodes, you can't change the options for the series recording. It wouldn't harm if you could chage the series options in the Series Details & Upcoming Episodes view, too.

Edit: I see that this facility is available in the My Upcoming Shows and TV Guide views in the Widget. Why not on the Web?

Yes, it's a good suggestion that we looked into actually, and you're right, it is available in the widget.

Without getting into all the gory details, the short answer is that it's way more complicated than it sounds.  It may be something we can add in a future release, but I'm afraid we weren't able to do it this time because of the complexity involved.  Sorry.

Russell

Thanks, Russell, it's good to know that it might get added later.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

kroma

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 30, 2009, 09:56:41 AM
Looks like you're seeing the new page but with the old styling.  Reloading the page should fix it, or if not, try restarting the browser.  I saw the same thing the first time I loaded the guide page after our update, but a reload fixed it.

Thanks Russell, clearing the cache fixed it for me.

Just give me the coffee, and no-one gets hurt!

JPP

Hi,

I'm a little dissapointed that the scheme I suggested some weeks ago to use different recording colour icons for each device was not implemented. Instead we now have different pages for each device which I don't find very convenient to use.

For example, on  the TV Guide Page, you need to select each device separately to see the recordings you have set up on each device. The only other way to see them all is to go to the My Show page as far as I can make out.

I think I suggested Purple as a second colour and Brighty Blue as a third for the Recording Icons - neither of these colours are in use at this time.

Is it too late to consider or implement this kind of scheme?

I think another advantage of this scheme is an easier to follow overview of your recordings to make sure or at least be aware that you may have set more than 2 overlapping time slots on each of your devices. So, when you get an error icon back from your PVR you can more easily see where the problem might be.

Note that we only need different colours for the Recording Icons - Favourites don't need it.
However, if the Error icon could be tied to each Device that would ceratinly be an advantage.

Just thinking about this again, it would also allow you to see if you have set up 2 devices to record the same program at a glance. This has happened to me a few times. And, it's also useful if you wanted to set it up this way deliberately.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

Trial_Master

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 30, 2009, 10:45:38 AM
Quote from: Trial_Master on July 30, 2009, 10:17:46 AM

Looks like you have indeed found a bug.  ;D

The mobile Upcoming page should be showing the same thing as the main web site, including favourites that aren't also series recordings.  We'll look into it and get it fixed soon.

Thanks for reporting it.

Russell

Russell

One other thing I think is a bug, the mobile page used to stay logged in on my Nokia after I accepted to remember log in details. Since the change I have to log in everytime.

prl

I thought that I'd solved my "grey icons" problem yesterday. Apparently not.

Shaun The Sheep ABC2:
   Any Network
   Any Time
   First Runs & Repeats
   Prefer High Def
   Record All

Red Record Series icon showing at:
   15:55 Thurs 30 Jul, Fri 31 Jul, Mon 3 Aug
Red Queued Record Series icon showing at:
   15:55 Tue 4 Aug
Grey Queued Record Series icon showing at:
   15:55 Wed 5 Aug

All of the shows that should have been scheduled on Wed 5 Aug have the same settings as Shaun. Two more (Scrapheap Challenge 18:30 ABC2 and RPA WIN NSW 20:30) are also showing grey Queued Record Series icons. One, with the same settings, (Antiques Roadshow 17:00 WIN NSW) is showing correctly as a red Queued Record Series.

Why are some of the recordings being added correctly and some not? It only seems to be affecting the "new" recordings. What does "Prefer High Def" actually mean? Again the documentation is silent; hardly surprising, since the news item appears to be the only documentation. But I suspect it shouldn't mean what's actually happening.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Trial_Master

I had a Grand Designs that was sitting with Gray Icon, ICE had set that Series to Prefer HD too.

I changed it to Prefer SD and now it's queued up with Red icon, but yeah good question how does the Prefer HD work?

prl

Quote from: Trial_Master on July 30, 2009, 01:16:26 PM
I had a Grand Designs that was sitting with Gray Icon, ICE had set that Series to Prefer HD too.

I changed it to Prefer SD and now it's queued up with Red icon, but yeah good question how does the Prefer HD work?
When I did this exercise yesterday when the new Interactive started up, I did the same as you, but then changed them all back to Prefer HD. That fixed all the entries that were there, or at least i thought so, but then later I noticed that yesterday's Antiques Roadshow had gone grey and it subsequently didn't record.

Switching the quality setting to work around a startup issue is not ideal, but it's not a great problem. Having to check daily whether what appear to me to be perfectly good recording settings are getting the recordings scheduled properly, no thanks.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Trial_Master

Yeah that's pretty ordinary. I didn't change back to Prefer HD but it will be interesting to see what happens with next weeks ep. Maybe I should change it back?

tonymy01

I have about 40 or 50 shows in my list (I have over 80 keywords in perlTGD on the Topfield 5K.. although not related to interactive, but is related to how many show names I want to catch), do I have to go and change each one!??!?  What a pain in the ****.   But briefly checking twice yesterday, grey was what I expected, so... so far so good.   I did start ditching a lot of my keywords for Seven/Ten who often shafted shows off HD and only to SD (well, permanently SD for Ten I suppose eventually), and turned a lot of them back into real series recordings again finally.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).